Reload this Page >

Red Seal Exam Electrician

Red Seal Exam Electrician

Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

grahamm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red Seal Exam Electrician

Hello,

I have just moved to Saskatoon and have to pass my red seal exam (electrician). I have bought the Canadian electrical code book 2006 edition. Is there any study guides for past exams that I can study with and any recommended courses at night school to get back in the studying way of things. I've heard that the exam is tough and would like all the study aids to pass it first time.

Thanks for reading this.

Graham
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

zerocool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Red Seal Exam Electrician

hi i cant help on your question lol but was hoping that you can help me im an electrician looking on moving to canada. what tests would i have to sit i know about the red seal one how hard is this? whats after this?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

grahamm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I went through the PNP to get into Canada and employed an agency to find me a job. All I had to do was prove the amount of hours experience I had from previous employers in Scotland signed and complete with references. The apprentice board then approve your experience, or not. Then I was put forward to immigration who then approved me. Now I have arrived I have to pass the red seal exam within 6 months. Passing this exam enables you to work anywhere in Canada. My first day at work is tomorrow.

Hope this helps

Graham
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

janeymay will become famous soon enoughjaneymay will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by grahamm
Hello,

I have just moved to Saskatoon and have to pass my red seal exam (electrician). I have bought the Canadian electrical code book 2006 edition. Is there any study guides for past exams that I can study with and any recommended courses at night school to get back in the studying way of things. I've heard that the exam is tough and would like all the study aids to pass it first time.

Thanks for reading this.

Graham
Hi grahamm

First of all congrats on moving to Canada. Hopefully we will be there very soon.

We have just arrived back yesterday from 1 month in Ontario where my husband wrote the red seal for Construction and Maintenance, thankfully he has passed on the 2nd attempt as we allowed enough time to write it twice just in case he failed the first attempt (a good job we did) as you have to wait 15 days to re-sit. But he made it 2nd time round.

He studied for 3 months with 2006 code book and a cd-rom ESAT (Electricians Self Assessment Tool) which he was doing exceptionaly well with, but when it came to writing the exam it was nothing he was expecting and thought he had the wrong papers as nothing seemed to tally up with disc, he came out very disappointed and thought that he was lucky to get 40% as it was he got an unlucky 69%, 1 point off passing (needing 70% to pass), although was gutted was pleased also due to him thinking he got no where near that so it prooved that he was some where like, he resat and got a completely different exam and again it was mind boggling but felt a bit more confident when he came out although not confident enough to think he had passed, but thank god he scraped through with 70% but all said and done no matter how you look at it whether you got 70% or 100% it is still and pass and is now a qualified canadian electrician.

My advise to you is if you can get hold of different papers then study all of them but never take them for granted and the main key is being able to work the code book.

Good Luck and hope you succeed.

Janeymay
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by zerocool
hi i cant help on your question lol but was hoping that you can help me im an electrician looking on moving to canada. what tests would i have to sit i know about the red seal one how hard is this? whats after this?
Hi Zerocool

My hubby is an electrician and has passed his Red Seal in Alberta and is now a licensed electrician and working for a firm in Calgary. Have you approved to write yet? If not, here is a little piece of information for you. Firstly, you have to prove 8775 hours and 72 months of hands on work experience in the trade and this does not include anytime spent on apprenticeship or foreman duties. You also have to have these hours verified by previous employers as AIT do check. Once that is all in place then it would be advisable to invest in the 2006 Electrical Code Book and the ESAT CD as this CD really helps you find the sections in the book which is vital to the exam. As a lot of time can be spent on finding the sections so it would be a really good idea to memorise them off pat. Also my hubby found there were quite a few questions on motors and calculations on tables etc. If you have any more questions and would like some guidance you are very welcome to PM me.

All the best and good luck

Rachel