British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Renew passort -- why not send to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/renew-passort-why-not-send-uk-559985/)

BobbyBuilder Sep 7th 2008 4:20 am

Renew passort -- why not send to UK?

Hi all..
I'm in Toronto and need to renew my passport (simple name change). I know we can send this via Ottawa but this costs heaps more and takes longer than doing it in the UK. My question is: couldn't I send the signed UK renewal form, pics and passport to family back home and have them mail this off and apply from there? Would this mess up the immigration records? Also, does anyone know if the passport number changes for amendments?

Cookie Sep 7th 2008 1:35 pm

Re: Renew passort -- why not send to UK?

According to their website:

"Where can I apply for a passport if I am a British National residing outside the United Kingdom?

You can find out where to apply for a passport at an overseas UK embassy by checking the list of these on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.

Alternatively, you may apply in person for a passport whilst visiting the UK. In order to do this, you need to make an appointment at a passport office and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport may be posted. Please note that we do not accept applications by post or e-mail if you live abroad."

Changing your name seems to be done the same way. They cancel your existing passport and issue you with a new one. See here

They will of course know that you reside in Canada.

My husband renewed his passport earlier this year via Ottawa and it took approximately 3 weeks for its return.

BobbyBuilder Sep 7th 2008 3:31 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply. I've read up and do understand the suggested channel to send through Ottawa, but I was asking if it would be possible to send and process everything via the UK as suggested.. has anyone done it this way?

The Lees Sep 7th 2008 8:20 pm

I would also be interested if anyone has done this - I have just given our passports with all the renewal stuff to family while they were over here to send off from their end.

I don't know if we will run into problems as our PR is in there so it's obvious we are Canadian residents but as it's so much more expensive to send to Ottawa and we're not in a rush for renewal I thought this would work.

R I C H Sep 7th 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by BobbyBuilder (Post 6757614)
I know we can send this via Ottawa ...... takes longer than doing it in the UK.

Not necessarily true - mine was returned to me within 7 days from Ottawa.

Nicola N-A Sep 7th 2008 11:55 pm

My daughter's was returned within 2 weeks.

adele Sep 8th 2008 12:35 pm

"Please note that we do not accept applications by post or e-mail if you live abroad."

Could maybe make it a far longer process if you ignore the rules?! ;)

BobbyBuilder Sep 8th 2008 8:56 pm

So, if applying through Ottawa, will they send the passport to me in Toronto?

Alberta_Rose Sep 8th 2008 9:40 pm

I asked this question when I was applying to renew two of ours. Somebody here who lives in Calgary (Pardon my memory - it's my age:o) said they had used relatives back in the UK just as you suggest.

In the end though, I chickened out, and decided to follow the rules, on the basis of "If anyone gets caught :sneaky: it'll be me!!":o:p

Yeah it was more expensive, but came back within about three weks, and I didn't have to feel worried or guilty! ;)

IckleHelen Sep 8th 2008 11:19 pm

Sorry I'm being really lazy here - out of curiosity how much is it to apply through Ottawa? We'll not have to do it for a few years ourselves, but I'm just wondering what all the fuss is about - are we talking $hundreds?

Nicola N-A Sep 8th 2008 11:21 pm

UK in Canada website will give you everything you need. Childs passport renewal is $160 + $15 courier charge - I think the adult one is $250.

IckleHelen Sep 8th 2008 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A (Post 6763366)
UK in Canada website will give you everything you need. Childs passport renewal is $160 + $15 courier charge - I think the adult one is $250.

Thank you. I was just being nosey.

BristolUK Sep 9th 2008 1:08 am

So a renewal is £72 in the UK but $250+$15 in Canada.

That's a really big difference. Virtually double the cost. Anyone have any idea if that's justified?

Maybe they should uprate the Retirement Pension to cover the extra cost. :lol:

JAJ Sep 9th 2008 3:33 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 6763550)
Anyone have any idea if that's justified?

Short answer : it's not.

Longer answer is that passport issuing overseas is the responsibility of the Foreign Office. Passports issued in the U.K. are the responsibility of the Home Office.

Fewer passports issued overseas + smaller offices = higher costs. Some countries absorb these costs into the general fee, but Britain makes its overseas citizens pay the full cost. A not-so-subtle hint that perhaps they would prefer you to get a local passport instead.

Alberta_Rose Sep 9th 2008 4:41 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 6763782)
... A not-so-subtle hint that perhaps they would prefer you to get a local passport instead.

Well, and so we might do that, but our UK passports expired before we were eligible to apply for a local one, and we wanted to travel, so I guess that was just tuff titty! :blink: