Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Residence Requirement

Residence Requirement

Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:24 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Residence Requirement

Hi,

The authorities doesnot put exit stamp on passport when leaving Canada.It means its possible to count the time spent out of Canada when applying for Canadian citizenship?

In countries like India or in African countries where you can request officials to not to put entry stamp on your passport and thats it....

How they count the actual time of 3 years spent in Canada when applying for Citizenship?

Thanks,
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Hi,

The authorities doesnot put exit stamp on passport when leaving Canada.It means its possible to count the time spent out of Canada when applying for Canadian citizenship?

In countries like India or in African countries where you can request officials to not to put entry stamp on your passport and thats it....

How they count the actual time of 3 years spent in Canada when applying for Citizenship?

Thanks,
You count it and if you lie and get caught, you get into deep, deep water.....isn't it just easier to live in Canada for 3 years and get Citizenship the right way?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 8:38 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by G586
You count it and if you lie and get caught, you get into deep, deep water.....isn't it just easier to live in Canada for 3 years and get Citizenship the right way?
I mean why this part is like a grey area.Why to depend on others/other countries to put and entry stamp and then count citizenship days?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 1:29 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

It is not a grey area in the least, the requirements are very clear and specific. Any time outside of Canada which requires an overnight stay cannot be counted. There are such things as passenger manifests on airlines that immigration gets copies of, a lot of information is exchanged that you or I will never know about. Cross the US border, your passport gets scanned,and pictures taken, it is not just because they want to fill their visitor book.

The residency declaration to some extent relies on the honesty and integrity of the applicant. If an applicant does not tell the truth and gets found out (and they very well might be), they can be stripped of citizenship and possibly exported to whence they came.

CIC can if in doubt or the applicant has been dobbed in by someone else (like good hard working honest Canadians), ask for conclusive proof that they were in the country the required time. If they cannot come up with conclusive proof, dire consequences may rain down on them, as it rightly should.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jul 27th 2008 at 1:40 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean why this part is like a grey area.Why to depend on others/other countries to put and entry stamp and then count citizenship days?
It isn't grey, immigration is a very 'information-led' process.

You tell them whatever you want to tell them (I suggest the truth) they take it at face value if it looks believable, or investigate if it looks suspicious.

Following this once they accept your version, they can at any time go back and look again at the application even 50 years from now. Just be honest it's easier.

Incidentally do you think if you arrived here from elsewhere you wouldn't go back at least once in the three years?? Even if you don't go back given that most of us are within 200km of the US it stands to reason most will have spent at least one night 'down south' in those three years...
Old Jul 27th 2008, 5:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bootlecat
Incidentally do you think if you arrived here from elsewhere you wouldn't go back at least once in the three years?? Even if you don't go back given that most of us are within 200km of the US it stands to reason most will have spent at least one night 'down south' in those three years...
Once again, an example that I must be unique...or at least in the minority.

Been here nearly 4 years, not been back to England, not been to USA.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 7:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

It is up to YOU to prove your residency, not the other way around. That's the point.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

calgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant futurecalgarylady has a brilliant future

That means vacaton days are not counted?
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:19 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calgarylady
That means vacaton days are not counted?
If you are out of the country overnight for whatever reason, it does not count.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 9:20 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by calgarylady
That means vacation days are not counted?
If you leave the country, then I would presume no.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 11:07 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I think they will notice the fact that you have been living overseas for the last couple of years (either New Zealand or Australia not sure which). How have you handled your tax affairs? Judging by your previous posts I would wager that you haven't filed any tax returns for the last year or two that you were out of Canada. So I'm pretty sure that would raise a red flag somewhere. If you were just talking about the odd trip abroad it might be harder for them to figure out. I can't believe you would even think about claiming that you were in Canada for the last couple of years when you were in fact living overseas. I'd love to see you get caught!

By the way, I really loved the posts where you're trying to stay in various countries just by buying a house there. Are you trying to collect as many passports as you can (Oz, Canada, US)?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547085
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547086

Last edited by comet555; Jul 27th 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:00 am
Banned

If you are Canadian as you state, what is the relevance of this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...69#post6565769
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...07#post6551407

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jul 28th 2008 at 12:02 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If you are Canadian as you state, what is the relevance of this thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...69#post6565769
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...07#post6551407
Smartuzza is currently living in Australia (or possibly New Zealand) and he/she is trying to get citizenship there as well.

While at the same time trying to claim that he's been in Canada so he/she can get citizenship there.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:14 am
Banned

Question Re: Residence Requirement

Originally Posted by comet555
I think they will notice the fact that you have been living overseas for the last couple of years (either New Zealand or Australia not sure which). How have you handled your tax affairs? Judging by your previous posts I would wager that you haven't filed any tax returns for the last year or two that you were out of Canada. So I'm pretty sure that would raise a red flag somewhere. If you were just talking about the odd trip abroad it might be harder for them to figure out. I can't believe you would even think about claiming that you were in Canada for the last couple of years when you were in fact living overseas. I'd love to see you get caught!

By the way, I really loved the posts where you're trying to stay in various countries just by buying a house there. Are you trying to collect as many passports as you can (Oz, Canada, US)?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547085
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547086

I think tax return can be filled electronically from overseas and when you take up citizenship of a country then its a second home and it is mandatory to follow all requirements.Some people from Asia or Africa claim that they did like this but its a question in my mind?How this can happen?

Last edited by smurtaza; Jul 28th 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old Jul 28th 2008, 12:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

I think tax return can be filled electronically from overseas and when you take up citizenship of a country then its a second home and it is mandatory to follow all requirements.Some people from Asia or Africa claim that they did like this but its a question in my mind?How this can happen?
Yes.... I'm aware of that.

I think you've missed my point completely!

While you've been away from Canada have you filed any tax returns in Canada, and also in Australia where you've been living?

If you have then the Canadian government should have your Australian address and they would know when you became a non-resident. I've just recently done this myself because we moved to Australia last May. So I know for a fact that the Canadian government knows where we are because we are non-residents in Canada and they have our address here. Plus, we've also filed our taxes in Australia and the two countries have a tax treaty so they do share information.

If you have done any of these things then the Canadian government will know exactly where you are and that you've been out of Canada the last couple of years. If you haven't then the fact that you've not filed your taxes will be a red flag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.