British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Residency question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/residency-question-504838/)

jrbenny Jan 9th 2008 9:40 am

Residency question

Hello all,i have been through the migration maze and have just received my pr card.My wife is canadian and at present we live in the uk.I have read that when you live with a canadian abroad(not in canada),that this counts as time in canada and goes towards the 3 year out of 5 residency rule.
We aim to move sometime in the future but we have business commitments.

Can anyone help?.

Tangram Jan 9th 2008 11:14 am

Re: Residency question

Originally Posted by jrbenny (Post 5762669)
Hello all,i have been through the migration maze and have just received my pr card.My wife is canadian and at present we live in the uk.I have read that when you live with a canadian abroad(not in canada),that this counts as time in canada and goes towards the 3 year out of 5 residency rule.
We aim to move sometime in the future but we have business commitments.

Can anyone help?.

Yes it does.

Mikelesley Jan 9th 2008 11:20 am

Sorry to sound daft but what do you mean by "3 year out of 5 year rule" On all our paperwork it states that you only have to be resident in CA for 704 days and this does not have to be consecutive.

jrbenny Jan 9th 2008 11:26 am

Sorry mike lesley,meant 2 years from 5,or 730 days.So that means in effect i am Canada does it?

jrbenny Jan 9th 2008 11:31 am

To Tangram,does this mean then that i can apply for a cdn passport after the required time?

Tangram Jan 9th 2008 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jrbenny (Post 5763220)
To Tangram,does this mean then that i can apply for a cdn passport after the required time?

I believe so, after the citizenship exam.

jrbenny Jan 9th 2008 11:38 am

Thanks tangram.

JAJ Jan 9th 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jrbenny (Post 5763220)

No it doesn't because the time counts only for maintaining resident status, not citizenship.

jrbenny Jan 9th 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 5763326)
No it doesn't because the time counts only for maintaining resident status, not citizenship.

Thanks JAJ,i thought as much.As long as i am living oversees though with my canadian wife,i am counted as living in Canada,right?.

Almost Canadian Jan 9th 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by jrbenny (Post 5763375)
Thanks JAJ,i thought as much.As long as i am living oversees though with my canadian wife,i am counted as living in Canada,right?.

Only in respect of maintaining residency, the time abroad does not count towards time required for citizenship

Tangram Jan 9th 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 5763657)
Only in respect of maintaining residency, the time abroad does not count towards time required for citizenship

That's where I was confused.

JAJ Jan 9th 2008 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jrbenny (Post 5763375)

As someone else says, only for keeping residence. Not citizenship.

Bear in mind your wife would likely have made a declaration of intent to move back to Canada as part of the sponsorship process.

Speaking of citizenship, has she got her British citizenship? If not, then now would be a good time for her to apply for naturalisation if she is eligible.