Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rental in Victoria

Rental in Victoria

Old Jul 31st 2021, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

WinBelle23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rental in Victoria

We have PR and will be 'landing' on September 9th for an initial six-month stay. I am wondering whether there is any resource/portal for renting furnished property on the Southern part of Vancouver Island apart, of course, from Airbnb and VRBO.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

Jenny
Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental in Victoria

Exciting times! You might want to read our wiki on renting in Canada and ensure you know the tenancy regulations etc., so you don't get caught out. It also has a list of websites you can look for a rental on.
Do be careful of Craiglist, lots of scams - if it seems to good to be true, it probably is. You might struggle to find furnished property unless you are prepared to pay a high rent for an 'executive' type of place. Furnished long term accommodation is not the norm in Canada. What range do you want to pay - and what kind of accommodation - an apartment, house, cottage, condo, duplex?

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Renting-Canada
https://www.padmapper.com/apartments...356,48.6539472

These websites may be of use for furnished - but be warned, they're not cheap!

http://www.victoriastays.com/ - they are a mainly for 1 month rentals, but they advertise
6 month lease: Contact us for special Pricing (Sept - May only)
so may work for you.
https://downtownfurnishedrentals.com...ty-for-rent-2/

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 1st 2021 at 6:07 am.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 6:34 am
Just Joined

This is great. Thanks for this info, I will look into it tomorrow when I have more energy!

Currently looking at AirBnb and the cheapest I can find (which is habitable) is around 70 per night. When compared to a hotel it does sound bad but when I multiply it by the number of days we're there it is mind-blowingly expensive...
Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WinBelle23
This is great. Thanks for this info, I will look into it tomorrow when I have more energy!

Currently looking at AirBnb and the cheapest I can find (which is habitable) is around 70 per night. When compared to a hotel it does sound bad but when I multiply it by the number of days we're there it is mind-blowingly expensive...
$1,960 a month fully inclusive of utilities (and furnished) is cheap for Vancouver! - BC = Bring Cash.
AirBnB Victoria - do check that the $70 is for the whole place, not just a room.. from AirBnB -
The average monthly price is $4,999 CAD

I also found this, which may be of use (Vacation Rentals By Owner) - they give an all inclusive price: https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...577613.2138850

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 1st 2021 at 7:22 am.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Be warned, Vancouver Island is one of the places beloved by Canadian snowbirds wanting to get away from winters in most other provinces, so prices for accommodation are high, and places scarce. The other places frequented by snowbirds are Florida, California, Arizona and Mexico.

Lots of people have RVs that they use to drive from their home, pulling a car behind (or with a 2nd driver),and settle in at an RV park for the winter. All pads booked ahead from year to year.

Many many others take furnished cottages and apartments that rented by the month through the summer by holiday makers and then for 5-6 months a time by snowbirds, again often booked from year to year.

All this makes any type of short term rentals on the Island expensive.

Those are the only types of furnished accommodation that are available in any quantity in Victoria or elsewhere on the Island. Otherwise, you really are looking at the Victoria site that Siouxie gave you, AirBnB, or the dodgier Craigslist. You could check on line to see if Nanaimo, Duncan, Courtney/Comox, Sooke, etc have any similar sites to the Victoria one.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 7:55 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Occasional poster here, Frasernn (I've forgotten the number) has a place in Victoria rented out through AirBnB. I don't know if it's suitable but it will be what he represents it to be. I'll ping him, see if he wants to come to the thread.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

That is less than $2200 per month, and, as its airbnb will include all utilities and furnished. What price were you expecting? I think you might be in for a shock.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
That is less than $2200 per month, and, as its airbnb will include all utilities and furnished. What price were you expecting? I think you might be in for a shock.
Doesn't seem like a bad price at all considering the furnished part and no utilities part.

Average 1bedroom apartment in Victoria looks to hover around $1,500 per month with a 2bedroom just hovering around 2,000/month, so 2,100/month fully furnished seems reasonable.

Our apartment in Vancouver was $60/night average if you broke the rent down by day, but not furnished and nothing included.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Hi, sorry I meant £ not $! We have always used Airbnb when visiting in the summer so I’m familiar with the prices but when it’s six months it suddenly seems astronomical LOL. if only our son had a two-bedroom apartment, sigh.