Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rental References ?

Rental References ?

Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

techwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant futuretechwizard has a brilliant future
Default Rental References ?

Hi all,

When we move to BC in a few weeks, it is our plan to rent a place for a little while before deciding whether to buy.

A lot of adverts for suites and condos for rent ask for references. If I have owned property in the UK and never rented, who do they expect the references to come from ?

GW
Old Aug 7th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Helena81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rental References ?

I would also like to ask this question. My husband and I live in Cyprus, and it would be easy for us to obtain rental references from our previous two landlords. Would they even be considered in Canada? We wouldn't like the thought of moving there and not being able to rent a place of our own!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:40 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

When we rented in BC we didn't need to give any references though did say if there was a problem we would be willing to put down a larger deposit. This always seemed to do the trick - even though no-one actually asked us to put down a larger deposit!
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:07 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by techwizard
Hi all,

When we move to BC in a few weeks, it is our plan to rent a place for a little while before deciding whether to buy.

A lot of adverts for suites and condos for rent ask for references. If I have owned property in the UK and never rented, who do they expect the references to come from ?

GW

As a property manager, I always make sure that expats have a job to come to if they have no references. I have told people (and it has worked) to get a letter from your current neighbour, stating that you are nice ( only if you are) cut the grass, quite and that you have looked after your current house.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 2:47 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
When we rented in BC we didn't need to give any references though did say if there was a problem we would be willing to put down a larger deposit. This always seemed to do the trick - even though no-one actually asked us to put down a larger deposit!
That's not actually legal though is it? I thought they were only allowed to hold half a month's rent as damage deposit.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:05 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
That's not actually legal though is it? I thought they were only allowed to hold half a month's rent as damage deposit.
Well no, it isn't legal, which we knew, so we knew no-one would take us up on the offer, but it sounded good....
Old Aug 7th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Helena81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Well no, it isn't legal, which we knew, so we knew no-one would take us up on the offer, but it sounded good....
haha - that's great, Amy.
Old Aug 7th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techwizard
Hi all,

GW
Hi,

The majority of landlords are looking for your ability to pay the lease and also how responsible you are to look after the property and how financially responsible you are. Most will not be interested in handing over the keys to the castle just because you say you are a nice person....and I am sure you are. This is also a product of supply verses demand as in Toronto Landlords can be a bit picky with this as another potential renter will be along shortly.

Here in Ontario, most landlords require a Rental Application, employment letter to show that you have income and a credit report. Like most things, things change from Province to Province. Looking good on paper is key to renting a place quickly and in a location that you want to live. Without employment it is tricky.

Here is an Ontario standard Rental Application as an example.

Hope that this helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rental Application.pdf (43.8 KB, 1344 views)