Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Relocation Experiences please??

Relocation Experiences please??

Old Nov 22nd 2015, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Nataliebate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocation Experiences please??

Hi, my family and I are seriously considering relocating to BC. We have been told that as my husband is an electrician we should be able to fast track. We're looking at moving somewhere near the mountains but not to remote due to work opportunities. Can anyone tell me about their experiences of relocating please?? Our only concern is how we'll cope moving away from family. Thankyou! Natalie
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 1:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocation Experiences please??

hi Natalie, welcome to BE's where you will useful information, support and some dodgy humour.
Our experience was good in that we moved, found a lovely home, settled our children, made new friends and got jobs reasonable quickly. it's been 4.5 years now and I am now in a company I love and my career has been back on track for a year, hubby's career is also now back on track.
It can take some effort to be established financially but everyone's experience is different. How close you are to family can make a huge difference too. If you spend lots of time together it can be much tougher.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for coming back to me! My mother and father in law will follow us on and hopefully buy a business there once they've sold up here and we are very close to them so that's a comfort. Where do you now live if you don't mind me asking? We got married in banff and also spent some time in Vancoover, we fell in love with the place. We want our girls to have the best quality of life and outdoor adventure. So hopefully I can be strong enough for them to leave my side of the family behind. At least there is FaceTime! It's great to hear other people's experiences. We are going to try and book a 3 week trip in the summer to have more of a look around. Thanks again!
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

There's no 'fast track' visa application for electricians, your husband will just apply for a visa as everybody else does, and it will take the same amount of time. Assuming he'd qualify under the Federal Skilled Trade Program, then he'll need to score above approx 450-480 on the CRS to be in with a chance of being invited to apply for PR.

Have your MIL and FIL applied already? If so, they might well beat you out there!

Do also look in to what your husband will need to do to get licensed to work in Canada, hopefully Aviator might see your post and be able to give you some advice in that respect.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response. We were looking at going through an agency, I contacted a company called visamigrate who said based on my husband being skilled as an electrician we shouldn't have a problem and would roughly take 12 months...should they accept us! Yes we would then need to make sure he had work and make sure we have plenty of savings behind us. Any advice is greatly received.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nataliebate
Thanks for your response. We were looking at going through an agency, I contacted a company called visamigrate who said based on my husband being skilled as an electrician we shouldn't have a problem and would roughly take 12 months...should they accept us! Yes we would then need to make sure he had work and make sure we have plenty of savings behind us. Any advice is greatly received.
Please, please, please, search the forum to see what's been said about Visa Migrate in the past.

You shouldn't need to go use anybody to help you with your application unless you have complicated circumstances i.e. criminal records or medical issues, but you do want to use somebody, please use a proper lawyer or consultant rather than a 'visa agency'.

Do also check that your husband scores enough on the CRS to be selected, otherwise it could all be pointless and there's no point in spending money on things like IELTS exams and ECA's if he's not likely to be selected and invited to apply for PR anyway.

You also wouldn't need to 'make sure he had work', once he gets PR then he can do what the heck he likes when he gets to Canada, whether that's working, setting up his own business, studying, or even retiring. There's no requirement for him to work at all (unless he needs a job offer to get a visa - that will depend on his points score on the CRS as mentioned above).

You do need savings though, they're correct on that point, depending on how many children you have it will be around $22-32k you'll need in your bank, although that's considered by most to be very low for the amount actually required to set up home in Canada (and obviously you'll need a good chunk more for the process before you get there), so do try and have as much as possible.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry, just a thought but in case your in-laws haven't already applied (it's not clear from your first post, I thought it sounded as though they just had a house to sell and then they'd be over, but now I'm not sure if I'm reading it right), do check they'd qualify for a visa too.

If you're counting on them being able to move to Canada too and only want to go if they can, do check that carefully, as they'll struggle to get enough points if they're older.

HTH.
Old Nov 22nd 2015, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Natalie!

Just to echo what's already been said & add that you should read & work through this link:
Immigrate as a skilled worker through Express Entry

Also, C'oompa is *very* polite. I'll stick my neck out & say don't touch the agency you mention with a barge pole.

Your in-laws should check out the above link too; especially regarding investor/business immigrants.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 3:24 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Call me pessimistic, but I don't think this thread is going to end well....
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point

in terms of your parents, mine came over and stayed for the standard 6months. I applied for extended visas for them before the six months came up. They don't residency as such but it means they can stay there as visitors without having to leave every six months. Once I was settled, I applied to sponsor them but the timescale was up to 10 years so be warned.

Vancouver is pretty expensive to buy property so be warned and make sure you do all your research, twice over.

Totally echo Christmasoompa, you should not need to use an agency to file your application. They are going to fill in the exact same forms you need to and don't get your application any preferential treatment. You just pay for the privilege. Wasted money IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

NSF1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Call me pessimistic, but I don't think this thread is going to end well....
Pessimist!
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 1:28 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for coming back to me! My mother and father in law will follow us on and hopefully buy a business there once they've sold up here and we are very close to them so that's a comfort. Where do you now live if you don't mind me asking? We got married in banff and also spent some time in Vancoover, we fell in love with the place. We want our girls to have the best quality of life and outdoor adventure. So hopefully I can be strong enough for them to leave my side of the family behind. At least there is FaceTime! It's great to hear other people's experiences. We are going to try and book a 3 week trip in the summer to have more of a look around. Thanks again!
Hi Natalie, we live in Nova Scotia so the other side of the country. Good luck with your research and please please listen to peoples views on those consultants....
Old Nov 23rd 2015, 11:44 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my family and I are seriously considering relocating to BC. We have been told that as my husband is an electrician we should be able to fast track. We're looking at moving somewhere near the mountains but not to remote due to work opportunities. Can anyone tell me about their experiences of relocating please?? Our only concern is how we'll cope moving away from family. Thankyou! Natalie
Not sure of the mainland, but Vancouver Island could do with a few more reliable electricians. The electrician I've used for years and who I get long well with, came to size up a handful of jobs around our house (put a brass plug in the floor, move another socked, put up a new hall light/chandelier thing. He left promising a quote and timescale to do the work. Not heard a thing since!
So if your husband can challenge the Red Seal exam and acquire the relevant visa, I've got some work for him right here! I have no doubt, however long your visa application will take, that the jobs will still need doing.
Old Nov 29th 2015, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!!! We relocated to Kamloops and love it. Has everything you need (apart from a severe lack of family Doctors if that's an issue), close to the Lower Mainland but also far enough away. Lol. Awesome weather -four great seasons. Canada's 2nd largest ski resort just 50 minutes from Downtown. Surrounded by hundreds of lakes, mountains, beautiful views and every outdoor sport you can think of. We are the Tournament Capital. Come check it out too if you come over on vacation. Housing is quite reasonable too.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

robinswh is an unknown quantity at this point

coming up to 39 years in alberta it was rough at first took a year to get straight if you want to succeed you will. (snipped)

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 3rd 2016 at 11:37 pm. Reason: Never a good idea to put your full name or details in a forum.. I was able to track you down in less than 1 minute!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.