Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting in Toronto

Renting in Toronto

Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Toronto

Originally Posted by Allycatnip

Hi All

My partner and I will be moving to Toronto in August (initially for 1 year as I will do a post grad but hoping to stay permanently through finding jobs).

We are unsure of safe and affordable areas to live. We have a budget of about 1200 a month and need a 2 bedroom apartment/condo/flat. We need to be in easy access to Humber College and not more than 40min from downtown.

I would also like to know if you guys have any recommendation for estate agents. There are so many and we don't even know where to start.

Advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks
1200 will not get you a two bed place in the nicer parts of Toronto.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P
Just a warning, be careful when looking at Craiglist (or similar private adverts) for rentals. We found a really lovely house, looked great on google streetmap, included all utilities. Contacted the owner, who came back promptly. My OH just popped his name into google and he appeared on a scam alert website. This was our first enquiry......

We'll be googling all possible rentals in future too.
I have been posting similar warnings on here for the past few months, Craigslist does have some scams. If they want you to send a deposit with a promise that they will send the key by return, think very hard.

For the most part realtors get their commission from the listing agent, so no direct cost to you, however, because the landlord is stumping up 1 month's rent in commission the cheaper end of the rental market tends to be advertised and rented privately, not through the realtor system. $1200 per month is on the borderline, but I think you would have more choice on the private sites. There is another one www.gottarent.com which I didn't see mentioned above - apologies if it is.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allycatnip
We are unsure of safe and affordable areas to live. We have a budget of about 1200 a month and need a 2 bedroom apartment/condo/flat. We need to be in easy access to Humber College and not more than 40min from downtown.
40 minutes from downtown driving at rushhour would be Roncesvales. Seriously, think the other way around. Even faculty members live downtown and use public transport. They get to HUmber in under an hour. Getting to downtown at rushhour can take a lot longer depending on where you live. So if your OH's job is downtown, live closer to it instead of closer to school.

I did test runs from downtown to Humber in a car and it took me 25 minutes at 8.30 AM while at 7.30 it took me just under 40 minutes.

Finding a 2 bed for $1200 is doable but it won't be the nicest place on the planet. mls.ca has rentals, you canlook there. Also, delrentals.com and concertproperties.com, the latter seem very "newcomer" friendly. The one at Village gate west is an easy drive to Humber. There is also a bus on Kippling to Humber.

I've looked at yonge & Eg, Yonge & Sheppard and Yonge & Finch. There are apartment buildings near yonge & eg that are affordable but won't have the same amenities as a condo building.

I've also found that North York seems more expensive than downtown.

As much as I know that my focus is to study, I've come to the conclusion that I *must* be in an area where I feel I am happy and relaxed to be able to be productive. I need city views. More than likely I will end up downtown with an easy access to QEW or Dundas West area. It's just me and my two cats and I can make do with a bachelor (In particular at the icon II on Wellington). I'd love a 1+den though.