Wikiposts

Regina SK

Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice
Arrow Regina SK

Hey

I'm 20 years old and looking to go to the University of Regina, from London UK, to get a Degree in Psychology.
I have read a few bad things about Regina such as crime, but also some good, and all the photos that I have seen of the area look really nice. I was just wondering if anyone here had moved there and how they have found fitting in and if the city feels like a nice place. Also, if anyone has any photos that they have taken of the area, I'd be interested in seeing them, I've trawled through 100's on the internet but am still after more heh

edit: if anyone knows of the best way to travel here from London id appreciate it. so far the best I can seem to find is canadian affair to calgary, and then a flight from calgary to regina.

Last edited by Brodel; Oct 9th 2004 at 4:09 am.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regina SK

Originally Posted by Brodel
Hey

I'm 20 years old and looking to go to the University of Regina, from London UK, to get a Degree in Psychology.
I have read a few bad things about Regina such as crime, but also some good, and all the photos that I have seen of the area look really nice. I was just wondering if anyone here had moved there and how they have found fitting in and if the city feels like a nice place. Also, if anyone has any photos that they have taken of the area, I'd be interested in seeing them, I've trawled through 100's on the internet but am still after more heh
Out of interest - why not do a psychology degree in the UK?

You should check the degree is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association, and also check how it's recognised by the British Psychology Society if you want to use it in the UK.

Also check how the university concerned is ranked among Canadian universities. McGill in Montreal, Queens in Kingston, and the University of Toronto are better known internationally.

If you're not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you will need a student authorisation and fees will likely be higher.

Another thing to consider about living in SK is that its winters - even in comparison to Toronto - are COLD. If you're only used to UK winters be prepared for a shock.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 9th 2004 at 4:15 am.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest - why not do a psychology degree in the UK?

You should check the degree is accredited by the Canadian Psychological Association, and also check how it's recognised by the British Psychology Society if you want to use it in the UK.

Also check how the university concerned is ranked among Canadian universities. McGill in Montreal, Queens in Kingston, and the University of Toronto are better known internationally.

If you're not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident you will need a student authorisation and fees will likely be higher.

Jeremy
Thanks for the reply. Yea I am aware of the fees, the reason for wanting to attend a Canadian University is beacuse I prefer the way the system works, with regards to being more rounded with studying a range of subjects before specializing in one and flexible.

From looking around, Regina seems to be the best one that is in my price range and it is listed on the CPA website.

Last edited by Brodel; Oct 9th 2004 at 4:18 am.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in Regina for over 30 years now and don't listen to what they say about the crime. Of course it has crime, but nowhere near as bad as bigger places. Most crime is committed by young kids who have nothing better to do - school drop outs - stuff like that.

Apart from one area - North Central is what its called - older area - lots of natives - I would not hesitate to go walking after dark. I think its a very safe place to live. Also, probably the student accommodation is cheaper than a lot of bigger places. Regina is about the cheapest place to live in Canada. There are places with more amenities and warmer weather but who knows - they may cost lots more in tuition and housing. They just built some new student apartments on campus and there are lots and lots of apartments and condos right around the university, within walking distance, even in winter.

Once you get here and start your studies and meet up with other young people - I am sure you will have a great time. Saskatchewan people have a reputation for being really friendly and after all - who really cares in the big scheme of things if we don't have an opera house or live theatre every night? Most people can't afford it even if they did want to go.

As for the degree - obviously the U of R would not offer a psychology course if it was not accepted by all the Canadian Associations.

As for the weather, when I first moved here I didn't notice the cold. I was always far colder in the damp of England. Mind you after a couple of years you get to notice it! Regina is small enough that you can get from one end of the city to the other in 20 minutes. The bus goes to the university and if you have a car the gas is a lot cheaper than in the UK and because the city is small you don't have to travel 100 miles to go visit your friends in the other end of the city.

Anything else you want to know - just ask.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great reply

I agree with regards to Opera houses etc, I'm not the most out going/club seeking person anyway.

It's reassuring to hear about the crime, I was a bit worried when after being accepted, I stumbled across an article about how bad it has been there, but from looking at a lot of crime statistics, it did seem that most were like you said, small crimes.

I am aware of the new housing at the University which looks very nice, obviously I would love to go there on a residence visa, and although I have relatives in Thunder Bay, I think they are too distant to help in regards to that, so it is looking like I will have to pay the full International fees and be on a student visa which I am in the process of getting everything together before I apply.

I like the idea of the area being pretty compact, and from what I have seen, still has its fair share of good shops and malls.

A few questions I do have, are there any places where you can rent storage as I will be going home for the summer and would be easier to keep things in Regina.
Are there any good thrift stores or places for cheap winter clothes, being a student I am on a tight budget, and winter clothes are the most difficult to bring as they take up so much space.
And lastly, do you know of the best way to fly to/from Regina? The best I could find was a seperate flight to Calgary, and then a flight from Calgary to London with Canadian Affair?

Thanks for your time
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

So far as I am concerned, the best way to get here is through Calgary. Its a fairly small airport. I went through Toronto once - never again! Canadian Affair seems to have some really good cheap flights. You can check out their website. Not sure where you are coming from but they seem to fly from various airports in the UK.

Value Village is huge - it has everything in clothing. I always go there for jeans for my husband. Some of the things look brand new. The only trouble is that there is so much stuff its sometimes hard to sort through it all. Its on Broad Street and maybe 7th Avenue - somewhere around there. Value Village also has pots and pans and dishes etc. etc. Its in the same mall as the Sears Bargain Centre - they often have cheap jackets there too. I think clothing is generally cheaper here than it is in the UK.

There is also a Sally Ann - its moved to Albert Street. I haven't been to the store since it moved.

Once you get to Regina you will realize that quite a bit of the crime involves natives. I think its supposed to be racist to say that - even if it is true. You can take a look at the Leader-Post to read about the goings on here. I have a security system on my house as do quite a few other people because like most countries, break-ins are quite common. The other thing we had a problem with here is kids stealing cars but since the cops cracked down on them it seemed to have slowed down. It was the same few kids stealing cars all the time, but of course nowadays kids have no respect for the law because the law doesn't demand respect any more.

http://www.canada.com/regina/leaderpost/index.html

My son went to the U of R. He lived at home but I don't think the fees as so expensive as lots of other universities.
Old Oct 11th 2004, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the info, those stores sound like a good place for a student on a budget.

You say that you feel safe to walk after dark, but break-ins are quite common, and kids stealing cars? heh you are braver than I am