Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is a requirement to speak french in Kingston?

Is a requirement to speak french in Kingston?

Old Nov 13th 2010, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice
Default Is a requirement to speak french in Kingston?

I know that Ontario has a lot of french speakers and Ottawa is a must if you want to find employment, but is it the same for Kingston?

If I do not speak a word of French would it be hard to find employment in front line services?

Last edited by Jay-Producer; Nov 13th 2010 at 10:22 am.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is a requirement to speak french in Kingston?

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
I know that Ontario has a lot of french speakers and Ottawa is a must if you want to find employment, but is it the same for Kingston?

If I do not speak a word of French would it be hard to find employment in front line services?
Some but not all positions in federal and provincial jobs require you to be bi-lingual. In the private sector it's often required for jobs that deal directly with the public.

I worked in the Hi-tech area in Ottawa for 48 years and don't speak French and have never needed it. Only 33% of Ottawa residents are French speaking but few of them are unilingual.

Kingston is about the same.
Old Nov 13th 2010, 8:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Kingston, for the most part is an English speaking city.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Kingston, for the most part is an English speaking city.
Does this include the front line services - i.e. do you need to be bilingual?
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jay-Producer
Does this include the front line services - i.e. do you need to be bilingual?
Generally government offices.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

maggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of lightmaggie and chris is a glorious beacon of light

FWIW, a Canadian friend said that for promotion to a senior level within Correctional Services Canada French would be required - as it is an essential requirement for many senior Government jobs. She also said that a number of employers would pay for French lessons if they wanted to progress someone that way.

I've searched for jobs in my field to see what essential skills are expected - I found it very useful.
Maggie
Old Nov 14th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

No you really don't have to speak french to work in Kingston, unless you are going the government job route.
I don't speak french and I found a job within a week, my wife doesn't speak french and has a front line CSR job at Queen's University. Her mum works for Royal bank, and doesn't speak a word of french. You are fairly safe unless you want a government job.
Check out thewhig.com , there are jobs in there careers section (if you want to get a feel). Queen's University post jobs on Friday...

Last edited by quietgiroth; Nov 14th 2010 at 8:08 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:52 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

You should not find it hard in Kingston without French, or even in Ottawa come to that.
I work in a government office in downtown Ottawa and have to speak to government people in other provinces by phone and I don't speak French. Maybe some you would have to but I aint panicking, also I aint learning French, so there !