Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Old Mar 7th 2017, 4:50 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Reluctantly moving, need advice

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
That's because Orange Pekoe is gross
It's not gross. It's just that all black tea in Canada labeled as Orange Pekoe is milder I find. I doubt that all off them are actually officially Orange Pekoe and it's just branding.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:06 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
It's not gross. It's just that all black tea in Canada labeled as Orange Pekoe is milder I find. I doubt that all off them are actually officially Orange Pekoe and it's just branding.

its definitely not as good as the 'real stuff' you get in the UK
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

If you want good tea in Canada, buy it from a specialty tea shop, not a supermarket. This is a start: http://www.murchies.com Standard supermarket brands are typically crap in Canada. This can also be applied to cheese, sausages, bread, coffee, etc.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 8th 2017 at 1:29 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:26 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
its definitely not as good as the 'real stuff' you get in the UK
It is exactly the same as the stuff you get in the UK. The only difference is the name on the box.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UxSims
Hello

Thank you for all your replies.

We are going from Peterborough, a bit north from Cambridge, and would be moving to Uxbridge.

My partner lives and works in Toronto, and his family lives relatively close to Uxbridge. I have visited several times and the kids have been there once recently. We picked Uxbridge because we both loved the small town look, seemed like a good place to raise a family, it's near his parents and it's not an impossible commute (long, but still doable).

His condo in Toronto is too small for all of us, so we are now in the process of buying a bigger house so we could avoid first renting and then moving again. We have also visited schools and are happy with that side of things.

My partner is aware of how I feel about moving and he has been supportive, even though he does remark that, from all women around, he had to pick the one who isn't that in love with Canada or jumping to move

I'm not sure if I'm having last minute jitters or justified fear, being such a major change. It all feels rather overwhelming and scary. If it was just me, I would be more than fine. But I'm terrified of making such a huge decision that will impact not just me but my kids as well.

Many thanks
I have lived near Stouffville (not too far from Uxbridge) for almost six years now, and would agree that Uxbridge seems like a nice town. Not sure how old your kids are, but I have heard good things about Uxbridge SS. My three were 13, 10 and 8 when we moved here, and have never looked back. Honestly, I'm pretty stressy, and set in my ways but it has been fine. Things are different, a bit. I spent a long time cross about how bad the butter is, but I'm (almost) over it now. I agree with whoever said VPN use is fine. Feel free to pm me if I can do anything to help when you get here.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The irony of an immigrant complaining about immigration never fails to amuse me. Read any online article about immigration in Canada and you'll find Canadians saying exactly the same about immigrants like yourself.

My observation is that the UK has improved massively over the past 20 years, not least because of the immigrants and multiculturalism that we now have. Although it seems that Brexiteers/the old are determined to ruin that for the rest of us!

As said above, only some immigrants in Canada are selected on a points system, the rest aren't, and they account for far more immigrants that those with the requisite number of points.

I actually ( sorry FL) emailed Yorkshire Tea, and they assured me the tea sold here is exactly the same as the blend in the UK.

Last edited by Teaandtoday5; Mar 8th 2017 at 1:34 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 1:43 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Not that this thread has gone sideways or anything ...we got given this for Christmas...it is unlikely to be touched for another year.. Not my cup of tea Snoop and I just drink coffee
Attached Thumbnails Reluctantly moving, need advice-image.jpeg  
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Not that this thread has gone sideways or anything ...we got given this for Christmas...it is unlikely to be touched for another year.. Not my cup of tea Snoop and I just drink coffee
Christmas gift for Becki perhaps?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 2:12 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Reluctantly moving, need advice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Christmas gift for Becki perhaps?
Probably a tad too much orangeyness with a permeating peko undertone ...Becki may prefer PGTips..
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:24 am
Just Joined

UxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond reputeUxSims has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

My wife went through a similar process when she moved to the UK from the states. For years it drove her mad that all the shops closed at 6 pm. It will also take some ability on your husbands part to hear negative things about his own country, I found it hard to explain to my wife why things were they way they were without getting frustrated, but as he has lived in the UK he should understand a little more what you are going through.
He doesn't live in the UK. He has lived abroad tho, so I think he will somewhat understand.

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
My q? is why wont he move to the UK? after all he would only be uprooting himself..rather than you uprooting kids etc and going to the other way...seems a bit selfish to me or did i miss something?
We have considered both, in the end opted out for Canada for several reasons:
With the Brexit, as several people have pointed out on this thread, things have taken a turn for the worse and we do not feel is the best environment to raise kids.
The town where we (the children and I) live, isn't the best.
He has a better job in Canada than I do over here.
My house here is tiny, and for us to relocate, it would take a while. On my own I cannot ask the bank for a larger mortgage, so it would take quite a while for him to move, get a job and be in a position to help me with that side of things.
We weren't sure I could sponsor him on my salary.
Canada comes across as more open minded which is a plus for us.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If your partner works in central Toronto and he'll be commuting from Uxbridge, then I predict that he'll be the first to find life miserable, not you.
Yes, his job is in central Toronto. I don't know about the commute, I'm only going with what he told me. He said it was possible, even if a pain. That's why I said reasonable, only going with what he told me. After having visited several times, I did wonder about the same myself.

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5
I have lived near Stouffville (not too far from Uxbridge) for almost six years now, and would agree that Uxbridge seems like a nice town. Not sure how old your kids are, but I have heard good things about Uxbridge SS. My three were 13, 10 and 8 when we moved here, and have never looked back. Honestly, I'm pretty stressy, and set in my ways but it has been fine. Things are different, a bit. I spent a long time cross about how bad the butter is, but I'm (almost) over it now. I agree with whoever said VPN use is fine. Feel free to pm me if I can do anything to help when you get here.

My kids are 13, 9 and 4. Thank you for your offer
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that orange pekoe is mild. I don't put milk in my tea and that one is nice to drink black. Makes a change from green tea.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 11:14 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been that sure about this move, ever since we started talking about it. I love the UK. It's my home, it's what i know and I honestly hate changes. But, realistically, it made more sense for us to move there than for him to move here, so I reluctantly agreed.

I want to do this for the right reasons, but I keep on finding out about details that seem worse than in the UK.
My partner is aware of how I feel about moving and he has been supportive, even though he does remark that, from all women around, he had to pick the one who isn't that in love with Canada or jumping to move
We have considered both, in the end opted out for Canada for several reasons:

With the Brexit, as several people have pointed out on this thread, things have taken a turn for the worse and we do not feel is the best environment to raise kids.

The town where we (the children and I) live, isn't the best. He has a better job in Canada than I do over here.

I'm not sure if I'm having last minute jitters or justified fear, being such a major change. It all feels rather overwhelming and scary. If it was just me, I would be more than fine. But I'm terrified of making such a huge decision that will impact not just me but my kids as well.
What is it with people that get themselves into a situation then start questioning everything?

Like the millions every year that move from their homeland to a new country, there is no such thing as a 'perfect situation or that it will be easy'

Imagine all the options that you have today compared to what it must have been like for say ('a now Grandmother') a young war bride with children (from any country in Europe) coming to Canada 'by ship' after the second world war to be with their husband. No second guessing, no turning back in those days.

None of the skype, internet, facebook or mobile phones, and likely without the ability to 'call home' for the reason not many folks had phones back then. A total disconnect with only by 'writing letters back home' to those that miss you

IMO, you are starting off on the wrong foot, possibly looking for the negatives or an excuse not to come to Canada, 'could it just be nerves of the change & uncertainty' or, maybe you are coming to Canada for the wrong reasons, likely when you get here you will 'try to find fault in everything or anything' is my guess.

I have no time for whinging Poms

From your posts you do not appear to be enthusiastic about the move, the adventure, all that is ahead of you could be the best thing that ever happened in your life.

You married the Canadian, told him that you would come to Canada, now airing your feelings on a forum. Does he know your feelings about this as much as we do?

Come on over, give it a go, the kids will be just fine, do not compare Canada to the UK, give it at least 5 years - then if it's not for you, do whatever it takes to find happiness

Last edited by not2old; Mar 8th 2017 at 11:49 am.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:13 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I think when people meet, regardless of whether you are a Brit meeting a Brit, or a Brit meeting a Canadian, in the UK... you dont decide on the outset if you would move to their homeland. You meet them, you fall in love, you start a life. Its more emotive than anything else.
I am sure the OP didnt intend to be that woman that married a Canadian who wouldnt entertain a move. I am sure the OP is a person who met someone who fell in love.
I am also feeling, from this thread, that the OP is not a fan of moving to Canada, shes happy with her life in the UK but before making the enormous move to another country, shes doing what all humans need in life, shes seeking support. Shes also looking to see if her fears are justifiable or non-issues... This is a big deal to her. Lets not forget that.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am also feeling, from this thread, that the OP is not a fan of moving to Canada, shes happy with her life in the UK but before making the enormous move to another country, shes doing what all humans need in life, shes seeking support. Shes also looking to see if her fears are justifiable or non-issues... This is a big deal to her. Lets not forget that.
For the moment, picture this

The OP comes to Canada, settles in just fine, the kids are OK.

Fast forward 25 years, life has been good to the OP who is now about 60 years old, a Grandmother her own children have done just fine.

Over the years in Canada the OP has been 'back home' on holidays, her relatives have visited

Then one day out of the blue she wakes up with a deep desire to 'move back home to the UK'

OMG, should I, shouldn't I, what will it be like, I know nobody, my parents have passed, the friends that I had all disbursed.

The UK will be foreign ground

As we've seen on BE, there are the 'wannabee' immigrants that cannot wait to get here, the curb kickers, those that have the fear or uncertainty of coming to Canada (unless they are refugees) to the 'going back home'
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:30 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
For the moment, picture this

The OP comes to Canada, settles in just fine, the kids are OK.

Fast forward 25 years, life has been good to the OP who is now about 60 years old, a Grandmother her own children have done just fine.

Over the years in Canada the OP has been 'back home' on holidays, her relatives have visited

Then one day out of the blue she wakes up with a deep desire to 'move back home to the UK'

OMG, should I, shouldn't I, what will it be like, I know nobody, my parents have passed, the friends that I had all disbursed.

The UK will be foreign ground

As we've seen on BE, there are the 'wannabee' immigrants that cannot wait to get here, the curb kickers, those that have the fear or uncertainty of coming to Canada (unless they are refugees) to the 'going back home'
I am a little confused. Why do we need to picture this? This could happen to anyone of us regardless of how we started out on our expat life.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 12:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
If you want good tea in Canada, buy it from a specialty tea shop, not a supermarket.
Twinings not any good then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.