Regina - whats it like?

Regina - whats it like?

Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:32 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road
Default Regina - whats it like?

Hi,

I have a interview for a job in Regina. I planned to be going to Calgary but must look at this opportunity, can anybody tell me what Regina is like to live in, what the schools are like (15 yr old boy), housing costs etc...

Thanks
TMB
Old Aug 30th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

fowler71 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Regina - whats it like?

Originally Posted by tmb
Hi,

I have a interview for a job in Regina. I planned to be going to Calgary but must look at this opportunity, can anybody tell me what Regina is like to live in, what the schools are like (15 yr old boy), housing costs etc...

Thanks
TMB
Regina is not expensive to live in, compared to most Canadian cities but there are reasons for that.
1. In the middle of nowhere (8hrs from Calgary and Winnipeg, 3hrs from Saskatoon
2. Bitter praire cold
3. Second most dangerous city in Canada due mainly to poor living standards of it's high number of Aboriginal people.
4. All the trees mostly Elm were planted.

However the people in Regina are very friendly and it's a simple life. Schools are as good here as any other small city.
You really have to experience the city for yourself, personally i would not live there for any money. Calgary and Vancouver are much better.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say I've never been, but I wouldnt let the "second most dangerous city" tag put you off. It's all relative, and you'll still find crime to be much less than what you're used to.

Winters will definitely be cold, but then, the summers are warm and dry.

Vancouver would be a beautiful place to live, but my impression seems to be that most new immigrants to the city end up up moving on shortly after due to the ridiculous property prices. Unless you have significant equity, moving to Vancouver is unlikely going to be a realistic destination for you.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

as post 2 says.....? ??middle of nowhere, its on the prairies nothings close ..everything is in middle of nowhere .
its a city ..of course there is crime..!
imo its not too bad as citys go...

Last edited by jamesmc; Aug 31st 2010 at 12:07 am.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:29 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the misfortune to live there for 6 months and the Mrs is from there. It is your typical Praire town, humid summers, harsh winters, lots of snow. Not much in the way of amenities and shops etc. Lots of Native Indians wandering around the town centre drunk. Cheap housing, although not as cheap as it was. Good people though, very freindly.

Skastoon is much better.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:48 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Regina is a wonderful city to live. It has plenty of shops and amenities north, south and west of the city. There are good restaurant, entertainment, hotels and most of all the people are probably the friendliest I have ever met.

There are native americans in abundance as parts of the city are designated urban reserve. There are a lot of renovations happening downtown in preparation for the proposed new intermodal railway yard.

It has an airport which like most of the airports sends you to either calgary, toronto or Miniapolis to get you onto other places. Unless it's a holiday destination then occassionally you go direct.

I have some wonderful British friends who live in Regina, some for over 30 years.

There is an area which you probably wouldn't want to rent or buy, but that area is a lot larger in Saskatoon.

Saying that I live about 40 mins away in the resort town of Regina Beach.

There are some cute little towns/villages within a reasonable comute to Regina. There are 4 seasons winter which lasts for about 5 months and few weeks of spring, summer and winter.

Temperatures in the summer got to 36 this year, my coldest winter day was 38 minus you don't lick metal on that day

I snowmobile, ice fish and skate in the winter along with play the Wii with friends after a wonderful dinner. but I am 54 and that suits me fine

In the winter we spend a lot of time on our boat on the lake. If that's a bad way of life then I count myself lucky.

Oh and Saskatoon is a wonderful place with a lot of character but too far away from the border for me. I like to pop down to Minot for a bit of shopping and cheap beer now and again.

Where do you have a job?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:12 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Regina is a wonderful city to live. It has plenty of shops and amenities north, south and west of the city. There are good restaurant, entertainment, hotels and most of all the people are probably the friendliest I have ever met.

There are native americans in abundance as parts of the city are designated urban reserve. There are a lot of renovations happening downtown in preparation for the proposed new intermodal railway yard.

It has an airport which like most of the airports sends you to either calgary, toronto or Miniapolis to get you onto other places. Unless it's a holiday destination then occassionally you go direct.

I have some wonderful British friends who live in Regina, some for over 30 years.

There is an area which you probably wouldn't want to rent or buy, but that area is a lot larger in Saskatoon.

Saying that I live about 40 mins away in the resort town of Regina Beach.

There are some cute little towns/villages within a reasonable comute to Regina. There are 4 seasons winter which lasts for about 5 months and few weeks of spring, summer and winter.

Temperatures in the summer got to 36 this year, my coldest winter day was 38 minus you don't lick metal on that day

I snowmobile, ice fish and skate in the winter along with play the Wii with friends after a wonderful dinner. but I am 54 and that suits me fine

In the winter we spend a lot of time on our boat on the lake. If that's a bad way of life then I count myself lucky.

Oh and Saskatoon is a wonderful place with a lot of character but too far away from the border for me. I like to pop down to Minot for a bit of shopping and cheap beer now and again.

Where do you have a job?
I guess it comes down to what you are used to. Having lived in major urban areas, I find Regina lacking on the whole. Someone coming from a small town may disagree. I was very underwhelmed with the place and couldn't wait to leave. there are very few restaurants, coffee shops etc, but as noted, it comes down to perception based on what you are used to.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:26 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dboy
I guess it comes down to what you are used to. Having lived in major urban areas, I find Regina lacking on the whole. Someone coming from a small town may disagree. I was very underwhelmed with the place and couldn't wait to leave. there are very few restaurants, coffee shops etc, but as noted, it comes down to perception based on what you are used to.
Bit of a mixed bag so far!

But thanks for the comments
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tmb
Bit of a mixed bag so far!

But thanks for the comments
I echo Dboy's sentiments. Wild horses couldn't drag me there to live.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 6:11 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

I originated from the Rhondda Valleys too many people, houses too close together, a very big drug problem, stores closing every day. I went to Calgary about a year after moving here and thought it was like being back in Cardiff.

but as you say it's what you want out of life - and this suits me.

Good luck in whatever you choose.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

three12sox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tmb
Hi,

Thanks
TMB
Hi I live near Regina and also in Alberta if you get a job offfer in Sask take it you will not geta job in Alberta
Take my advise its a great place the people are superb
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Lumsden (near Regina) for a year having stopped over in Regina on a flight to Calgary and vowing never to set foot in the place.

Lumsden is nice little village really in the Qu'appelle valley. Very pretty and not far from Regina.

Winters are fine - you drive most places anyway over here.

http://www.lumsden.ca/lumsden/
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:09 am
Just Joined

chefferJon is an unknown quantity at this point

If Regina wants more water we flush twice in Saskatoon. The winters here are nasty.... but with all things you adapt. The summers are great as long as you don't get flooded out. (record rainfall this year).
Saskatoon is better it is not as flat. There is sooo much better green areas. Schools i cannot comment on.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 6:12 am
tmb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chefferJon
If Regina wants more water we flush twice in Saskatoon. The winters here are nasty.... but with all things you adapt. The summers are great as long as you don't get flooded out. (record rainfall this year).
Saskatoon is better it is not as flat. There is sooo much better green areas. Schools i cannot comment on.
well not many people have anything good to say about Regina< I dont really understand why! If I am offered the job there I will have no choice but to live in Regina as I will be in the emergancy services and on call

So can anybody give me any positives about the city?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

firstly, I have never been to regina, but I have a couple of friends who where born and raised there. They seemed to like it well enough, but wouldn't move back there - they feel safer in Winnipeg.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.