Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Reluctantly moving, need advice

Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:04 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reluctantly moving, need advice

Originally Posted by UxSims
Hello

Thank you for all your replies.

We are going from Peterborough, a bit north from Cambridge, and would be moving to Uxbridge.

My partner lives and works in Toronto, and his family lives relatively close to Uxbridge. I have visited several times and the kids have been there once recently. We picked Uxbridge because we both loved the small town look, seemed like a good place to raise a family, it's near his parents and it's not an impossible commute (long, but still doable).

His condo in Toronto is too small for all of us, so we are now in the process of buying a bigger house so we could avoid first renting and then moving again. We have also visited schools and are happy with that side of things.

My partner is aware of how I feel about moving and he has been supportive, even though he does remark that, from all women around, he had to pick the one who isn't that in love with Canada or jumping to move

I'm not sure if I'm having last minute jitters or justified fear, being such a major change. It all feels rather overwhelming and scary. If it was just me, I would be more than fine. But I'm terrified of making such a huge decision that will impact not just me but my kids as well.

Many thanks
My q? is why wont he move to the UK? after all he would only be uprooting himself..rather than you uprooting kids etc and going to the other way...seems a bit selfish to me or did i miss something?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:57 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My theory is that you'll like you be fine here. You're exoecting it not to be perfect, a dream as so many call it, and so you won't be disappointed.

I moved here after several vacations and was exoecting it to be just wonderful and I was disappointed. Now I've been here a while it's a good place to be.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Most tea here is labeled as 'Orange Pekoe' which I find is milder than the black teas I had in the UK.
That's because Orange Pekoe is gross
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:40 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Ah, this is a well tried BE discussion. Orange pekoe is the grade of tea and is the same that you get in the UK

Last edited by bats; Mar 6th 2017 at 11:45 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Orange Pekoe is a classification of black tea based upon the origin of the leaf. To be classified as pekoe, the tea must be composed purely of the new flushes – a flush being the leaf bud plucked with two youngest leaves. (Any other leaves produce teas of lower quality.)

So…the orange pekoe term refers to a grade of black tea based on the size of leaf and its location on the tea plant.

So how many on here think Yorkshire Gold tea is made in Yorkshire
We make Yorkshire Tea by combining the best teas together in just the right amounts, layering the complimentary flavours of 10-20 different teas to create a uniquely balanced and consistent brew.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Orange Pekoe is a classification of black tea based upon the origin of the leaf. To be classified as pekoe, the tea must be composed purely of the new flushes – a flush being the leaf bud plucked with two youngest leaves. (Any other leaves produce teas of lower quality.)

So…the orange pekoe term refers to a grade of black tea based on the size of leaf and its location on the tea plant.

We make Yorkshire Tea by combining the best teas together in just the right amounts, layering the complimentary flavours of 10-20 different teas to create a uniquely balanced and consistent brew.
Correct.

PG Tips "PG tips only uses the top two leaves and bud of each plant"

Orange Pekoe "This includes the terminal leaf bud along with a few of the youngest leaves"

So basically (apart from any blending they may do) PG Tips is Orange Pekoe

I've been to tea plantations in Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon) and have seen them picking, sorting, drying and then tasting/blending tea leaves. It's an art form.

Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:15 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Ah, this is a well tried BE discussion. Orange pekoe is the grade of tea and is the same that you get in the UK
I wish people's would would stop going on about this and every time I say I hate Orange Pekoe I get the same response.

There is sometime about the tea in Canada here that I don't like.

Im not going to stop saying it!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 5:51 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

I wish people's would would stop going on about this and every time I say I hate Orange Pekoe I get the same response.

There is sometime about the tea in Canada here that I don't like.

Im not going to stop saying it!
Oh settle down and have a nice cuppa to calm your nerves Becki
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:21 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UxSims

My partner lives and works in Toronto, and his family lives relatively close to Uxbridge. I have visited several times and the kids have been there once recently. We picked Uxbridge because we both loved the small town look, seemed like a good place to raise a family, it's near his parents and it's not an impossible commute (long, but still doable).
If your partner works in central Toronto and he'll be commuting from Uxbridge, then I predict that he'll be the first to find life miserable, not you.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:05 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Oh settle down and have a nice cuppa to calm your nerves Becki
I will...I've got the good stuff from UK so I don't have to settle for second best
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If your partner works in central Toronto and he'll be commuting from Uxbridge, then I predict that he'll be the first to find life miserable, not you.
Totally agree. 1 hr 50 door to door from Uxbridge go station to Lincolnville Go train and then that train to Union station. Monthly fare = $369. 82 km one way by car.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:19 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, is there a 'Lancashire' tea?

I looked...OMG, there is.

Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Out of interest, is there a 'Lancashire' tea?

I looked...OMG, there is.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...90c35c8e7f.jpg
The rich fertile land in the Trough Of Bowland and around Fleetwood are ideal for growing Lancashire tea.

Now contrary to belief tea is actually grown in the UK.
Tregothnan Estate, in England's Southwestern county of Cornwall, is producing the first tea ever to be grown in British soil.
Britain now grows tea! An Atricle about tea production in England
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Totally agree. 1 hr 50 door to door from Uxbridge go station to Lincolnville Go train and then that train to Union station. Monthly fare = $369. 82 km one way by car.
I've just seen where Uxbridge is and that is not a reasonable commute to Toronto. I think if you had to do it the way to go would be to buy two cars and use one to drive to Ajax/Pickering/Whitby as there's a reasonable train service from there. It'd be better though to get a flat in town and stay there during the week which is what my colleagues in Guelph who live in Toronto do; I think that's a comparable distance though they, of course, would be going against the traffic, from Uxbridge you're not.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Now contrary to belief tea is actually grown in the UK...
Yes, I vaguely recall seeing something about it.

Belief tea to leaf tea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.