Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies in to Quote

Removal Companies in to Quote

Old Nov 27th 2008, 5:07 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

Originally Posted by paul090971
My fav company sent me a letter on Tuesday telling me that due to currency rates they have increase my price by £175.00. I am now working on the company to drop the price by £75....WE WILL SEE and to confirm that this is the final price.

Strange of them to do that, on Monday it was $1.48 yet today its $1.54, based on $4500 thats a decrease in costs of £118.47. I know back in October it was $1.73 so maybe they are averaging out their losses. It may have gone up £350! Also the shipping lines set the seafreight & fuel surcharges at the start on each month so everyone is waiting to see if the fuel surcharge drops again like last month. If it was me moving, then I would ask when you finally say right I need a container, whats the current cost of all of this!
I got £75.00 off and now have fix price.....maybe I will do that.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

edgey is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't use Canada moving...i had the worse experience ever !! and to make things worse the insurance company (moveTrans)won't even reply to my emails !!
Attached Thumbnails Removal Companies in to Quote-furniture-006.jpg   Removal Companies in to Quote-furniture-007.jpg   Removal Companies in to Quote-furniture-004.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

4 people around to quote on Wednesday: Bournes, Fox, GB Liners, & Robinson. Only had 3 of the quotes back so far but some initial thoughts:

- Both Bournes and Fox were very late which didn't impress. Bournes gave a rather cursory examination.
- Fox were better, but were rather clueless on details that other companies picked up on straight away, like parking restrictions.
- GB Liners were fantastic, very thorough and knowledgable, and talked us through the shipping/customs process. However he gave info on shipping medication that clashed with everyone else's.
- Robinsons seemed fairly old school, but again very thorough and provided great info on insurance.

All companies indicated that they'd be willing to match prices on other quotes. All said that it was a good time to move as companies are hungry for business. Door to door for a 2-bed flat with difficult access - not much furniture but lots of little pieces - to eastern Ontario as part of a group shipment comes in at:

Fox - £2621 (w/o insurance)
GB Liners - £3140 + £120 parking suspension (w/o insurance)
Robinsons - £2621 (with insurance)

We'll see what the last quote says, but...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

LadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant future

Hiya just though I would revive this post. Fiance and I are currently gathering quotes. We sold a lot of things (I have stuff in Canada already) and will go for a groupage container. We have far from enough to fill an entire one.

We currently had Robinson and PSS around, did not feel any of them stood out of the other. We have Anglo-Pacific coming around on Monday and we are trying to get Fox and GBLiner as well in before the 18th (we are going to brussels for 5 nights that day...!).

If anyone has anymore feedback on these removal companies, that would be appreciated!
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Originally Posted by treehavn
4 people around to quote on Wednesday: Bournes, Fox, GB Liners, & Robinson. Only had 3 of the quotes back so far but some initial thoughts:

- Both Bournes and Fox were very late which didn't impress. Bournes gave a rather cursory examination.
- Fox were better, but were rather clueless on details that other companies picked up on straight away, like parking restrictions.
- GB Liners were fantastic, very thorough and knowledgable, and talked us through the shipping/customs process. However he gave info on shipping medication that clashed with everyone else's.
- Robinsons seemed fairly old school, but again very thorough and provided great info on insurance.

All companies indicated that they'd be willing to match prices on other quotes. All said that it was a good time to move as companies are hungry for business. Door to door for a 2-bed flat with difficult access - not much furniture but lots of little pieces - to eastern Ontario as part of a group shipment comes in at:

Fox - £2621 (w/o insurance)
GB Liners - £3140 + £120 parking suspension (w/o insurance)
Robinsons - £2621 (with insurance)

We'll see what the last quote says, but...
Following up on this, we only received the quote from Bournes after I emailed them 6 days after the assessment to let them know we'd decided to go with another company. It was a decent price, but considering that they knew we have to move by next Monday...
Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:58 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
Just remembered - sorry.

Both to date have told us NO FOODSTUFF OF ANY KIND although I do believe others have managed to get stuff packed.

Daughter can't live without Marmite.

Did anyone get a company to take their tins etc?
Hi there, we just moved over about 8 weeks ago and we used Foxes the we by far the best, we also had Anglo Pacific and Pickfords. All of them told us that food items we not to be included, but we did bring over things that were non-perishable such as rice and pasta that kind of thing, we bought over far more than we should have done (perishable stuff too), but it is a real gamble. To be fair lots of our stuff was packed before we had a chance to say otherwise including alcohol. We were lucky that our container didn't get checked. When we went to Halifax to sign for it all we did get asked the usual stuff about alcohol, food, firearms etc and we just said that it was rice and pasta (non perishables) and they were fine with it, but it is a real gamble wether or not customs decide to check it all.
Bella
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

LadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bellanova
Hi there, we just moved over about 8 weeks ago and we used Foxes the we by far the best, we also had Anglo Pacific and Pickfords. All of them told us that food items we not to be included, but we did bring over things that were non-perishable such as rice and pasta that kind of thing, we bought over far more than we should have done (perishable stuff too), but it is a real gamble. To be fair lots of our stuff was packed before we had a chance to say otherwise including alcohol. We were lucky that our container didn't get checked. When we went to Halifax to sign for it all we did get asked the usual stuff about alcohol, food, firearms etc and we just said that it was rice and pasta (non perishables) and they were fine with it, but it is a real gamble wether or not customs decide to check it all.
Bella
We're having Fox and Anglo-Pacific on Monday. Just received this morning the quotes from PSS and Robinsons. There is a good difference between both (we bring our stuff in groupage, not enough for a whole container anyways). One quoted 1175£ and the other one 1699£. But PSS included custom cleareance in their prices, which is not the case of Robinsons. I haven't had the feeling any of them stood out. I heard lots of good things from Fox, bit less from Anglo. We'll see what they come up with anyways.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

Blimey - we must have far too much 'stuff'!! Our quotes have all come out around £7k
Time to get selling I think - anybody fancy coming to a garage sale next month???
Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katiemoon
Blimey - we must have far too much 'stuff'!! Our quotes have all come out around £7k
Time to get selling I think - anybody fancy coming to a garage sale next month???
katie, we are only 2 of us, no kids.

We did 2 car boots and gumtree is our friend. We went thru our furniture, clutter, etc and decided to sell everything which we would have wanted to replace in the next 2 to 3 years.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

We are only 4 now, but I've got stuff stored for my 2 who've flown the nest (1 already in Calgary), my OH is a magpie and has a 'collection of collections' , photographic and darkroom equipment (absolutely essential for Canada ), plus we all love books...

Guess we're all going to have to make some sacrifices...

I think there will be storm clouds over the Yorkshire Dales for the next few weeks

Katie
Old Dec 13th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Just checked out gumtree - it doesn't seem to cover our area - misses Cumbria altogether... but thanks for the tip.

Ah well, back to the garage sale idea

Katie
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura aboutSteve Lawson has a spectacular aura about

When you get a quote from a removal firm, they will spend about 3 hours travelling to/from your property and walking around it with you and another hour preparing your quote in the office. If you haggle too much you risk short-cuts being made. The problem is, when the job is booked, the operating manager will look to see where he can recover your discount and this might affect the service you receive. If you pay good money, you generally get a good job. If corners are cut, you might not.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by katiemoon
Just checked out gumtree - it doesn't seem to cover our area - misses Cumbria altogether... but thanks for the tip.

Ah well, back to the garage sale idea

Katie
We just had Fox and Anglo-Pacific in yesterday. We are now awaiting quotes. But we felt that Anglo-Pacific guy, while making by far the best pitch, could easily be just looking impressive with his gizmo tech laptop and such. We had too much unsatisfied feedback to go ahead with them. And we were not impressed by the fact that the insurance was NOT via an independent broker but with them.

We will be waiting for Fox to send a quote. Then decide between Robinson and Fox.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LadyRayden
But we felt that Anglo-Pacific guy, while making by far the best pitch, could easily be just looking impressive with his gizmo tech laptop and such.
Hee! We had two of our four quoters come around with their little PDAs and make quite a show of tapping information into it. Strangely enough, we felt most comfortable with the more old fashioned chaps who used things like tape measures, calculators and pencils.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by treehavn
Hee! We had two of our four quoters come around with their little PDAs and make quite a show of tapping information into it. Strangely enough, we felt most comfortable with the more old fashioned chaps who used things like tape measures, calculators and pencils.
So did we.

We just received the quote from Fox. Quite in the similar prices than Robinsons. It is quite much going to be between the two of them. difference of 6cm, not too bad. We are going to Brussels tomorrow, for 5 nights. Plenty of time to sleep on it and make a decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.