Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting Pitfalls in Calgary

Renting Pitfalls in Calgary

Old Aug 13th 2016, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Markicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting Pitfalls in Calgary

This could be one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions , however,

Would anyone advise a suitable amount of time to find a rental in Calgary from landing?

I'm thinking of booking a cheap hotel for 2 weeks or Air BnB for a month and can't decide which to book. Does anyone have any recent experience in this area?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 13th 2016, 8:58 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markicof

Would anyone advise a suitable amount of time to find a rental in Calgary from landing?

I'm thinking of booking a cheap hotel for 2 weeks or Air BnB for a month and can't decide which to book. Does anyone have any recent experience in this area?

Many thanks!
Can't give you a specific time period. But given the vacancy rate in Calgary at this time I don't think it would take you long to find suitable accommodation.

Have a read of this it'll give you some idea of rental conditions.
No rent hikes in the forecast, says Alberta's biggest residential landlord | Cal

Cheers
Old Aug 16th 2016, 2:51 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks!
How many people would be staying while you find a place? I' recommend an AirBnB.

Typically the rentals start on the 1st of the month, although this doesn't apply to all rentals.

I'd advise using Rentfaster as I personally stay away from Kijiji. I'd give myself 2-3 weeks to find the "ideal" place, this would take into account losing out to other people and trying to source a place. You could find somewhere quicker if you don't have a long list of requirements.

The market in YYC is very good for renters, lots available and lots of incentives. So long as you don't have five great danes and 10 kids I think you'll be fine.

Where are you working? What areas are you looking at (schooling, transport etc.)
Old Aug 16th 2016, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Markicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond reputeMarkicof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
How many people would be staying while you find a place? I' recommend an AirBnB.

Typically the rentals start on the 1st of the month, although this doesn't apply to all rentals.

I'd advise using Rentfaster as I personally stay away from Kijiji. I'd give myself 2-3 weeks to find the "ideal" place, this would take into account losing out to other people and trying to source a place. You could find somewhere quicker if you don't have a long list of requirements.

The market in YYC is very good for renters, lots available and lots of incentives. So long as you don't have five great danes and 10 kids I think you'll be fine.

Where are you working? What areas are you looking at (schooling, transport etc.)
Good shout on Air BnB, we will be using it for sure.

I'm working from home as a contractor but the Mrs is working out by the Airport. Been looking at NW, SE and Aidrie and honestly can't decide.

Schools are not an issue for us just yet but daycare is. We will need to find a daycare within 3 weeks before work starts!

Seems like an ideal market at the minute and the decision will come down to location - most 3 bedrooms look identical compared to the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 3:40 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I would't go for the SE if she is working by the airport, rush hour from the SE would not be fun IMO. I like the NW and I know people who like living in Airdrie.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Good shout on Air BnB, we will be using it for sure.

I'm working from home as a contractor but the Mrs is working out by the Airport. Been looking at NW, SE and Aidrie and honestly can't decide.

Schools are not an issue for us just yet but daycare is. We will need to find a daycare within 3 weeks before work starts!

Seems like an ideal market at the minute and the decision will come down to location - most 3 bedrooms look identical compared to the UK.
I've read NE is often cheaper because it is overlooked. NE seemed to have some nice places too. I noticed when we did a recce that traffic around the deer foot trail near the airport could suck around rush hour, but it wasn't as bad as UK standards.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 4:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I noticed when we did a recce that traffic around the deer foot trail near the airport could suck around rush hour, but it wasn't as bad as UK standards.
Don't underestimate how much influence the seasons can have on travel to and from work. Throw in some bad winter weather and you might crave for UK commutes.
Old Aug 16th 2016, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

UK_Dolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding the original post: I've lived in Calgary for a few years and haven't had issues with credit check/ references. Perhaps just bring a signed reference with you from the UK/ have someone in the UK willing to respond to a phone call or email from the potential landlord in Calgary. I moved here from Ontario and after my landlady couldn't get hold of my landlords in Ontario she just gave up and offered me the place anyway because she wanted me as a tenant. My current landlord didn't even bother with the references and credit check because he liked us as tenants.
Check out rentfaster.ca and kijiji.ca for places to rent. The rent has dropped in the last few months and there are tons of places to rent here- you won't have a problem finding something fast.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Don't underestimate how much influence the seasons can have on travel to and from work. Throw in some bad winter weather and you might crave for UK commutes.
Very good point Rich!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 12:09 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe check out the communities in the north that are 'across' from the airport e.g. Country Hills, Panorama, around Stoney Trail, down Centre Street - there's lots of routes that you can go E-W to get to the airport then and you don't have to do Deerfoot.

I used to commute to the NE from Panorama Hills in morning and afternoon rush hour - you have a few options if traffic is bad and its not a bad run by UK traffic jam standards!
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Maybe check out the communities in the north that are 'across' from the airport e.g. Country Hills, Panorama, around Stoney Trail, down Centre Street - there's lots of routes that you can go E-W to get to the airport then and you don't have to do Deerfoot.

I used to commute to the NE from Panorama Hills in morning and afternoon rush hour - you have a few options if traffic is bad and its not a bad run by UK traffic jam standards!
Very good point, I've already been lookingn in these areas. What time does rush hour start in Calgary? The OH has good hours to try and avoid the traffic 7:30am to 4pm.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point, I've already been lookingn in these areas. What time does rush hour start in Calgary? The OH has good hours to try and avoid the traffic 7:30am to 4pm.
Those times are well with the rush hour in Calgary. Not the busiest times for sure, but traffic will be heavy at those times.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

ChrisG1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am new on here, also thinking about relocation to Calgary, In fact we haven't submitted the Express entry application yet so it will take some time from now. I saw the post above about working remotely which I feel can also apply to my situation.. I am a communication engineer working remotely for a Swiss company from the UK so I can pretty much work where ever I want. Is this acceptable as a means of working when becoming permanent resident?
Old Sep 7th 2016, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisG1
Hi,

I am new on here, also thinking about relocation to Calgary, In fact we haven't submitted the Express entry application yet so it will take some time from now. I saw the post above about working remotely which I feel can also apply to my situation.. I am a communication engineer working remotely for a Swiss company from the UK so I can pretty much work where ever I want. Is this acceptable as a means of working when becoming permanent resident?
I am PR, I work from home in Calgary for the UK MOD. All aspects of my work are UK based. I am paid in £ and currently pay my tax to UK. I plan on changing this to pay into the local system, as it is their facilities I am using. ( Hospitals, Dr, library, school, roads and so on).

If they are paying you well enough to live on, change as little as possible initially, there is enough change here to keep you on your toes.
Old Sep 7th 2016, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute

It's just been confirmed for me this afternoon that my LMIA has been approved and the employer wants me in Calgary for the end of October. Everything though in setting myself up is to be paid by me as it's a small company, which is fine, although I have to be very cost conscious.

I've been looking at Rentfaster and AirBNB for a couple of months and there are a couple of questions I have:

1. Does Calgary have any rent control regulation or could the landlords jack up the rent as much as they like when the markets undoubtedly change again?

2. If I looked for an AirBnB place, does a month rental seem excessive/about right to get myself sorted? Any hostels or other short term ideas?

3. Anything that is particularly different between the UK and Calgary rental procedures that I can prepare for?

4. Thoughts on parking options, eg covered, exposed, underground ,(powered is it as well??)

Any thought would be really appreciated!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.