Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Register with a doctor?

Wikiposts

Register with a doctor?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all
Default Register with a doctor?

Just arrived as a PR last week.

I've got a need to see a doctor, nothing too urgent, but something I should get checked out.

I've not yet registered for any kind of health service, so how should I go about finding and registering with a doctor?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Register with a doctor?

Originally Posted by jameswales
so how should I go about finding and registering with a doctor?
I haven't done that yet, I just go to a walk in clinic.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

jameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to alljameswales is a name known to all

Is it free?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it free?
If you have a provincial healthcare card it's essentially free, there are some catches; the same as visiting a doctor with whom you're registered. But, yes, you need to go along to the provincial issuer of health care cards to get one first.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 26th 2010 at 11:43 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ah, that's the problem, I've not yet applied for a healthcare card.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Ah, that's the problem, I've not yet applied for a healthcare card.
You can probably walk in and get one the same day, best to do that before being hit by any busses (if there are busses down there).
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:02 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worthwhile in the future indicating which Province you are in or adding it to your profile.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:05 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Might be worthwhile in the future indicating which Province you are in or adding it to your profile.
NS, I think.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

In which case you'll need one of these

http://www.gov.ns.ca/health/msi/
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get sorted with your health-card, otherwise you pay. May also take time to find a doctor, been here over 2 years and had problems finding one, thankfully not required apart from one trip to ER for suspected broken wrist (no health-card at that time hence me knowing about paying although I felt it wasn't that expensive to what I was expecting)
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:11 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I've just got back from NS and had to go to a walk in clinic last week for a nasty insect bite. I haven't yet got my card as we are still living in the UK.

I paid 50 bucks before even getting past the receptionist. I would suggest getting your health card sorted asap, unless your ailment is urgent then get yourself down to a walk in clinic.

HTH

Karen
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:03 am
Banned

walker65 has a spectacular aura aboutwalker65 has a spectacular aura aboutwalker65 has a spectacular aura about

We registered with a doctors this week and they advised to let them know when our cards come through.
They did not mind that we was waiting for them, but my sister-in-law is registered with the same doctors, so not sure if that helped ??

I hope you manage to get the matter sorted.

Walker
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:32 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

You can go in and collect your card there and then , we went to the office on the burnside ind estate.

Hit and miss re doctors, we managed to get registered within a week or of arriving at our local ish one, but it can depend, as others have mentioned you can use walk in clinics in the short term, or long term!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:50 am
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Getting a family doc [quickly] depends a lot on where you live in NS.

Up here in this area of the north Shore the waiting list is somewhere between 2,000 and 4,000 (last time I heard based on various quotes and opinions). This could be a real problem for anyone who really needs a family doctor.

As others have said, walk-in-clinics are available, as is ER (expect a long wait preceded by a possible interrogation, depending on the hospital) but you will need an MSI card for the free treatment or a wad of cash.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:16 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Getting a family doc [quickly] depends a lot on where you live in NS.

Up here in this area of the North Shore the waiting list is somewhere between 2,000 and 4,000 (last time I heard based on various quotes and opinions). This could be a real problem for anyone who really needs a family doctor.

As others have said, walk-in-clinics are available, as is ER (expect a long wait preceded by a possible interrogation, depending on the hospital) but you will need an MSI card for the free treatment or a wad of cash.
In New Glasgow there have been a few doctors retiring within the last 12 months but the good news is that 3 new doctors plus another doctor will be returning from maternity leave within the next few months so thats great news for the area.

The Walk-in Clinic is open 5-9pm week days and 9-1pm Saturdays and stats so the ER is used as a daytime Walk-in Clinic, hence the long waits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.