Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removals What you think please???

Removals What you think please???

Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Removals What you think please???

Hi all,
we have had three removal companies round now and we are trying to decide which one to have. We have had GB Liners, Fox (lowest price for own container, same price as shared container using other companies, not sure what to make of this??). Then we had Burke Bros. ( Anybody used Burke Bros, what did you think please?)

Any information would be much appreciated,
many thanks,
Carl
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removals What you think please???

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi all,
we have had three removal companies round now and we are trying to decide which one to have. We have had GB Liners, Fox (lowest price for own container, same price as shared container using other companies, not sure what to make of this??). Then we had Burke Bros. ( Anybody used Burke Bros, what did you think please?)

many thanks,
Carl
Hi Carl

DON'T use Burke Bros We used them and it was very poor Do a search for Burke Bros and you will find other posters opinions as well.

Cheers

Jo
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

We are using Fox. It all went well at the UK end. We have cleared customs at this end and our container arrives tomorrow so I will let you know what happens when everything is unpacked.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

many thanks,
Carl
We had aquote from GBliners and thought they were a bit on the pricey side, we are now using a firm called Wentworth, Anglo Pacific seem to be the best but again a little pricey, both GBliners and Anglo Pacific quoted us £5.5k for a 20ft container Gloucestershire to British Columbia and then insurance on top took it to £6k Nearly dropped dead
Old Aug 17th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Spoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the roughSpoons1961 is a jewel in the rough

Do you mind if I ask how much Wentworth charged. We've had Anglo Pacific and Crown round so far, but still waiting for the quotes ?

Ta
Old Aug 17th 2008, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Carl

I used GB Liners and they were fab with me - very supportive whilst I was on my own packing too would thoroughly recommend them without a doubt

Gaynor
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hiya Carl

I used GB Liners and they were fab with me - very supportive whilst I was on my own packing too would thoroughly recommend them without a doubt

Gaynor
I also used them (Manchester depot) and I would back everything Gaynor says. They were great and I would recommend them.

Lisa
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice

Thank you people, very good of you to reply.

We are getting quotes that are hoovering around the £3500 then insurance.
I'm a bit disappointed with GB Liners rresponse they are being a bit slow getting back to me, I quite like these, because they are based in my home town of Hereford. I sent off another email to them all Friday , asking a few more questions. The one being if they custom seal the container in front of us??

Would be good to here from anybody else please,
Many thanks to all,
Carl
Old Aug 18th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I am using Fox Removals. I found this site very helpful in shortlisting companies. I chose Fox as they have a depot local to me and were competitive price wise and quick to mail out quotes and information.

Steve at Fox's has been very helpful as was the local guy who came to do a survey.

They have answered all my questions to date and if I want them to come back and resurvey closer to the removal date of 19th November, they will do that - they said that as I am getting rid of some items, this may reduce the packing time and the cost.

My quote comes in at just under £5000 door-to-door to Thunder Bay via Winnipeg for a 20foot container, which includes a full packing service.

Once I have moved, I will post further feedback on the site.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

AndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the roughAndyBCbound is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Spoons1961
Do you mind if I ask how much Wentworth charged. We've had Anglo Pacific and Crown round so far, but still waiting for the quotes ?

Ta
Wentworth are £4200+ Insurance at 2.75% of value of items,its worth remembering that the insurance premiums have dropped from 3% to 2.75% but not all removal companies tell you this you have to tell them
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

My wife Tracey, had a good meeting with Robinsons today, hopefully should have their quote end of this week. Will let you know.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyBCbound
Wentworth are £4200+ Insurance at 2.75% of value of items,its worth remembering that the insurance premiums have dropped from 3% to 2.75% but not all removal companies tell you this you have to tell them
Barter.....I got the insurance down to 2% after an initial quote of 3%
Old Aug 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Barter.....I got the insurance down to 2% after an initial quote of 3%

Agree with DNS as far as bartering is concerned - use your lowest quoted figure and go back to other companies to give them the opportunity to requote.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

bootlecat is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife Tracey, had a good meeting with Robinsons today, hopefully should have their quote end of this week. Will let you know.
I used robinsons, best move I've ever had, and I've had about 8 so far. Nothing at all broken. Not the cheapest to start with but bartered with them (using proof from other quotes) and they came to within 100GBP of the cheapest.

REMEMBER : You are leaving the country you'll never have to get a quote from these people again, driving a hard bargain and pushing continually for a lower price won't hurt you in any way in the future

The one thing all the companies said is that unless you can't afford it never go groupage (where you share a container). What happens here is that your stuff is packed and moved to a warehouse where it waits until a container is full, you now have no control over how long it takes to ship. Also what if the other container occupant puts something dodgy in the container, yours will be held up also.

Robinsons moved us over Xmas and the container actually arrived 7 days earlier than planned, they stored it for free.

Finally if you do go for a sole use container make sure they bring the container to your house. some less scrupulous ones will load it into a van (statign something like staff availability or late container delivery) and then load it for you back at their base, strangely once there they can then turn it into a groupage container.

You'll never know this because at most Canadian ports the stuff is offloaded into vans anyway for some strange reason.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

many thanks,
Carl
We did a lot of research on this when we moved to BC back in Feb of this year... we found the best for reputation and reasonable cost is Doree Bonner. Our stuff was well packaged and we suffered no loss or damage.. they did use the full 14 weeks of the 7 to 14 week window originally quoted... Anglo Pacific were used by a friend who had lots of damage and poor customer service... Tibet and Britten gave us a quote and got angry with us when we didn't want to place the work with them... very poor company!

We suggest you check out Doree Bonner for piece of mind shipping!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.