Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Regarding Voltage adapter or converter for Canada

Regarding Voltage adapter or converter for Canada

Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:48 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Regarding Voltage adapter or converter for Canada

I think it depends on the specific appliance.

Really large kitchen appliances - don't bring.

Smaller kitchen appliances - up to you. If you are fine to deal with a transformer, then you can make your stuff work, like others have said, and just change over to Canadian stuff as required. We decided not to faff with having a transformer in the kitchen. Others are fine with it.

Televisions - depends what you're plugging into it. If it's just an HDMI cable, probably fine. If it's SCART/actual cable connections, you may run into issues.

Small bathroom appliances - don't bring over. Stuff like your blow-dryer or your iron probably won't work because they can't draw enough power. And it's not expensive to replace that stuff.

Portable electronics (cell phones, laptop, desktop, etc) - Most of those sorts of things will work with either voltage. Laptops, for example, auto-detect the voltage and adjust as required. Your desktop computer probably has a switch in the power unit to tell it what voltage it's at (ours did).
Old Jul 7th 2015, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough

This is helpful ^^^

The only electrical items i would hope to bring are...
tvs with HDMI cables
Nespresso/juicer for the kitchen
Electric piano

so all of these 'should' work by plugging them in to a transformer and plugging the transformer into the wall?
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the blairs
This is helpful ^^^

tvs with HDMI cables
Electric piano

so all of these 'should' work by plugging them in to a transformer and plugging the transformer into the wall?
Yup. They'll work fine. So will garage tools if you use a big enough trAnsformer
Old Jul 7th 2015, 7:48 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

This is helpful ^^^

tvs with HDMI cables
Electric piano

Yes, absolutely. The electric piano (depending on model) may not even need a transformer; some are dual-voltage.

My only caveat would be for the juicer. You mentioned up-thread that this runs at 1300W or something? You'll need to size a transformer to cope with that power, plus a bit extra for the start-up current draw. A suitable transformer will be large, heavy and expensive. I would seriously consider selling the juicer and buying one here designed for this market.

But for the TVs, coffee pod thing, and piano, I would certainly bring them if there's a container coming anyway and there's room to pack them well and fit them in. Large flat-screen TVs do need to be very well protected for transport - the original carton with styrofoam inserts, or a wooden crate. Your shippers will probably advise on their preferred option.
Old Jul 7th 2015, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you!! Clarification after all 😉
I shall pack and bring with me. Lots to pay out for already without scraping pennies for what we have and shelling out thousands to replace it!
I shall not bother with the juicer though, based on your advice.

Thanks again
Lyndsey x
Old Jul 8th 2015, 12:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for the confusion. As an electrical engineer that's worked over Africa I'm very used to having to jury-rig stuff out of necessity. On the other hand bringing stuff out of Nigeria was never a serious option and I appreciate that once you've got the container it makes sense to fill it. We came here with 8 suitcases.

I didn't actually know you could get plug and play step up units like that Amazon one. If you're taking that approach you should be fine- just get your watts right. I was assuming you'd be building something from Maplin (Sayal here) without knowing what you're doing.

I'd suggest you forget trying to use the Canadian 240- unless you get a local electrician to rig something for you on the side. It's not a question of whether the appliance will work, it's the risk of shock/ fire for plugging something in that is not intended for that electrical supply. You can see Rivington an my debate on this in another thread when I pondered using the 240 to get a UK soldering iron going...

Last comment- Canada is all about sales, so bringing UK electronics over makes sense as you will get gouged if you have to buy stuff in the first week or so. If you sign up to Canadian Tire you can put a sale watch on items, and it emails you when your item comes up for sale- often 40-60% discount. That's how I answered my soldering iron dilemma for $8!

cheers

well I am utterly confused.

It's not about 'really wanting' to bring my stuff it is about bringing things that work completely fine rather than flogging them here for pittance and having to fork out thousands of dollars to replace what we had.

If I can plug my things in to a transformer that costs £50 and it works then why would I not do that????

It is not going to change the amount I have been quoted for my containers if I take a couple of tvs out.

I think I'm struggling to see how some people can say yes it will work when others say no it won't. Either it will or it won't??? or am i missing something?

**just to clarify - I will NOT be rewiring things. I will simply be looking to plug something in to a transformer. also I will NOT be relying on analogue. I use Sky here and would be looking for something similar when i get there.
Thank you!! Clarification after all 😉
I shall pack and bring with me. Lots to pay out for already without scraping pennies for what we have and shelling out thousands to replace it!
I shall not bother with the juicer though, based on your advice.

Thanks again
Lyndsey x
Old Jul 9th 2015, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Sorry for the confusion. As an electrical engineer that's worked over Africa I'm very used to having to jury-rig stuff out of necessity. On the other hand bringing stuff out of Nigeria was never a serious option and I appreciate that once you've got the container it makes sense to fill it. We came here with 8 suitcases.

I didn't actually know you could get plug and play step up units like that Amazon one. If you're taking that approach you should be fine- just get your watts right. I was assuming you'd be building something from Maplin (Sayal here) without knowing what you're doing.

I'd suggest you forget trying to use the Canadian 240- unless you get a local electrician to rig something for you on the side. It's not a question of whether the appliance will work, it's the risk of shock/ fire for plugging something in that is not intended for that electrical supply. You can see Rivington an my debate on this in another thread when I pondered using the 240 to get a UK soldering iron going...

Last comment- Canada is all about sales, so bringing UK electronics over makes sense as you will get gouged if you have to buy stuff in the first week or so. If you sign up to Canadian Tire you can put a sale watch on items, and it emails you when your item comes up for sale- often 40-60% discount. That's how I answered my soldering iron dilemma for $8!

cheers
:thumb up: Thanks for the Canadian Tire sale info - I'm on it! :thumb up:

No worries over the rewiring stuff - I know you only had my best interests at heart

Lyndsey x