Reload this Page >

Red seal exam - plumber/gas fitter

Red seal exam - plumber/gas fitter

Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sian22040 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red seal exam - plumber/gas fitter

Hi guys,

I am currently waiting for my IEC invite but not holding out much hope so in the meantime am looking into plan B. My OH is a plumber/gas fitter and we are looking into him getting a temporary work permit. He only has 387 CRS so we thought if we went out on TWP then he could get extra points for Canadian work experience and for sitting certificate of qualification which may give him a chance with EE.
My questions: we are looking possibly at Halifax ATM. Do you need to have sat the exam first before you can work over there or is there a period you can work whilst you wait to sit the exam? Will companies hire you prior to sitting this exam? If he needs to do the exam before working can he enter on visitors visa just to sit the exam? Can you start the process from U.K. And how long would you need to be present in Canada before you can sit the exam?
Thank you for any help offered
Sian
Old Jan 9th 2017, 4:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red seal exam - plumber/gas fitter

Hi, I've moved your thread to the main Canada forums as I think you're more likely to get some responses there, particularly from the forum oracle on 'Red Seal', Aviator.

But I'm not sure why you think you won't get an IEC? At the moment you are in with a great chance, given how many places there still are and how few people have applied this year! So I wouldn't give up on the IEC route just yet.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, I've moved your thread to the main Canada forums as I think you're more likely to get some responses there, particularly from the forum oracle on 'Red Seal', Aviator.

But I'm not sure why you think you won't get an IEC? At the moment you are in with a great chance, given how many places there still are and how few people have applied this year! So I wouldn't give up on the IEC route just yet.
Thank you, I think it's just I'm in the Facebook groups and seeing some negativity and don't want to put all our eggs in one basket
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interprovincial Trades Exam- plumber/gas fitter

Originally Posted by Sian22040
Hi guys,

I am currently waiting for my IEC invite but not holding out much hope so in the meantime am looking into plan B. My OH is a plumber/gas fitter and we are looking into him getting a temporary work permit. He only has 387 CRS so we thought if we went out on TWP then he could get extra points for Canadian work experience and for sitting certificate of qualification which may give him a chance with EE.
My questions: we are looking possibly at Halifax ATM. Do you need to have sat the exam first before you can work over there or is there a period you can work whilst you wait to sit the exam? Will companies hire you prior to sitting this exam? If he needs to do the exam before working can he enter on visitors visa just to sit the exam? Can you start the process from U.K. And how long would you need to be present in Canada before you can sit the exam?
Sian
Plumber and Gas Fitter are two separate qualifications. Gas Fitters are certified under the safety authority, plumbers under trades. To sit (challenge) the exam a candidate must be able to prove 12000 hours work experience. If accepted to challenge, you can sit the exam as a visitor.

Without a trade certification, working under the supervision of a journeyman is OK, however it would be doubtful this would get a LMIA approved (which is needed for a TWP).

https://nsapprenticeship.ca/trades#accordion52

Click on the trade for full details.

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 9th 2017 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Interprovincial Trades Exam- plumber/gas fitter

Originally Posted by Aviator
Plumber and Gas Fitter are two separate qualifications. Gas Fitters are certified under the safety authority, plumbers under trades. To sit (challenge) the exam a candidate must be able to prove 12000 hours work experience. If accepted to challenge, you can sit the exam as a visitor.

Without a trade certification, working under the supervision of a journeyman is OK, however it would be doubtful this would get a LMIA approved (which is needed for a TWP).

https://nsapprenticeship.ca/trades#accordion52

Click on the trade for full details.
Thank you for the information do you know if we can submit all the proof of experience whilst in U.K. And then just arrange to go over and sit the exam or do we need to go over and submit evidence in person and wait for them to arrange exam?
Do you know what the best study material is to use?
Do you know how long the whole process takes?

Thank you
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the information do you know if we can submit all the proof of experience whilst in U.K.
You can

And then just arrange to go over and sit the exam or do we need to go over and submit evidence in person and wait for them to arrange exam?
Yes

Do you know what the best study material is to use?
Talk to the training authority.

Do you know how long the whole process takes?
Mostly depends on the applicant. If all is in order, not long. Again, discuss with the training authority. Each province is different.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
You can

Yes

Talk to the training authority.

Mostly depends on the applicant. If all is in order, not long. Again, discuss with the training authority. Each province is different.
Thank you I emailed the training officer the other day I'm still waiting for a reply so il have to chase them up
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:20 pm

Thank you I emailed the training officer the other day I'm still waiting for a reply so il have to chase them up
They have lots of people to deal with. Giver it a week and then phone. Don't rely on e-mail as a first point of contact.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Sian

My experience.

Im in BC and on a common law visa, slightly easier for me as I was already here. But you would go though a similar process of challenging the Plumbing Red Seal Interprovincial exam.

I filled out a application form to challenge the Red Seal Exam, I had to prove 9630 work hours in the trade. The Industry Training Authority (ITA) in BC (may be a different name in Halifax) weren't interested in seeing my City & Guilds, didn't want copies of them or other paper work. All I submitted was the Challenge Application Form which asked for was references contact details and dates for previous companies I had worked for in the UK.

I paid the fee, and submitted my application form. I was told to it would take up to 6 weeks to get a reply. 4 weeks later I received a letter by e mail saying I was able to sit the exam and I had 1 year to pass it from the date on the letter.

The exam is 4 hours long with 125 questions. It's multi choice, with 4 answers per question. 70% to Pass.

You need to know Metric and Imperial. As you will get maths questions in both. Even though the Plumbing Code Book is in Metric, everyone on a construction site works in Imperial, drawings are in Imperial.

I would recommend getting a copy of the National Plumbing Code of Canada 2015. Your OH will want to learn this inside out.

You will most likely get a couple of questions on Rigging, Welding. Other things that you will be quizzed on are Septic Tanks, Reverse Osmosis, Sizing Pumps, Back flow Prevention Devices.

Some of the Plumbing Terminology is different over here as well.

Some helpful links

Plumbing Help |

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/wp-conten...acticeExam.pdf

http://www.plumbinghelp.ca/wp-conten...-Version-1.pdf

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/SOUR...acticeExam.pdf

https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/SOUR..._answerkey.pdf

For my Gas B Ticket, I went to night school for 3 months. You can only enrol in night school if you have a Red Seal Piping trades ticket . BC Gas Exam is 3hrs long with 150 Questions. Im sure you must be able to challenge the gas exam as well. But I had a English guy and a Irish Guy in my class that had Gas Tickets from back home and they said it was completely different to back home and were glad they signed up to do the night school course.

I found work really easy in BC without having my Read Seal Plumbing Ticket, but I stated earlier I was already here which is a big difference. However I was paid an apprentice wage $22hr, till I proved myself my wages went up a little bit. Once I got my ticket, I got a Journeyman's wage.

Best of luck.

Last edited by MrHyperPants; Jan 12th 2017 at 7:37 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys,

We contacted the Halifax training authority and they advised that the wont even start the process whilst we are in the UK so we decided to look at Ontario as they seem to allow you to do your trade equivalency assessment from here and then just arrange to go over and sit exam.

However, we have a few questions about the process and cant seem to find the answers. Firstly, they only say plumbers on the Ontario collage of trades website would OH need to sit that exam first then gas fitter after because his main experience in is gas fitting and although he has done general plumbing over the years he mainly fits central heating systems?

Secondly, where it states the evidence you need to supply it says you need to include a competency Analysis Profile CAP signed off by a jouneyperson, When we have looked at the CAP for plumbers my OH doesn't have experience in some of the areas does anyone know if you need experience in everything in order for it to be signed off?

Lastly, as he is self employed it askes for a detailed resume of completed jobs including job and customer details. Would he need to supply a list of everyone he has done work for or can he supply a sample? He subcontracts to someone for all his work so could he just get a reference from this person?

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2017, 9:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

For Ontario and gas fiitter you need to look at the TSSA website, gas fitters are called gas technicians and there are three levels, 3 being the entry level and 2 the most usual.

My husband went on intensive college courses while here to retrain and study for both levels. He previously had CORGI certification and several tears exoerience.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
For Ontario and gas fiitter you need to look at the TSSA website, gas fitters are called gas technicians and there are three levels, 3 being the entry level and 2 the most usual.

My husband went on intensive college courses while here to retrain and study for both levels. He previously had CORGI certification and several tears exoerience.
Thanks Bats, Do you have to get certificate of qualification in plumbing from collage of trades first then?

From the look of things we are going to need an LMIA job offer to come out so need to get what ever qualifications he needs in order to get job offer.
Thanks
Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

From the look of things we are going to need an LMIA job offer to come out so need to get what ever qualifications he needs in order to get job offer.
Don't give up on the IEC plan, you should get an invite given the numbers left, the odds are definitely in your favour. That would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to find an employer to sponsor a LMIA!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Don't give up on the IEC plan, you should get an invite given the numbers left, the odds are definitely in your favour. That would be a heck of a lot easier than trying to find an employer to sponsor a LMIA!
I'd love to go on IEC but still no invite and chances on website say very low now so not holding much hope ☹️️
Old Jan 30th 2017, 12:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I'd love to go on IEC but still no invite and chances on website say very low now so not holding much hope ☹️️
Gosh, I thought you applied ages ago when chances were excellent? Must have got that wrong, they've certainly had a rush of applications recently. Still, fingers crossed, you never know..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.