Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renewing my UK passport in Canada. Do I need my birth cert?

Renewing my UK passport in Canada. Do I need my birth cert?

Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

mark_in_2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renewing my UK passport in Canada. Do I need my birth cert?

I'm a landed immigrant living in Ontario and my UK passport expires in August.

I've filled out my application form to renew it as I'm travelling in Sept to the UK.

Now, the form says that I have to send my birth cert. as proof, but is this just for a new passport? Can't I just send in my still-valid UK passport as proof of ID?

I did see it somewhere on the consulates website that I could, but I can't find it anymore.

Can anyone tell me?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:32 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewing my UK passport in Canada. Do I need my birth cert?

Originally Posted by mark_in_2k

I've filled out my application form to renew it as I'm travelling in Sept to the UK.

Now, the form says that I have to send my birth cert. as proof, but is this just for a new passport? Can't I just send in my still-valid UK passport as proof of ID?

I did see it somewhere on the consulates website that I could, but I can't find it anymore.

Can anyone tell me?
It's all there on www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk

Go into passports/passport forms and look in the notes for form C1.

You are cutting it a bit fine mate.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

I know it's a little too close for comfort!!!

I can't seem to speak to anyone in Ottawa! All I get is recorded info!

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's all there on www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk

Go into passports/passport forms and look in the notes for form C1.

You are cutting it a bit fine mate.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute

i hear you! i have never had such service ! the uk consulate in ottawa kept me hanging for 30 minutes and they dont even have a toll free number. I was totally disgusted and i told them so . they told me , after a 30 minute wait to get the answers to my question on the website after all that !its www.britainincanada.org. good luck!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:36 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark_in_2k

Can anyone tell me?
My British friend recently renewed her passport and I think she didn't required her birth certificate. She was a bit concerned because she couldn't find her birth certificate at the time - but I'm pretty sure she was able to renew her passport anyway. She did this in the UK though - not sure if that matters! Maybe try: http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:46 pm

You might have better luck if you contact them via email. I got next-day response when I did that a couple of years back.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

debbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nice

You might have better luck if you contact them via email. I got next-day response when I did that a couple of years back.

You just need the passport you have now and the forms to renew yours,i have renewed 2 passports at ottawa.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

I just checked out the UK Passport site and they say:

You can renew your existing standard 10 year British passport once it expires, is full or is shortly due to expire. You will need a standard application form, your current passport, two, identical recent passport photographs and payment. Your form will not need to be countersigned (section 10) or the photographs certified if you can still be recognised from the photograph in your current passport. A new valid passport will be issued. Please note that your old passport will be cancelled. Please be aware that this may invalidate any visas in the passport. You are recommended to contact the issuing authorities to confirm whether an unexpired visa in a cancelled passport remains valid.
I just hope they process it quickly! I fly out Sept 6th :scared:

How long does it usually take? There was a section on the app that asked when I will be travelling. Hopefully I get it before!

Originally Posted by debbyathome
You just need the passport you have now and the forms to renew yours,i have renewed 2 passports at ottawa.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:05 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

i just renewed my passport... took 6 weeks from sending it and finally getting it back.

you can supposedly expediate the process, you need to check the website.
Don't bother trying to call, as you've already found out, you just get automated responses. But email does work... got a reply about 24hrs later.
For the fast process, i think you will have to pay extra...

PS: you don't need your birth certificate... i sent my old passport as proof. Just follow the application form... it is all explained
Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Are you travelling soon? On the 1st page of the app. form it asks you to state when you are travelling, so I put Sept 5th (a day before I actually fly out).

I'm hoping that they will speed up the processing. I'm going to England for a just-announced wedding, which is why I'm a bit late!

Originally Posted by ksct97
i just renewed my passport... took 6 weeks from sending it and finally getting it back.

you can supposedly expediate the process, you need to check the website.
Don't bother trying to call, as you've already found out, you just get automated responses. But email does work... got a reply about 24hrs later.
For the fast process, i think you will have to pay extra...

PS: you don't need your birth certificate... i sent my old passport as proof. Just follow the application form... it is all explained
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:16 pm
Remya

I had to renew my passport recently from within Canada. It's in the instructions to allow at least 4 weeks for processing (though according to the British High Commission's website, it's currently taking 6 weeks). I sent mine on June 15th and put the date I travelled as July 25th to allow for a bit more time than they said. I included my birth cert. just in case and only received my new passport 2 days ago! No response when I emailed to check everything was in order. So I'd definitely have it expedited if possible, it might cost a lot more but you don't want any last minute panics...

Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:35 pm
Just Joined

I just mailed off my renewal application, so they will receive it tomorrow.

Is there any way that I can get in touch with them to see if they will expedite for me. I also sent the credit card authorisation form so they will charge my card, but I could also ask them to add on the "expedite" fee to the total bill.

If only I could get hold of someone there!

Originally Posted by Remya
I had to renew my passport recently from within Canada. It's in the instructions to allow at least 4 weeks for processing (though according to the British High Commission's website, it's currently taking 6 weeks). I sent mine on June 15th and put the date I travelled as July 25th to allow for a bit more time than they said. I included my birth cert. just in case and only received my new passport 2 days ago! No response when I emailed to check everything was in order. So I'd definitely have it expedited if possible, it might cost a lot more but you don't want any last minute panics...
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:49 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by zalaben
i hear you! i have never had such service ! the uk consulate in ottawa kept me hanging for 30 minutes and they dont even have a toll free number. I was totally disgusted and i told them so . they told me , after a 30 minute wait to get the answers to my question on the website after all that !its www.britainincanada.org. good luck!
I had the same experience with the British consulate last December. I had already sent in my passport for early renewal, then needed to rush back as my Mum was dying. Panic set in when I realised my passport was still in Ottawa. Phone calls are useless even in an emergency. I had to resort to sending an email, pleading for a response - which I got the following day. It was a form letter, no help at all. I finally got my passport back after another 4 days, but it was too late, my Mum passed away the day I flew out. If I could only have left 2 days earlier.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by AnnetteM
I had the same experience with the British consulate last December. I had already sent in my passport for early renewal, then needed to rush back as my Mum was dying. Panic set in when I realised my passport was still in Ottawa. Phone calls are useless even in an emergency. I had to resort to sending an email, pleading for a response - which I got the following day. It was a form letter, no help at all. I finally got my passport back after another 4 days, but it was too late, my Mum passed away the day I flew out. If I could only have left 2 days earlier.
Sorry to hear about that.

It's a bit late now but in situations like that the Consular Section is probably the best place to aim at. The section is there to help Britons in distress (and you can get to speak with a human). I think you qualified as being distressed. They could probably have "had a word". I used to work in a High Commission (not UK) and I know that stuff can get done real quick when necessary.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
Banned

AnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud ofAnnetteM has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about that.

It's a bit late now but in situations like that the Consular Section is probably the best place to aim at. The section is there to help Britons in distress (and you can get to speak with a human). I think you qualified as being distressed. They could probably have "had a word". I used to work in a High Commission (not UK) and I know that stuff can get done real quick when necessary.
They should have that information in the recording that you get when you call the Consulate. As I recall, the only advise they give is to contact them via email.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.