Reload this Page >

Regina - whats it like?

Regina - whats it like?

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

three12sox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regina - whats it like?

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
firstly, I have never been to regina, but I have a couple of friends who where born and raised there. They seemed to like it well enough, but wouldn't move back there - they feel safer in Winnipeg.
Look Ive live in the Quapele Valley near lumsden it absolutely great i also live in southern Alberta if you compare the winters of both these past years their has been little difference. Alberta has had no summer at all this year where Sask has had sunnier periods
On the econmy front Sask is where to be with potash and oil production, Alberta is fighting a losing battle with dirty oil, people are not coming here because of lack of jobs. look every city has their rough spots but if you get a job offer their you run with it because you wont get one in your field in alberta.
When your their go to a Rider game if their doesnt give you a sense of Saskatchewan nothing will.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by three12sox
Hi I live near Regina and also in Alberta if you get a job offfer in Sask take it you will not geta job in Alberta
Take my advise its a great place the people are superb
Originally Posted by three12sox
Look Ive live in the Quapele Valley near lumsden it absolutely great i also live in southern Alberta if you compare the winters of both these past years their has been little difference. Alberta has had no summer at all this year where Sask has had sunnier periods
On the econmy front Sask is where to be with potash and oil production, Alberta is fighting a losing battle with dirty oil, people are not coming here because of lack of jobs. look every city has their rough spots but if you get a job offer their you run with it because you wont get one in your field in alberta.
When your their go to a Rider game if their doesnt give you a sense of Saskatchewan nothing will.
I didn`t note that the OP had stated what their job was. Why do you think that it will easier to obtain a job in Regina? Is the OP a potash farmer?

What do you mean by "fighting a losing battle with dirty oil?" Last time I looked the oilsands were making lots of money and making a massive contribution to the Canadian economy. I appreciate that they may be losing the environmental battle.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:19 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tmb
well not many people have anything good to say about Regina< I dont really understand why! If I am offered the job there I will have no choice but to live in Regina as I will be in the emergancy services and on call

So can anybody give me any positives about the city?
It really comes down to if you will be better off here or not, as Regina is not the sort of place you would move to just to be there. It's not all bad. The Quappale Valley is nice and the city, while lacking is fine for day to day needs. There are many nicer cities to live in in the UK.

Compared to teh UK, Emergency Services pays better than the UK and working conditions tend to be better (I'm a cop) and housing will be cheaper in Regina, but not like it used to be. I imagine if you took a small northern UK city, there wouldn't be much difference in the cost of living.

So at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself is it worth uprooting your family and dragging them halfway across the world, losing friends and contact/support of family etc along the way to plonk yourself in a unremarkable part of the world.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

chefferJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok i give.. Regina may not be all that bad. There is a saskatoon / regina rivalry going on.
I find that the city layout was not planned very well, it becomes extremely hard to navigate at rush hour; and after a football game the roads are one big prking lot.
And unfortunatly the water joke does hold true, somedays the tap may have a slight tinge of colour to it.
But over 100 000 people call it home so it can't be all that bad
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

chefferJon is an unknown quantity at this point

oh and go to rider games, gone to three so far and wow they are fun
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:33 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a photoblog of Regina and it has links to other Regina sites

http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Here's a photoblog of Regina and it has links to other Regina sites

http://reginainpictures.blogspot.com/
I,m thinking this fella hasn't travelled much. He's sure looking through a different lens than I did! Most of his pics are of one area of the city.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:44 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dboy
I,m thinking this fella hasn't travelled much. He's sure looking through a different lens than I did! Most of his pics are of one area of the city.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=139486
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

you can make anywhere look pretty for sure but there are other links to info about Regina. Another good way to get an idea of a place is to read the local newspapers.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:21 am
Always lurking.

gingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of lightgingnut is a glorious beacon of light

Well since everyone has mentioned the crime in Regina I thought I would tell a story about my experience. About 6 years ago we had a piece of poop car that was going to breakdown and be worthless. The neighborhood we lived in was not the best( by the general hospital for people with local knowledge). So for about 6 months we hoped the car would be stolen and trashed so we could at least get some insurance money. Every night we left that car in our driveway unlocked waiting for someone, anyone to take it and do what they wanted with it. Well on a cold winter that car finally broke down, I don't even think even got anything for the scrap. Crime is something you can not count on to be there when you need it.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:10 pm
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gingnut
Well since everyone has mentioned the crime in Regina I thought I would tell a story about my experience. About 6 years ago we had a piece of poop car that was going to breakdown and be worthless. The neighborhood we lived in was not the best( by the general hospital for people with local knowledge). So for about 6 months we hoped the car would be stolen and trashed so we could at least get some insurance money. Every night we left that car in our driveway unlocked waiting for someone, anyone to take it and do what they wanted with it. Well on a cold winter that car finally broke down, I don't even think even got anything for the scrap. Crime is something you can not count on to be there when you need it.
Thank you for all the replies, good and more indifferent! Just to update everybody I had my telephone interview yesterday and I received a phone call today asking me, my wife and my son to make a visit to check the place out!

I have decided to go take a look for myself so any information views etc.. of what to take a look at in the few days we are there? We need to look at accommodation and schools (15 yr old boy) really into sports.

Thanks
TMB
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond reputeducktastic has a reputation beyond repute

I had the misfortune to live there for 6 months and the Mrs is from there. It is your typical Praire town, humid summers, harsh winters, lots of snow. Not much in the way of amenities and shops etc. Lots of Native Indians wandering around the town centre drunk. Cheap housing, although not as cheap as it was. Good people though, very freindly.

Skastoon is much better.
where haven't you lived dboy?!
Old Sep 10th 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ducktastic
where haven't you lived dboy?!
Oh a few places

I was actually in Regina when I was based at Depot Division for 6 months basic training.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd take everything thats been said with a slight pinch of salt, the truth is everyones experience of a place is different, I went to regina as an exchange student at the university, then came back to intern with a company and came back again for a holiday, but my experience will be different to yours because I'm 23 and single.

Personally I love Regina, yes it has its bad parts (mainly around the stadium) but it has its nice areas as well particularly regina ave is a very nice area, its near the legislator, the sk goverment building, theres a lot of expensive houses near the legs but the further you go in theres more affordable housing and its a nice neighborhood.

If your into cycling or kayaking or even just going for a walk you should check out lake wascana.

theres lots of bars and resturants to go out to as well as a fair few cinemas and in the winter the ice skating rinks open up.

As for the suggestion that regina is difficult to navigate, its not every sector of the city is off the main street in regina, Albert street after that the city is split into for areas, north, south, east and west all of which follow the block system and because its in a completely flat area regina is pretty much a square.

thats a really short summary of regina and it doesnt do it justice, regina like any place is what you make of it, as long as you see it for what it is and accept it warts and all you'll be fine.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:00 am
tmb
Forum Regular

tmb is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by stubby42
I'd take everything thats been said with a slight pinch of salt, the truth is everyones experience of a place is different, I went to regina as an exchange student at the university, then came back to intern with a company and came back again for a holiday, but my experience will be different to yours because I'm 23 and single.

Personally I love Regina, yes it has its bad parts (mainly around the stadium) but it has its nice areas as well particularly regina ave is a very nice area, its near the legislator, the sk goverment building, theres a lot of expensive houses near the legs but the further you go in theres more affordable housing and its a nice neighborhood.

If your into cycling or kayaking or even just going for a walk you should check out lake wascana.

theres lots of bars and resturants to go out to as well as a fair few cinemas and in the winter the ice skating rinks open up.

As for the suggestion that regina is difficult to navigate, its not every sector of the city is off the main street in regina, Albert street after that the city is split into for areas, north, south, east and west all of which follow the block system and because its in a completely flat area regina is pretty much a square.

thats a really short summary of regina and it doesnt do it justice, regina like any place is what you make of it, as long as you see it for what it is and accept it warts and all you'll be fine.
Hi all, well I have just returned from Regina and seen it for myself and I must say having read most of the post on here I was pleasantly surprised how nice I found the city. We were there for % days and looked at schools and housing. My son has choosen Winston Knoll Colligiate as his school of choice in the North West so we will be looking for te,mp accomodation there to start with. Yes like every city there are areas that are a little less favarable but in general I was suitable impressed, the city was sold very well to me by my propesctive boss with fantasic facilities especially for sports. So I await the job offer which I am told will be with me by Tuesday and then we go from there....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.