Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Registering with a Doctor

Wikiposts

Registering with a Doctor

Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice
Default Registering with a Doctor

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could explain the process of registering with a family doctor in Ontario.

We moved here in October, and just getting around to doing this now. We stay in Ajax, and I've found somewhere nearby who seem to be accepting new patients at the moment. I gave them a call, and we have a 'Meet & Greet' appointment with this doctor in just under a couple of weeks.

So what happens next? Are we then registered?

The person who answered the phone seemed to say that after the meet & greet, there will be some follow-up appointment later and a physical at some point. He also said after the meet & greet, we would have a verbal agreement with the doctor about being registered (unless there was some reason not to accept us). I asked him if that would be us then officially registered. He said at this point, the doctor is not officially registering with the ministry. He is practising in another couple of locations as well, and when he settles down (I think he said in one, and also not sure where the other locations are), he'll register the patients with the ministry.

So to sum it all up, I've no idea what this all means... Could someone please explain the process and give me a heads up as to what happens, what to expect, etc.

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 4:55 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering with a Doctor

sounds a bit long and protracted to me. I'm not signed up with any dosctor but Ben is
I know there is a form that you( or doctor , forget which) sign
i think it is yellow.
so to answer your question , when you have your copy of the form is when you are "officially " registered.
why your doctor is putting so many steps ahead of that is beyond me. i don't think that sounds normal
but could be wrong
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

graham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nicegraham1710 is just really nice

Yea, I'm not sure exactly. That was just what I could gather from the phone conversation with the person that answered. But I don't really have any knowledge on it all, so couldn't really ask specific questions.

I guess I can ask the doctor in a week and a half, but would be good to understand it all better before then :-)

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:28 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by graham1710
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could explain the process of registering with a family doctor in Ontario.

We moved here in October, and just getting around to doing this now. We stay in Ajax, and I've found somewhere nearby who seem to be accepting new patients at the moment. I gave them a call, and we have a 'Meet & Greet' appointment with this doctor in just under a couple of weeks.

So what happens next? Are we then registered?

The person who answered the phone seemed to say that after the meet & greet, there will be some follow-up appointment later and a physical at some point. He also said after the meet & greet, we would have a verbal agreement with the doctor about being registered (unless there was some reason not to accept us). I asked him if that would be us then officially registered. He said at this point, the doctor is not officially registering with the ministry. He is practising in another couple of locations as well, and when he settles down (I think he said in one, and also not sure where the other locations are), he'll register the patients with the ministry.

So to sum it all up, I've no idea what this all means... Could someone please explain the process and give me a heads up as to what happens, what to expect, etc.

Thanks,

Graham.
i Have been here 5 years and still dont have a doctor
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i Have been here 5 years and still dont have a doctor
And yet 5 of us obtained a doctor within 2 weeks of arriving in Calgary.

To the OP, no wonder there is a shortage of available doctors in Ontario if this is the shite they put you through to become registered. It's a wonder they have any time left to see patients that actually need to see a doctor. I trust the taxpayers are willing to pay for such "consultations"
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:07 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

we have 3 walk in clinics all within 5 minutes walk. I use those
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

Lol, I've no idea if this is the 'norm' or not. It does sound a little crazy though, and I'm not sure if they're suggesting this person might end up moving somewhere else after...

So is there much/any benefit to having a family doctor here, versus a walk-in clinic? There are walk-in clinics near us, so I'm just wondering the benefits of having a family doctor. It certainly seems to be something people want, if they can get it!

Do people here register with a dentist and go every so often? I know that's off topic, but just came to mind! :-) I know it's not OHIP covered, but we do have coverage via my work.

Graham.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Thanks for the replies.

Lol, I've no idea if this is the 'norm' or not. It does sound a little crazy though, and I'm not sure if they're suggesting this person might end up moving somewhere else after...

So is there much/any benefit to having a family doctor here, versus a walk-in clinic? There are walk-in clinics near us, so I'm just wondering the benefits of having a family doctor. It certainly seems to be something people want, if they can get it!

Do people here register with a dentist and go every so often? I know that's off topic, but just came to mind! :-) I know it's not OHIP covered, but we do have coverage via my work.

Graham.
If you need to see a doctor regularly and you would like to be able to see the same one each time, then being registered with a doctor may be beneficial. However, if you anticipate seeing a doctor every 18 months or so, I fail to see how being registered is preferable to going to a walk in.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you need to see a doctor regularly and you would like to be able to see the same one each time, then being registered with a doctor may be beneficial. However, if you anticipate seeing a doctor every 18 months or so, I fail to see how being registered is preferable to going to a walk in.
I think/hope I'm more likely to be one of the ones rarely going to a doctor. Even though we had a 'family doctor' in the UK, I just saw whoever was available at that practice for the odd time I went.

If I'm registered with a doctor, do I have to see that person at that clinic, every time? I'm happy to go to the same clinic, but waiting till that specific doctor had an appointment would annoy me, lol. I'd happily see whoever was available.

I've also heard they don't really like you going to walk-in ones if you are registered?

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think/hope I'm more likely to be one of the ones rarely going to a doctor. Even though we had a 'family doctor' in the UK, I just saw whoever was available at that practice for the odd time I went.

If I'm registered with a doctor, do I have to see that person at that clinic, every time? I'm happy to go to the same clinic, but waiting till that specific doctor had an appointment would annoy me, lol. I'd happily see whoever was available.

I've also heard they don't really like you going to walk-in ones if you are registered?

Thanks,

Graham.
It depends on the clinic. My wife always see the same doctor, I see whichever one can see me at a mutually convenient time.

Who is the "they" that doesn't like it?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
It depends on the clinic. My wife always see the same doctor, I see whichever one can see me at a mutually convenient time.

Who is the "they" that doesn't like it?
Makes sense. I'm like you - happy to see whichever one is available at a mutually convenient time.

Sorry, I should have clarified "they" - I just assumed you'd know my thoughts, lol :-) "They" are the clinic you're registered with. I'm sure I've heard that if you then go elsewhere, even just a walk-in, your clinic aren't particularly pleased. I may be making that up though!

Thanks,

Graham.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Makes sense. I'm like you - happy to see whichever one is available at a mutually convenient time.

Sorry, I should have clarified "they" - I just assumed you'd know my thoughts, lol :-) "They" are the clinic you're registered with. I'm sure I've heard that if you then go elsewhere, even just a walk-in, your clinic aren't particularly pleased. I may be making that up though!

Thanks,

Graham.
That could be the case. I don't know.