Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renting out UK property on existing mortgage?

Renting out UK property on existing mortgage?

Old May 19th 2008, 6:42 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting out UK property on existing mortgage?

Originally Posted by bazzz
They didn't, but I wasn't trying to sell my flat.
Surely that's worse in their eyes? Cos if your intention is to not sell, then you should be on a buy to let mortgage?
Old May 19th 2008, 6:48 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
Surely that's worse in their eyes? Cos if your intention is to not sell, then you should be on a buy to let mortgage?
Maybe, but they probably realised that if I'd had to change to a different product then I'd probably have gone elsewhere. This was a few years back, so the market was quite different then. They're probably going to be a bit more cautious now.
Old May 19th 2008, 7:12 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe, but they probably realised that if I'd had to change to a different product then I'd probably have gone elsewhere. This was a few years back, so the market was quite different then. They're probably going to be a bit more cautious now.
A few years ago they probably would have given you a brown bag full of used 20's if you'd asked for them!

I guess a trip to the bank manager is in order....
Old May 19th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G77
With the housing market as it is, starting to face the fact that we may have to rent out our UK house till the market settles down.

We don't own enough equity in our house to convert to a buy to let mortgage, so we would have to get the bank (HSBC) to agree to let us rent out on our existing mortgage for a period of time - does anyone have any experience of doing this?

I've spoken to their call centre and they say it's down to the discretion of the lending branch, so I'll have to go in and see them

Also - other daft questions about renting :-

* What % do letting agents generally charge for acting as the landlord?

* If your property stands empty for a while, as well as the mortgage, are you liable for paying council tax and utilities (standing charges)?

* Are you more or less likely to get/maintain tenants with a furnished or unfurnished property?

Thanks.

Hi G77

we have spoke to 3 different renting agents and 2 of them quoted 10% charge and the 3rd quoted 8% !!! each will provide the full service, ie inventory, credit checks, video of home and such like.

However, each one of them gave a different price on the rent! £160 difference between the first agent and the last!!

the tenant is responsable for the utility bills, phone,tv licence, prop tax and so on and also they have to take out contents insurance. You would have to have your own buildings insurance in place too!

Speak to a good financial adviser who could possibly get you a better deal on a re-mortgage.
I can recommend a good friend if you want to PM me?? after all, it would only cost you a phone call?

You also have to get your central heating/gas cooker/gas fire etc certified, which could cost ££££, plus anything electrical from cookers to sockets certicertifiedell. Make sure your pipes to the boiler are "earthed".

Basically, you need to cover your arse in every sense of the word, because if a tenant can find a reason not to pay the rent - they will !!!!

hope this helps, if you need anymore info please pm...

Sue....
Old May 19th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

ignore the spelling - ime on my third brandy!!!!
Old May 19th 2008, 9:03 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure electrical certification is optional, but gas is mandatory.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure electrical certification is optional, but gas is mandatory.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...ome/DG_4001394
Old May 19th 2008, 9:14 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Twink001

Speak to a good financial adviser who could possibly get you a better deal on a re-mortgage.
I can recommend a good friend if you want to PM me?? after all, it would only cost you a phone call?
I doubt anyone would want to touch us with a re-mortgage at the moment, we own less than 2%, so would need a 98% mortgage AND be able to let it out - that'd be a tall order at the moment....
Old May 19th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
I doubt anyone would want to touch us with a re-mortgage at the moment, we own less than 2%, so would need a 98% mortgage AND be able to let it out - that'd be a tall order at the moment....
It's actually the fees with the BTL mortgages that may be an issue. We recently took one out with a 2.5% fee. It was a fairly good deal but that level of fee is now on mortgages that aren't that great. Plus, the 100% deals have gone and they have also raised the minimum salary level for applicants, even though a BTL mortgage doesn't rely on income but rental level.

My broker, who was chirpy a few months ago is now describing the situation as grim.
Old May 19th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G77
Thanks for the replies, most useful.
No worries. That's what these forums are for, isn't it?

Originally Posted by G77
Did you have much equity in your UK property? We only own about 2% and I believe a buy to let mortgage needs you to own/put down 30% - obviously we don't have that kind of cash hanging around!
Thinking back, we probably owned no more than 20% of the property at the time.

The other thing I forgot to mention is to be prepared to pay the mortgage for a number of months. For one reason or another, we haven't had any rent now for six months. We should be getting rent this month, thankfully.

Hope his helps;

--paj
Old May 19th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

BATUSVirgin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by G77
With the housing market as it is, starting to face the fact that we may have to rent out our UK house till the market settles down.

We don't own enough equity in our house to convert to a buy to let mortgage, so we would have to get the bank (HSBC) to agree to let us rent out on our existing mortgage for a period of time - does anyone have any experience of doing this?I had to do this with my flat, fortunately they agreed and I didn't have to pay any fees or anything. (Not sure if that was the norm or just some forces discount offer thing)

I've spoken to their call centre and they say it's down to the discretion of the lending branch, so I'll have to go in and see them

Also - other daft questions about renting :-

* What % do letting agents generally charge for acting as the landlord? My agents charge 8% all in. It was 10% but they couldn't get the rent I was hoping for so they dropped their charges. Incidentally I don't pay tax on the rent but I do pay VAT on the Agents charges.

* If your property stands empty for a while, as well as the mortgage, are you liable for paying council tax and utilities (standing charges)?As someone else has said, council tax and utilities are the responsibility of the tenant unless it's empty in which case you pay the bill. I just got a bill for 5 days between tenants.

* Are you more or less likely to get/maintain tenants with a furnished or unfurnished property? Don't know, I guess it depends on your property and the market you are aiming at. My flat is fully furnished and I hace a young couple in there, my wifes house is semi furnished and has a divorced professional in it.

Thanks.
Hope this helps.
Old May 19th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

There seems quite a varioation in prices for letting agents.

The 20% I had been quoted was for a full management service, not just dealing with the letting process. So if there was a plumbing/electrical problem or some other maintenance issue, the tenants would call the letting agency not me and they would deal with getting the tradesmen in as needed.

Is any of that included in the prices others are quoting? If not, how would you manage that from another continent?
Old May 19th 2008, 11:58 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
There seems quite a varioation in prices for letting agents.

The 20% I had been quoted was for a full management service, not just dealing with the letting process. So if there was a plumbing/electrical problem or some other maintenance issue, the tenants would call the letting agency not me and they would deal with getting the tradesmen in as needed.

Is any of that included in the prices others are quoting? If not, how would you manage that from another continent?
We pay 10%for full management service which includes the above - they just have to get my approval if the work is over a certain amount.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Can't answer all your questions but the bits I know are:

Letting agents charge around 20% for a full service.
Council tax is payable continuously if there is any furniture in the house. If it is completely empty you get 6 months free.

I hope this helps.
I was told by my local council if the house is habitable you must pay council tax. I asked what was classed as habitable...they said if there's a cooker in it.
Old May 20th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
We pay 10%for full management service which includes the above - they just have to get my approval if the work is over a certain amount.
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.