Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Registering an AB car in ON

Wikiposts

Registering an AB car in ON

Old Jun 7th 2021, 6:44 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Registering an AB car in ON

Hi all

I have done inter-provincial registration transfers before so I know the overall process but this one has a caveat and I am wondering if someone can help.

So the car is currently registered in Alberta as co-ownership with my wife and we would like to transfer the registration to Ontario where the car is physically based. We would like to put the new registration under my name only as so that we can sell the car here when my work contract ends and its time to move back to Alberta as the car is not worth transporting all the way back anymore. Problem is that my spouse is still in Alberta so she can’t visit a Service Ontario office to sort out the transfer together.

I have heard that there is a way to do this where the absent party can authorize the transfer in their absence. Does anyone know the process or what possible options there maybe in a situation like this?

Thanks!
Old Jun 11th 2021, 1:53 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Registering an AB car in ON

I don't know, but the best thing to do would be for her to go to the registries and ask. Maybe she has to sell her share to you?
Old Jun 12th 2021, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I don't know, but the best thing to do would be for her to go to the registries and ask. Maybe she has to sell her share to you?
Yeah, may be best to just take her name off the registration in Alta and have it sole ownership in your name, then you can transfer it to ON.

In ON it isn't common to have multi-party ownership, most couples have one car under one persons name and the other under the other person. Thats how my parents always did it. And my car is still under my dad's name, though the next one will be under my own.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We have always had my name on car (and house) ownership, even though I don't drive ....... but it does mean that I have certain rights ....... including being able to have the car de-registered when OH went to NZ for 10 months.

It also means that I could sell the car if it so happened that I had to do so.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 4:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of use.. but I agree with Gozit, it will probably be easier to remove one name in Alberta and only register it in one in Ontario... is it possible to 'gift' the vehicle from one party to the other in Alberta?
https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...p-ontario.html
Old Jun 18th 2021, 2:51 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
This may be of use.. but I agree with Gozit, it will probably be easier to remove one name in Alberta and only register it in one in Ontario... is it possible to 'gift' the vehicle from one party to the other in Alberta?
https://www.thinkinsure.ca/insurance...p-ontario.html
I know we have 'sold' a car to each other. Essential to put market value on cor insurance purposes.