Renting in Ontario

Wikiposts

Renting in Ontario

Old Oct 26th 2012, 5:09 am
Just Joined

spam-marie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Ontario

Hi everyone,

A quick introduction: my husband and I are planning on moving to southern Ontario in about a year's time, arriving with PR status. When we arrive, we won't have any pre-arranged employment, however we will be needing somewhere to rent in the very near future, in all likelihood before we manage to secure a job.

I've done a lot of reading on the forum, and as I understand it Ontario landlords cannot ask for more than a month's rent as a deposit. Since we would be unemployed, and they can only have a relatively modest deposit, we need to know if this would cause a problem. We would be happy to pay 6 months or even a year's rent up front, but we weren't sure if a landlord in Ontario would or could accept that.

Are Ontario landlords allowed to accept part or whole of the year's rent upfront, and if so, would they be likely to do so?

Failing that, how do other newly arrived and looking for work immigrants manage? We really don't want to stay in a hotel longer than necessary.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Spam-Marie
Old Oct 26th 2012, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Ontario

Originally Posted by spam-marie
Hi everyone,

A quick introduction: my husband and I are planning on moving to southern Ontario in about a year's time, arriving with PR status. When we arrive, we won't have any pre-arranged employment, however we will be needing somewhere to rent in the very near future, in all likelihood before we manage to secure a job.

I've done a lot of reading on the forum, and as I understand it Ontario landlords cannot ask for more than a month's rent as a deposit. Since we would be unemployed, and they can only have a relatively modest deposit, we need to know if this would cause a problem. We would be happy to pay 6 months or even a year's rent up front, but we weren't sure if a landlord in Ontario would or could accept that.

Are Ontario landlords allowed to accept part or whole of the year's rent upfront, and if so, would they be likely to do so?

Failing that, how do other newly arrived and looking for work immigrants manage? We really don't want to stay in a hotel longer than necessary.

Spam-Marie
Landlords are generally very happy to accept rent up front, and it can sometimes be the only way to secure rental accommodation if you have no employment letter and no credit history. Landlords in Ontario are not allowed to demand more than one months rent as a rental deposit, however, if you offer to pay rent up front then they can accept it. They are not permitted to ask for any form of security deposit other than a rental deposit, which means that whatever you pay them is applied against the rent, rather than held by the landlord and then returned to you. Two months rent payable upon agreement to rent is common, the first month in advance and another month which is applied to the last month of your rental period (which is effectively the security deposit).

Landlords are also not permitted to insist on post dated cheques to be handed over to cover the rest of the rental period, however many tenants choose to do this as it is a simple way of ensuring the rent is paid on time.

The above applies to Ontario - other Provinces have different rules. Also does not apply to short term holiday lets in Ontario where security deposits can be demanded.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer. That is how we thought it worked, we just wanted to check as these things can be confusing when immigrating, especially when each province has different rules.

Knowing that we won't have any credit history and are unlikely to have employment by the time we look to rent, it's good that landlords will accept rent paid in advance, as this looks like it will be our only means of securing rental accomodation.

Thanks again,
Spam-Marie
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:46 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I have vague recollections of us being in a similar position ( no jobs no credit history but a shed load of savings)

I think we offered a years up front

we had a realtor (that shouldn't cost you anything they get their commission from the renter), that helped us frame our offer.

it is doable.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your answer. That is how we thought it worked, we just wanted to check as these things can be confusing when immigrating, especially when each province has different rules.

Knowing that we won't have any credit history and are unlikely to have employment by the time we look to rent, it's good that landlords will accept rent paid in advance, as this looks like it will be our only means of securing rental accomodation.

Thanks again,
Spam-Marie
You don't necessarily have to pay up front, if you have a lot of savings and can show him a bank statement he may be happy with that, and the two months deposit. And some won't take you without an income no matter how much money you have. It totally depends on the individual landlord. Lots of people arrive in your position and they do get sorted. As Zoe says it is absolutely doable.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 12:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies, I thought we couldn't be the only ones in this situation!
Old Oct 28th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your replies, I thought we couldn't be the only ones in this situation!
You are welcome, the move can be really stressful and trying to work out what rules apply, and where, is something of a nightmare.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Paying a year up front, when you don't have to sounds a lot - a big commitment when you have no idea how the year will pan out ...

I'd only pay enough to secure a rental.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 4:09 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Spam-Marie
just to let you know that some of the chains, motel 6, quality, comfort etc will give you a reduced price for a longer stay. You can also negotiate for lower price if you have less housekeeping done. Ask for a fridge and microwave in the room. If you're a family then places have suites with kitchenetts