British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Renting a home in Toronto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/renting-home-toronto-897125/)

SteveJ61 May 23rd 2017 3:54 pm

Renting a home in Toronto

Hi,
Newbie here looking to pick your brains!
My wife and I plan to live in Toronto for a year or two from September this year, and so are looking to rent a home in Toronto. What would the landlords and letting agents want from us to show we'd be good tenants? We don't have a Canadian credit score, or bank account at the moment.

Thanks

SteveJ61

HGerchikov May 24th 2017 4:14 am

Re: Renting a home in Toronto

If you have employment that would definitely help, they would ask for a letter from your employer stating length of time worked there plus salary. Also proof that you have money, which could be bank statements from wherever your account currently is. Pull your UK credit report and bring that too. Plus any references from previous landlords or people that have known you for a while. Some landlords won't consider anyone without the exact documents they want but others will if you can show them enough to demonstrate that you are a decent person and in a position to pay the rent.

SteveJ61 May 24th 2017 7:10 am

HGerchikov,

Thanks, that's very helpful.

SteveJ61

DandNHill May 25th 2017 11:45 am

We've rented a few times and I can honestly say that we have been successful based on the landlords gut feeling.
Not one has actually taken up references or checked our credit!!

MarylandNed May 25th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12260291)
We've rented a few times and I can honestly say that we have been successful based on the landlords gut feeling.

We've also rented several times (including 3 long term rentals in Toronto). No landlord has ever checked our references or even employment details. First and last month's rent up front usually does the trick!

SteveJ61 May 25th 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks guys - that's encouraging. Time t ogo and knock on a few doors, I think.

R I C H May 25th 2017 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by SteveJ61 (Post 12260460)
Thanks guys - that's encouraging. Time t ogo and knock on a few doors, I think.

Remember these are just a handful of anecdotes. I'm a landlord and always check references and employment details - be prepared for the same.

JamesM May 26th 2017 2:58 pm

References, Letter of Employment and don't be surprised if they want 6 months up front due to the lack of credit history.

The rental market is pretty fierce in Toronto at the moment because Air'BnB has swallowed up half the inventory.

spookylady May 26th 2017 8:29 pm

just to let you know, to rent a home in Toronto you are looking at $3000 upwards. these do not include electric or gas or water. Apartments are cheaper and most people rent a 1 bedroomed which can be approx $1200 to $2800 depending on the area if you require a car then add $150+ to your rent for parking. Milton is approx 1 hour away and the house rentals are approx $1900 to $2500 per month (these area limited) Please note most rental places are currently doing bidding wars for the highest payer.

HGerchikov May 26th 2017 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12260992)
References, Letter of Employment and don't be surprised if they want 6 months up front due to the lack of credit history.

The rental market is pretty fierce in Toronto at the moment because Air'BnB has swallowed up half the inventory.

It's actually in contravention of the residential tenancies act for a landlord to insist on more than first and last month's rent as a deposit. However you, as the tenant, can offer it. If the landlord includes it as a requirement , even if you pay it, after you move in, you can report him and he will be forced to refund your additional payments. It won't help your landlord/tenant relationship though.

DandNHill May 27th 2017 2:16 am

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 12261173)
It's actually in contravention of the residential tenancies act for a landlord to insist on more than first and last month's rent as a deposit. However you, as the tenant, can offer it. If the landlord includes it as a requirement , even if you pay it, after you move in, you can report him and he will be forced to refund your additional payments. It won't help your landlord/tenant relationship though.

Funny you should say that. In a previous rental the landlord wanted $1000 as the propane tank was full. We would get it back when we left providing the tank was full. Things got bad between us and we ended up in tenancy court. The first thing the judge told the landlord was that the security deposit on the propane needed to be refunded!!!

OrangeMango May 28th 2017 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12260291)

You may have been just lucky. But again, it's good to have a positive experience.

What I had to learn twice is that some condos have issues with bed bugs and not every landlord is willing to accept that that's a problem, that something needs to be done about it, etc....

These kind of problems are more in the 70ies or 60ies style condo high rises around Howard Street, Isabella, Sherbourne, Parliament and the whole St. Jame's area.

dbd33 May 28th 2017 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12261939)
You may have been just lucky. But again, it's good to have a positive experience.

What I had to learn twice is that some condos have issues with bed bugs and not every landlord is willing to accept that that's a problem, that something needs to be done about it, etc....

These kind of problems are more in the 70ies or 60ies style condo high rises around Howard Street, Isabella, Sherbourne, Parliament and the whole St. Jame's area.

Bed Bug Reports for Toronto

DandNHill May 29th 2017 1:20 am

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 12261939)

I worked for a bed bug detection agency. I understand.

Yes we might have been lucky. But that means we've been lucky four times in a row...

BristolUK May 29th 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by DandNHill (Post 12262037)
I worked for a bed bug detection agency...

Blimey, between you and dbd you must have very nearly everything. :rofl: