Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Refund for those in the backlog

Refund for those in the backlog

Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:04 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refund for those in the backlog

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I think it's because the recent ones have applied under the system that was created to fill the needs of Canada as it is now regarding skills and such like.
But how do they know the needs wouldn't be met by the backlog ones - they haven't looked at 'em yet
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:05 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost embarassed that our application was so straight forward. For those poor families the disappointment must be crushing!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:10 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigals
This is a bit more than shit happens,its more like a shit service and a lot of people being shit on!!!!
I was making a comparison to the same situation that's happened to individuals emigrating elsewhere. Except they received no refund. I spent a couple of years putting my life on hold, getting professional accreditation to meet immigration criteria, spent several thousand pounds, and all for nothing. As I said, it's the same the world over.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

bigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nicebigals is just really nice

[QUOTE=R I C H;9979611]I was making a comparison to the same situation that's happened to individuals emigrating elsewhere. Except they received no refund. I spent a couple of years putting my life on hold, getting professional accreditation to meet immigration criteria, spent several thousand pounds, and all for nothing. As I said, it's the same the world over.[/QUOTE

You are right shit happens,but was Australia a change of the rules or was it just throwing applications in the bin due to the incompetence of the immigration dept
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Not working
It is in post No. 19!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:16 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
But how do they know the needs wouldn't be met by the backlog ones - they haven't looked at 'em yet

Actually they have been allowing the province's PNP programs go through the applications (with the permission of the applicants) for occupations that the province's consider high demand. Then those applicants are asked if they wish to apply to that provinces PNP program.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
From a CIC report on immigration.

2010 Target Occupations

Architects
Engineers
Medical Laboratory Technologists
Occupational Therapists
Pharmacists
Physiotherapists
Registered Nurses
Financial Auditors and Accountants

2012 Target Occupations

Dentists
Engineering Technicians
Licensed Practical Nurses
Medical Radiation Technologists
Physicians
Teachers (K-12)
The ones I highlighted above are interesting (well, to me anyway!) - the college where I work runs diploma programs for MLT and MRT. We could fill the seats three or four times over with qualified applicants - but the Province says it doesn't need any more qualified graduates than we churn out each year, so we cannot get more funding to train up more people. But Canada is short of these workers?

Do the notes relating to the required skills for immigration say you have be very experienced in your field?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:21 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It would, if the Canadians were any good. My wife has worked as an Executive Co-ordinator since arriving, and has hired a couple of Canucks, with business and adminstration-type degrees no less. She only has a couple of A-Levels to name (about Grade 12 equivalent). She has also had to fire those "wunderkind cradles"; just not up to the job. I think the government doesn't want to admit that the cradles do not stack-up against the immigrants!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:23 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Shit happens the world over. I was a few months away from moving to Australia at one point in time, the goalposts got moved by government and the opportunity went. No refund either.
+1.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

I am 50/50 on it, its awful for genuine applicants, but reading other forums, you see how many fraudulent applications sit in the pre 2008 backlog.
We are in the 2008-2010 backlog and to be honest i was expecting that to be thrown in the bin as well.
After 2 years of waiting we really wanted to be in Canada, so we made it happen, I do question if people waiting 7 years+ for PR without looking at alternatives, really were committed.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 11:00 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Actually they have been allowing the province's PNP programs go through the applications (with the permission of the applicants) for occupations that the province's consider high demand. Then those applicants are asked if they wish to apply to that provinces PNP program.
The main issue I can see with this is that PNP programs generally require applicants to have a job offer. Unless they have plans to start a business in that province, or family members in the province etc. So a province that has a shortage of welders (for example) might find lots of welders in the pile and say to them "hey, why don't you apply under our PNP?" but they can't. They would need to all find job offers first. So unless the all the provinces are going to develop new immigration streams that are occupation based to allow these applicants to apply under i'm struggling to see how this would help.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 11:11 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I've just read the Vancouver Sun article. It looks like they'll all just be told to start again if they still want to apply. I think this is incredibly unfair! I know immigration isn't a right, but at the same time to mess about with people's lives like this is shocking!

Whoever you all are, I feel for you.
It is incredibly unfair. More specifically it is a breach of the duty of procedural fairness owed to these applicants by CIC. This is a principal clearly established in common law and I would say the backlog applicants would absolutely have a case for filing a lawsuit against the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

From a CIC report on immigration.

2010 Target Occupations

Architects
Engineers
Medical Laboratory Technologists
Occupational Therapists
Pharmacists
Physiotherapists
Registered Nurses
Financial Auditors and Accountants

2012 Target Occupations

Dentists
Engineering Technicians
Licensed Practical Nurses
Medical Radiation Technologists
Physicians
Teachers (K-12)

Where the feds get their information from? We have teachers up the ying-yang, and I have never had trouble getting a dentist.
This isn't a list of sought after immigration professions, this is the list where they are trying to expedite qualification recognition.

Pan-Canadian Framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications

http://www.credentials.gc.ca/fcro/pr...report2011.asp
Old Mar 30th 2012, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul Wildy
It is incredibly unfair. More specifically it is a breach of the duty of procedural fairness owed to these applicants by CIC. This is a principal clearly established in common law and I would say the backlog applicants would absolutely have a case for filing a lawsuit against the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration.
It has little to do with procedural fairness. Parliament is supreme, providing its legislation complies with the constitution, it can enact what it wishes. We all know that the backlog was caused by lowering the points to 67 but acknowledging that would result in blaming Canada's "nice" political party.

Canada's annual quota of visas was being met each and every year. There were more people applying than visas available. The move to attempt to match applicants' skills with skills required appears a good system. I accept that there will always be argument about which skills are required.

The alternative, of course, was to continue to allow those in the backlog to languish. Of course, one would assume that, if one was in the backlog and did not pull the application and reapply, it was because one no longer qualified. If one accepts that this is a better system, what the Government has done makes sense.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 30th 2012 at 1:02 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
It would be a fool that kept their application in the backlog that qualified under the current rules, particularly in light of the fact that the more recent applications are processed much faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.