Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing OHIP Expired Health Card

Renewing OHIP Expired Health Card

Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future
Default Renewing OHIP Expired Health Card

Does anyone know if the process for renewing an expired health card is the same as renewing an unexpired health card?

I just realized mine expired Jul 2008, almost two 2 months ago. I looked all over the OHIP website and it doesn't seem to refer to expired health cards. It only refers to unexpired health cards whereby you receive a letter 2 months prior to the expiry date to remind you that it needs renewing within this time period. Unfortunately I never received this letter because I have been out the country for the last 4 months.

I was hoping on the internet to find more convincing words like "it does not matter how long your health card has expired..." or "follow this process only if your health card is recently expired (within 6 months or 1 yr)"...

I tried calling the INFOLINE but I have to go through a long recording of options to get into the queue and then there is a long wait for the queue and I eventually got disconnected or I had to disconnect cuz of customer calls.

Anyone know?
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing OHIP Expired Health Card

Originally Posted by Anne
Does anyone know if the process for renewing an expired health card is the same as renewing an unexpired health card?

I just realized mine expired Jul 2008, almost two 2 months ago. I looked all over the OHIP website and it doesn't seem to refer to expired health cards. It only refers to unexpired health cards whereby you receive a letter 2 months prior to the expiry date to remind you that it needs renewing within this time period. Unfortunately I never received this letter because I have been out the country for the last 4 months.

I was hoping on the internet to find more convincing words like "it does not matter how long your health card has expired..." or "follow this process only if your health card is recently expired (within 6 months or 1 yr)"...

I tried calling the INFOLINE but I have to go through a long recording of options to get into the queue and then there is a long wait for the queue and I eventually got disconnected or I had to disconnect cuz of customer calls.

Anyone know?
Hi Anne

hopefully someone else can help you but I think your OHIP expires if you've been out of the country for an extended period. My OH works overseas a lot and I remember him getting a hard time when he went to renew his card, he'd shown his passport as ID and when the woman at the desk saw all the stamps in it she gave him a grilling about how many days he'd been absent.

Last edited by Elaine B.; Sep 7th 2008 at 8:36 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Anne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant futureAnne has a brilliant future

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your response. Yes, how long you have been out the country is significant however in my case that does not apply. I have only been out the country for 4 months and will be returning very soon.

Interesting about the passport stamps though!

I would be very interested to hear from anyone else.

Anne
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:03 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

According to

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...p/ohip_mn.html

you must be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Zoe - Thank you for your response.

I know you must be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period. I have been in Ontario for more than 153 days in a 12-month period. I am eligible for health cover. What I would like to know is if I can renew my OHIP health card AFTER its expiry date?

Any help appreciated.
Anne
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:50 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Zoe - Thank you for your response.

I know you must be physically present in Ontario 153 days in any 12-month period. I have been in Ontario for more than 153 days in a 12-month period. I am eligible for health cover. What I would like to know is if I can renew my OHIP health card AFTER its expiry date?

Any help appreciated.
Anne
Yes you can. My eligibility for OHIP lapsed as a result of a delay renewing my TWP last year; when the visa was sorted out I just went to the local OHIP office with all the relevant paperwork (in my case, the form they had sent me before the card expired, plus letter from employer that TWP holders need for OHIP) and there was no problem getting a replacement card for myself or family members. No three-month qualifying period, and I think the reference numbers were all the same as the previous cards.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I never received this letter because I have been out the country for the last 4 months.
But presumably you still received the letter? What arrangements did you make about your mail why you were away? Or have you now changed your address?

When I had to renew my health card I had to call the number on the letter to make an appointment to go to the local office to get a new card. Do you know where your local office is if you can't reach anyone by phone? Either way you need to make an appointment so that a new card can be issued.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, it is very much appreciated.

No I did not receive a letter reminding me that my OHIP health card needed renewing. So I have no letter to take with me. The reason why I received no letter is that the address was incorrect so it must have been returned undeliverd. I did try and change my address on line but kept getting error message. My own silly fault of course and should have followed up but it just slipped my mind.