Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Removal Companies in to Quote

Removal Companies in to Quote

Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:49 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

easy to do, you just say " can you do the customs for me" and its done. Shipping companys scare you guys into using their services. I have moved loads of friends, family & members of the public. Its so easy!

Paul

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If you pack it yourself it USUALLY means you have to clear customs yourself.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:53 pm
Banned

paul090971 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just shipped a 20ft container over to Malta, the shipper did not even have to go to the port, and the packing list should be done & handed to the driver when the container is loaded. This should be sent over to customs in the country of arrival, just do it on a spreadsheet and email it over. Should clear customs in 15-20 mins. Very easy to do.

Paul

Originally Posted by thebakers4
I have been told customs clearance takes 15-20 mins, you go there with you packing list, they have a quick look at it and then have a nose in your container - which if it is full they arent going to see alot, they then stamp your papers and the container is released for delivery.

If you meet a broker at customs (having paid approx £300) pretty much the same happens and they just stand there - maybe someone who has been through it already can confirm whether I am right or wrong??

If there are any questions about the bits you have in the container only you can answer them, but yes for a few of approx £300 you can get the customs clearance done for you but you still have to be there.

Cheers Jan
Old Nov 8th 2008, 6:39 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by paul090971
easy to do, you just say " can you do the customs for me" and its done. Shipping companys scare you guys into using their services. I have moved loads of friends, family & members of the public. Its so easy!

Paul
Paul

So what do you get out of it????? if nothing supply us the info.

Most of us are at the point of making decisions for removal companies.

In the last couple of days, 2 removal companies have been phoning me and dropping their prices to compete with each other.

I have just had one company drop their price by £450.00 another company offer a price including the lump sum insurance for £3946.25

So if I can get a better deal I will look at it

K
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul

Yeah me too. We are interested if you offer advice and service.
Thanks
Tina
Old Nov 10th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant future

thanks for all the helpful advice!

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
If you pack it yourself it USUALLY means you have to clear customs yourself.
Have you done this yourself Amy? Did you pack your own container and then collect it from Customs in Canada?
What did it involve?

Originally Posted by paul090971
I have just shipped a 20ft container over to Malta, the shipper did not even have to go to the port, and the packing list should be done & handed to the driver when the container is loaded. This should be sent over to customs in the country of arrival, just do it on a spreadsheet and email it over. Should clear customs in 15-20 mins. Very easy to do.

Paul
I see from your profile that you list your Occupation as Shipping & Freight Forwarding Agency MD.
What does that involve?
What is it that YOU do that you would advise we can all do for ourselves?
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

FarrellFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Removal Companies in to Quote

Ok, I have some questions. Sorry if this has been covered before (probably lots of times) but I am new so please bear with me!

The quotes so far seem to be for a 20-ft container. How much stuff can you realistically get in there? We have a 3 bed semi, the big stuff includes our iron bed frame (6ft by 7ft and can not be left behind under any circs!!), 2 sofas, kids beds and the rest of the bits and bobs.

Also, is there a weight limit on the container?

Also, if we pack up our house ourselves and they just come to get the boxes to ship, is it cheaper?

Do we need to bring white goods e.g washing machine or better to buy them out there?

Will the company take it from our house in the UK to the docks, ship it, pick it up on the other side of the Atlantic and deliver it to our new home or do we have to organise a separate company to take it off the container ship and deliver it to our door over there?

Ok, think that's it for now. I'm getting the impression that we should reserve around 5k in the budget and if we get change, that will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer what are probably very old, very tired qs that come up all the time

Nat
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:19 pm
Arrived Calgary 28 Jan 09

thebakers4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FarrellFamily
Ok, I have some questions. Sorry if this has been covered before (probably lots of times) but I am new so please bear with me!

The quotes so far seem to be for a 20-ft container. How much stuff can you realistically get in there? We have a 3 bed semi, the big stuff includes our iron bed frame (6ft by 7ft and can not be left behind under any circs!!), 2 sofas, kids beds and the rest of the bits and bobs.

Also, if we pack up our house ourselves and they just come to get the boxes to ship, is it cheaper?

Do we need to bring white goods e.g washing machine or better to buy them out there?

Will the company take it from our house in the UK to the docks, ship it, pick it up on the other side of the Atlantic and deliver it to our new home or do we have to organise a separate company to take it off the container ship and deliver it to our door over there?

Ok, think that's it for now. I'm getting the impression that we should reserve around 5k in the budget and if we get change, that will be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer what are probably very old, very tired qs that come up all the time

Nat
Hiya Nat,

We have all our house packed up into a 20 ft container within a storage co ready to ship in January. We packed up a 4 bed detached house and are a family of 2 adults & 2 kids. I packed it all myself and we still have room for the extra corner sofa, beds, chests of drawers and boxes etc from our rental property due to selling our house and an unforeseen hold up between then and us moving- am now skilled with allan key for flat packing and bubble wrap for wrapping.

Need any extra help PM me,
regards
Jan

Its alot cheaper to do it yourself, the big companies charge about £5,000 but other DIY companies charge considerably less - my best quote so far Bridgend to Calgary is £2870
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:20 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FarrellFamily

A lot - we shipped pretty much the entire contents of a 3 bed house and garage/shed. A 20ft container will generally suit most needs and circumstances

No, you pay by volume, not weight. If you only 2/3 fill a container, it's cheaper than a full one - less packing and unpacking for the shippers to handle (if you're not doing it yourself).

Some companies offer this option, some don't, but yes, it would save you money.

No, it's not worth bringing white goods. Voltages are different, and when you buy/rent here houses often come equipped with them.

Will the company take it from our house in the UK to the docks, ship it, pick it up on the other side of the Atlantic and deliver it to our new home
Yes, that's the usual process.

Nat
HTH
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by thebakers4
Hiya Nat,

We have all our house packed up into a 20 ft container within a storage co ready to ship in January. We packed up a 4 bed detached house and are a family of 2 adults & 2 kids. I packed it all myself and we still have room for the extra corner sofa, beds, chests of drawers and boxes etc from our rental property due to selling our house and an unforeseen hold up between then and us moving- am now skilled with allan key for flat packing and bubble wrap for wrapping.

Need any extra help PM me,
regards
Jan

Its alot cheaper to do it yourself, the big companies charge about £5,000 but other DIY companies charge considerably less - my best quote so far Bridgend to Calgary is £2870
Ps dont take washing machine and electrical items as they wont work - 220v here and 110v in Canada - tv's will only work if they are NTSC compatible as Europe is PAL

Yes everything will be done for you and its all straight forward - the bigger companies will average 6-8 weeks but the company I intend to use say about 20 days (approx) which means we wont be without our bits for too long
Cheers again
Jan
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:22 am
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

KJM and all

How is everyone getting on with their shipping quotes. I have now had all mine but including the insurance and insurance tax my cheapest quote is nearer £5k than anything you guys have quoted and that's for a 20ft container.

Am now tempted to start playing one off against the other apart from Fox's the others are all much of a muchness.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
KJM and all

How is everyone getting on with their shipping quotes. I have now had all mine but including the insurance and insurance tax my cheapest quote is nearer £5k than anything you guys have quoted and that's for a 20ft container.

Am now tempted to start playing one off against the other apart from Fox's the others are all much of a muchness.
Hiya to the Ross Family,

The quotes you are getting are from the larger removals companies who include packing this is why they are dearer. Because we have already packed up our stuff - took me about a week, a quick lesson in un-flatpacking and half a mile of bubble wrap and tape - we dont need the packing part.

The company we are planning on using is bringing the truck/container to us, we load (I am paying the guys at our storage co to do that), it is then shipped to Canada and we meet it in Calgary to customs clear it (takes about 15 mins) then it will be delivered to my house and unpacked. The best quote for that is £2870 - if you fancy trying this avenue call Maritime Cargo and speak to Andy Booth - 01449 616100, tell him I (Jan Baker) gave you his number as he likes to know if he's been recommended.

Good luck
Jan
Old Nov 12th 2008, 3:41 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

Hi Bakers

I won't have the option of packing up myself as OH will already be out in Calgary - I am left holding the fort so to say. I am also working right up to the last minute.

Am trying to barter a bit - managed to get a bit off one of them. letting them all stew a bit now.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:13 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Ross Family
KJM and all

Hi Ross

My best price to date after haggling is a total fee of £3795.00 for 20ft jamb packed container including the itemised insurance, 6 weeks free storage and mech/elec insurance.

I would say not bad.

K

How is your quotes going?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

FarrellFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to pop back and say thanks for your help.

I am trying to work out how much the process of emigrating from the UK will cost and how much we need to save to pay for everything.

Nat
Old Nov 12th 2008, 8:20 pm
Permanent Resident

Hi KJM

Who is your quote with? Much better than mine! What's your secret? Tell all!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.