Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Renew passort -- why not send to UK?

Renew passort -- why not send to UK?

Old Sep 17th 2008, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew passort -- why not send to UK?

The OH recently applied for citizenship, at no point did he have to offer up his foreign passport. I doubt your scenario could happen Bristol. Unless of course he's hauled in front of a judge for his hundreds of daytrips to the US that he can't remember
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
You can certainly continue to hold your British passport after you become Canadian.

In principle, you can travel on it and use your certificate of citizenship to prove your status when you return to Canada.

You'd still be wise to get a Canadian passport, though. It's a lot quicker to replace if lost than a citizenship certificate, and won't confuse airlines that expect Canadians to travel on Canadian documents.

There's no need to give up your British passport when you do that; you can carry on using it for entry to the UK and for other countries (such as those in the EU) that offer smoother entry to British citizens.
Thanks for your reply,i will then stick with using my UK passport for travelling and my citizenship certificate when returning to Canada.I cannot justify the expense of 4 Canadian passports for my family,when i do not need them.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:28 pm
Corn Nibbler

cornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud ofcornmatthew has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
The OH recently applied for citizenship, at no point did he have to offer up his foreign passport. I doubt your scenario could happen Bristol. Unless of course he's hauled in front of a judge for his hundreds of daytrips to the US that he can't remember
CIC do check passports at the citizenship test, or at least they did at mine. Though they were mostly interested in checking stamps against the declared list of absences. The examination was fairly cursory, done in front of me, and did not involve any special equipment to check for security features.

While plausible, Bristol's scenario sounds far-fetched, and could in any event be overcome with other evidence of presence in Canada during the period in question.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 4:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornmatthew
While plausible, Bristol's scenario sounds far-fetched, and could in any event be overcome with other evidence of presence in Canada during the period in question.
Having seen my straightforward sponsorship/PR application become a fiasco, (short version in post number 10) 'plausible' seems a strong possibility to me.