Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing UK Passport from Canada

Renewing UK Passport from Canada

Old Dec 17th 2013, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Renewing UK Passport from Canada

Okay, so it's no secret that I was delighted to see the contact details for passport renewals under "How to Apply" change from Washington US to Durham UK in the last few months.

As I am now ready to put things together for a new passport, I decided to dig up the HM Gov UK website tonight.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...wing_new/adult

It now appears that as of today, December 16th, the initial form filling is now carried out online, so I assume that after some kind of approval in principle, you later send along your old passport, along with the two new photos???

Oh well, will research things further, just wanted to hear from others who may have taken the plunge, since these latest changes to the procedure.

Either way, I am pleased to be dealing direct with the UK (gives us that warm and fuzzy feeling )

All the best!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing UK Passport from Canada

It's good isn't it. How very modern of them! That's not a bad processing time either, I guess.

"How long it takes
Your application will take at least 4 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK.

Applications may take longer if:

HM Passport Office need to ask you for more information or documents
the photographs you send are rejected
Don’t book any travel until you have a valid passport. If you need to travel more urgently, apply for an Emergency Travel Document.

Cost
You’ll have to pay a fee for your passport and a courier fee of £19.86. The courier fee pays for your passport and supporting documents to be sent back to you securely.

Passport type Passport fee Total to pay (including courier fee)
Child passport £81.50 £101.36
How to apply
You must apply and pay for your passport online.

Before you start you need:

your current passport
2 identical new photos of you (or your child, if it’s a child passport application)
any other current passports issued by other countries
a MasterCard, Visa, Visa Electron, Visa Debit or Maestro (UK Domestic) card - Maestro (International) cards aren’t accepted
Read the guidance notes to help you fill in your online application. Check which supporting documents you must send with your application. Any documents that aren’t in English (including documents showing an address) must be translated by a professional translator.

You will need to print, sign and post your declaration form at the end.

Start your application on Her Majesty’s Passport Office website

Getting your passport
Your passport and supporting documents will be delivered separately by courier.

Track your application
Call the Passport Adviceline.

Passport Adviceline +44 (0) 300 222 0000"
Old Dec 18th 2013, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

So ... the main debate I am hearing right now, is the colour of the backdrop.

I saw in another topic, that "off white" is acceptable, which places like Costco etc can produce, yet Costco staff will turn you away, as they are aware that UK specification is "cream or grey" backdrop.

Is it safe to produce "off white" passport photos, when you are outside the UK?

All the best.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
So ... the main debate I am hearing right now, is the colour of the backdrop.

I saw in another topic, that "off white" is acceptable, which places like Costco etc can produce, yet Costco staff will turn you away, as they are aware that UK specification is "cream or grey" backdrop.

Is it safe to produce "off white" passport photos, when you are outside the UK?

All the best.
I'll have to check what Walmart use as I had not really thought about this.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the backdrop isn't glaring brilliant white you should be fine. US applicants seem to do well at Walgreen's as they can produce UK size photos.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess the obvious way to help things along, would be to wear dark clothing and hope that all it's good enough for meeting UK requirements.

As I may have mentioned above, although turned away from Costco, they did state that their setup was a "soft white" backdrop.

So ... I am now wondering if I am safe to take the risk and trot back down to Costco in the next couple of days?

All the best and thanks for the input folks!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:48 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the obvious way to help things along, would be to wear dark clothing and hope that all it's good enough for meeting UK requirements.

As I may have mentioned above, although turned away from Costco, they did state that their setup was a "soft white" backdrop.

So ... I am now wondering if I am safe to take the risk and trot back down to Costco in the next couple of days?

All the best and thanks for the input folks!
Take a cream or pale grey board with you and ask them to use that.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We have had no issues with passport photos from Shoppers. This includes 3 adult passports, and 2 child ones. For the little ones, they actually laid a sheet on the floor, laid them down and stood over them for the photo, which was so much easier than trying to hold up a baby with a floppy head without being seen!
Old Dec 19th 2013, 4:06 pm
Going back....

Scrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond reputeScrapcat has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter's was done in Walmart with a white background and her passport arrived with no issues.
Old Dec 19th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I emailed Gov.UK late last night, hoping to receive an actual written reply, with some consideration for folks outside of the UK (Canada in my case).

Surprise, Surprise!!! ... all I received was a "cut and paste" of their current guidelines, which pretty much paraphrases (only with more script) the outline they have on their passport renewal web page.

So, thanks for your replies above people - your responses may encourage "taking the risk" with Costco's "soft white" background, so long as they read my UK guidelines page and ensure they get the size right!?!?

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Below are the current guidelines for passport photo's given be Her Majesty's Passport Office.

The guidance booklet in your application pack includes information on the standards required for your passport photograph. The guidance is based on internationally agreed standards and explains very clearly what kind of photographs are and are not acceptable. We ask passport applicants to follow the guidance carefully as passport applications may be delayed if the submitted photographs do not meet our standards.

Since 12 September 2005, all photographs have needed to meet the new specification. Existing passport holders will not need to have their current passports updated, but they will have to comply with the new photograph rules when they renew their passports.

Among the specifications set out in the leaflet are the following:

Applicants must submit two identical photographs, which have been taken in the last month. If a countersignature is required, one must be free of writing or printing on the back. They should be taken against a cream, or light grey, plain background so that the applicant's features are clearly distinguishable against the background. From 1st October 2008 Her Majesty's Passport Office will no longer be able to accept photographs taken against a white background as this can cause glare, definition and contrast issues.

The photographs should be printed on plain white photo quality paper and be 45mm x 35mm in size. The photographs need not be white on the back, watermarks and trade markings will be accepted providing they do not clearly show through the photograph. Embossed photographs will not be accepted nor will paper with serrated edges.

Each photograph should show a close up of the applicant's head and shoulders so that the head is approximately 29mm to 34mm high for adults. For children the face should be between 21mm and 34mm high.

Photographs must be free from red-eye and free from copyright. School photographs can be accepted and we will assume that consent has been agreed.

Photographs must be in sharp focus and clear with a strong definition between the face and the background. Photographs that are blurred, too dark or too light will not be accepted. Photographs must be free from damage, e.g. creases, ink marks, staple marks or paperclip indents. Photographs printed at home are unlikely to be of an acceptable quality.

There must be no shadows either on or around the face or significant shadow in the background, particularly above the ears. Small shadows beneath the ears can be accepted providing there is clear definition between the face and background.

Hats and other head coverings are not allowed unless worn for religious reasons. Scarves or other head coverings worn for medical reasons are acceptable, but the applicant must confirm this in writing with their application.

Dark tinted glasses are not allowed, and glasses must not show any glare near the eye socket. Frames of glasses must not obscure the eye (defined as the white, pupil and iris of the eye). Where possible we suggest that you remove your glasses to avoid the possibility of rejection.

There should be no hair over the eyes.

The photograph must be of the applicant on their own, with no other people visible. It must show their full face, looking straight at the camera, with a neutral expression and with their mouth closed. The head must not be tilted to either side or backwards or forwards. Neutral expression is defined as no obvious grinning, frowning, raised eyebrows or pulling a face.

Thank you

Customer service e-mail team"

All the best!
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 3:04 am
BCC
Just Joined

BCC is a jewel in the roughBCC is a jewel in the roughBCC is a jewel in the roughBCC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scrapcat
Our daughter's was done in Walmart with a white background and her passport arrived with no issues.
Same here, photos done in Walmart with default background colour and sent off to Durham. Passport came back in about 3 weeks no problem.

Edit: I thought there might be a problem as Walmart insisted on stamping the back off all photos with the " I certify that this is a true likeness of...." Whereas the guidelines states that the back of one photo should be left blank. However, as mentioned, the new passport came back without a issue.

Last edited by BCC; Dec 23rd 2013 at 3:09 am. Reason: Added note
Old Dec 23rd 2013, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Wild that I am hearing strict guidelines direct from the UK and other local outlets here ("we won't bend") ... yet many folks are not hitting bumps in the road with white backgrounds on their passports.

I thought I had a winner with London Drugs, who stated in their initial reply via email "we do support UK specification passport photos in our service" .... then after I replied requesting confirmation on the cream/light grey background and sizing, they responded with "apologies, we supplied you with inaccurate information, therefore, we don't supply UK specification passport photos".

Looks like I am now set to go with a photo outfit in the local mall, who did specify cream/light grey background in their specification bullet list via email.

So, although I'd love to take the gamble, it now looks like Costco and London Drugs are out of the picture (excuse the pun).

All the best.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:31 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Looks like I am now set to go with a photo outfit in the local mall, who did specify cream/light grey background in their specification bullet list via email.
Hi SivoxII - Please could you tell me the name of the local photo outfit you used or plan to use? And if you've already been how were they? TIA

Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:34 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hi SivoxII - Please could you tell me the name of the local photo outfit you used or plan to use? And if you've already been how were they? TIA

Unless it's a chain it doesn't matter. For some reason I was thinking you were in Calgary. Sorry about that.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No worries Helen,

Yes, I am in the Okanagan Valley here in British Columbia.

My passport renewal is now well underway, as I used a wee kiosk in our local Orchard Park mall here in Kelowna. To be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with their service, but so long as they "got the job done" and I receive my passport in the mail in the next couple of weeks, all is good!

Another bonus was my chosen method of mail. Most folks mentioned Fed-Ex, UPS, Purolator etc. but I decided to go with Canada Post Registered mail and tracked the package online - arrived within 9 days!!!

So, it left here on 29th December and arrived successfully in Durham on 8th January (which impressed me, considering it being the festive period).

Oh yeah, and the cost of Courier was $17, compared with approx. $40-$50 for an actual courier service - but at the end of the day, so long as your package is tracked, that's enough security & piece of mind, as far as I am concerned.

Hope this info is helpful to folks in the same boat as me?

All the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.