Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reluctant kids?

Reluctant kids?

Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:55 am
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice
Default Reluctant kids?

Hi

One of my kids is becoming increasingly concerned about the (potential) move to Canada. She is upset at leaving family behind (predominantly) and knows exactly which of my buttons to press so that we both end up in tears at the prospect of leaving!

Now this is a child that hates change of any sort, we had murders with her over changing her duvet cover to something a little more grown up and is actually like that with any change no matter how big or small.

The other kids have up and down days but it is so hard knowing how to deal with this one - she is 10.

Work permits permitting we should be moving out over the summer. My gut feeling is to move asap and make the long goodbyes as short as possible. I just don't know what to do for the best with her.

How did you deal with reluctant children?

Thanks

SB
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:33 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reluctant kids?

Originally Posted by Sleeping_Beauty45
Hi

One of my kids is becoming increasingly concerned about the (potential) move to Canada. She is upset at leaving family behind (predominantly) and knows exactly which of my buttons to press so that we both end up in tears at the prospect of leaving!

Now this is a child that hates change of any sort, we had murders with her over changing her duvet cover to something a little more grown up and is actually like that with any change no matter how big or small.

The other kids have up and down days but it is so hard knowing how to deal with this one - she is 10.

Work permits permitting we should be moving out over the summer. My gut feeling is to move asap and make the long goodbyes as short as possible. I just don't know what to do for the best with her.

Thanks

SB
Tell her she'll get better duvet covers in Canada, that may tempt her . Sorry for not being of help but I dont have kids yet so dont know how to deal with them species in these situations.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

No kids here either and you've probably tried this but.......

I'd just make sure you put an emphasis on the great things she can look forward to. Research with her on a 1:1 basis, write down bits and bobs that interest her etc etc. Make plans that are personal to her, drum up the excitement.

All in all, keep trying to sell it to her as well as trying to make it not seem a big deal. I'm pretty sure any anxiety from parents and other close adults filter through to the kids and she may well be thinking, if it upsets them then there must be something to worry about.

Failing that, watch the link Butch Cassidy placed in a recent thread showing how Chooper Read would advise you
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

How old is the child ?

I moved my daughter 12 and son 11 at the time and I found that getting her hooked up with some kids in Canada or in the UK who were going through the same thing beneficial.

I was lucky and linked Hannah up with MKMurrays daughter as they were both year 7 in the UK when they were moving and then I stayed in touch with the mom and if we were worried then between the 4 of us we could highlight and deal with the problems.

Hannah is on here as hannahb12 in the youth club get your child an account and help her to find a post from Hannah and ask away at questions - she would be only too happy to help allay any nerves etc. BTW Hannah is now nearly 15 and isnt interested in living in the UK but would love to go and see what people thought of the person she is now.

Good Luck - never an easy thing to do but it wil work out for sure.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

ours wasnt overly reluctant, but we got her to design her new bedroom and what she will have in it, so she has some input into the whole process.

we have been here 5 months now and shes still redesigning it and changing her mind on what she wants i think shes forgotten that she could actually have stuff if she wanted
Old Jun 17th 2009, 9:30 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

SB
Originally Posted by burton bunch
How old is the child ?
The clue maybe in the bit I underlined Gay
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Alan T is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks

SB
Hi
Our son was 8 when we moved here last year,he is a shy nervous child & was scared of the change,but he loves it here & has from day one if I`m honest.He has loads of friends & plays outside all the time he has never been happier. I`m sure once your here your daughter will be fine.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
The clue maybe in the bit I underlined Gay
Clever Bugger arent you
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

My 9yo daughter is having a lot of fun researching new dance schools/ swimming pools/ brownies etc via the internet. we move in aug, and I think the minute we move in she'll have the phone in my hand and a list of stuff she insists I organise...

Our youngest is rather more of a routine girl, so we are emphasising similarities but adding on the 'same but better' embellishments

The boy child will doubtless be entirely silent throughout the proceedings, and then have a giant hissy fit at some point.

We got the 9yo to write up a list of her belongings that she wanted waiting for her when we arrived, and then she helped pack them (they have now been shipped lol).

I notice you say (potential) move, though? We really didn't make that big a deal out of the possibility until we were pretty much certain we were going - very few kids revel in that sort of uncertainty... Maybe highlight the fab holidays etc that you and your relatives will be able to have - get her to look up some cool places to visit with them..?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

... for 'same but better', read 'no 'Rainbows', but 'Sparks' instead, and they wear pink not red!' This only works as a plus if you are 5 though...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:49 pm
In limbo!

Sleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really niceSleeping_Beauty45 is just really nice

Thank you for all your replies, I will see if the kids want to sign up on here and start making friends.

Unfortunately we are stuck in a real limbo situation - we are due to hear about the TWP any time and would like to move out within the next month so we have to start preparing the kids - besides we are packing up the house which is now sold (we wanted to move regardless of whether the work permit application is successful), the house goes in about four weeks time so we have to deal with the impending change although we do not know what we are preparing them for or where we will end up

We have gone through all the benefits, the kids have all picked which sporting activities and leisure activities they want to do, we show them houses (real estate agent is sending through details) asking their opinions etc. Problem is that they are reluctant about leaving family behind which of course we understand. The biggest factor is all the uncertainty. It is hard as adults to deal with so god knows what it is doing to the kids.

We talk to them in terms of "if we go" rather than "when we go".

Anyway thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

I am totally speculating here so bear with me...

You're daughter seems to be a "creature of habit", given the way you described her as resisting or being upset at even the biggest of changes. Maybe the "what if" part of this move scares her more than anything because she doesn't KNOW what is going to happen and therefore can't prepare for the change adequately??

Just a thought. You of course know your daughter best. Good luck
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:30 pm
In limbo!

Originally Posted by HurricaneHayles
I am totally speculating here so bear with me...

You're daughter seems to be a "creature of habit", given the way you described her as resisting or being upset at even the biggest of changes. Maybe the "what if" part of this move scares her more than anything because she doesn't KNOW what is going to happen and therefore can't prepare for the change adequately??

Just a thought. You of course know your daughter best. Good luck
I am sure that it is the "what if" that is upsetting her but unfortunately as we do not yet have our work permits and the house is sold there is very little way to actually decrease this anxiety. She is too old to "hide" everything from so it isn't as if we have toddlers and you can "pretend" nothing is happening, so we have to try to deal with the situation as best we can - and I totally understand her anxiety on the not knowing, we are all feeling it!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

I wasn't suggesting hiding things at all.... honesty is the best policy.

As I said, was just an idea. I have no firm answers or suggestions on how to solve the issue and perhaps there is no solution at this stage?
Old Jun 18th 2009, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi
I also have reluctant kids. The uncertainty doesn't help but now we're closer to certainty that seems to be upsetting them more - we had medicals just over a month ago. Like you say, you can't hide - I'm spending all my spare time decorating the house so we can sell it. My three are ages 10, 8 and 3. The 3yr old isn't a problem. The eldest was very keen and still is but since telling her friends at school has encountered some jealousy. My eldest son was the real problem. Last October he was so unhappy that he tried to smash our new double glazing with his skateboard. I arranged a short visit to Canada for me and the two eldest - my son said he wasn't even going to get on the plane and his behaviour was off the wall. On the second day there he said 'I didn't think I'd like Canada mum but I do'. I arranged for them each to spend a day at the school - my son thought he was just staying for the morning but was having such a good time that he stayed all day and when asked said that was the best bit of the trip. A visit may not be possible but if it is may be well worth it. It's not all being plain sailing since then and both the 10 and 8 year old have their moments, but hey so do the parents!!
I got my daughter to sign up on the kids forum but she has not received any replies at all - PM me if it would be possible for our kids to email each other as I'm sure mine would love that. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.