Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Red Seal Exam for Construction & Maintenance Electrician in Ontario?

Red Seal Exam for Construction & Maintenance Electrician in Ontario?

Old Jul 31st 2008, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

janeymay will become famous soon enoughjaneymay will become famous soon enough
Default Red Seal Exam for Construction & Maintenance Electrician in Ontario?

Hi to everybody

My OH is qualified to write the Red Seal IP exam for Construction and Maintenance 309a and is studying really hard, although getting there he is still finding it a real challenge, he is using the 2006 electrical code book and the ESAT self assessment tool cd-rom.

We are flying out to Toronto in September to do this, but can anybody enlighten us in what the exam is like and how easy/hard it was.

Is there much difference between Industrial and Construction exams?

Anybody that has sat the Ontario exam that could give us some insight to the exam would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any guidance
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:07 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Red Seal Exam for Construction & Maintenance Electrician in Ontario?

Originally Posted by janeymay
Hi to everybody

My OH is qualified to write the Red Seal IP exam for Construction and Maintenance 309a and is studying really hard, although getting there he is still finding it a real challenge, he is using the 2006 electrical code book and the ESAT self assessment tool cd-rom.

We are flying out to Toronto in September to do this, but can anybody enlighten us in what the exam is like and how easy/hard it was.

Is there much difference between Industrial and Construction exams?

Anybody that has sat the Ontario exam that could give us some insight to the exam would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any guidance
I didnt dind it that difficult, I used the book CSA CD to help and did an 8 week x 1 eve refresher course and didnt find any probs. Its a lot harder than the 16th edition but then so is tying your shoes.

Best advice do the sample tests on the CD a lot they really help!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Red Seal Exam for Construction & Maintenance Electrician in Ontario?

Hello again,
The only catch in passing IP test in Ontario is that after two years or so you will need to reapply ($$$ fee) for a replacement certificate as they are issued with an expires by date.
Alberta doesn't do this and the certificate is good for life, if you intend to settle in Alberta I believe that the certificate can be exchanged for an Albertan version.
ESAT CD is very useful to gage your readiness for the exam and does help with the more obscure questions that may come up. Take about 10% off what you average using the CD this will give a good indication of what you should achieve in the exam. I averaged 85% using the CD and passed the exam with 75%, although I did revise using the 2002 version and was shocked & horrified to be given the 2006 test.
Unless things have changed you have 4 hours and 100 multi-choice questions, time is of the essence and you will need to form a strategy to make best use of your limited time (i.e. leave the complicated ones till last).
A lot of the Canadian sparks find this test harder than the TQ exam, so just make sure that your prepared and can thumb through the code book with ease.
Good Luck
Thomas
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikey B
I didnt dind it that difficult, I used the book CSA CD to help and did an 8 week x 1 eve refresher course and didnt find any probs. Its a lot harder than the 16th edition but then so is tying your shoes.

Best advice do the sample tests on the CD a lot they really help!
Hi Mikey B

Thanks for your reply, my husband is using the CSA 2006 book and cd and is studying every night after work, which he is dedicated to, but at the moment he feels he is going a bit backwards with this, but he has only been doing it for about 3-4 weeks so maybe it gets harder berfore it gets easier (i hope) anyway.

The questions in the ontario exam are they similar that are on the cd, or is he to expect some different ones, also are there many motor questions as he is finding these more difficult. We have another 7 weeks before we go out so i suppose he still has plenty of time but he gets a bit dis-heartened when he doesnt do very well, on average he is getting about 13-15 questions right out of 20 in the sections. I think when you know that our future is all on the pass of exam the pressure is on.

Did you pass first time and what score did you get, if you have any other advise or remember anything about the exam we would be greatly appreciative in any in sight.

Thanks and bye for now, if you prefer you can PM me

Janeymay
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Hello again,
The only catch in passing IP test in Ontario is that after two years or so you will need to reapply ($$$ fee) for a replacement certificate as they are issued with an expires by date.
Alberta doesn't do this and the certificate is good for life, if you intend to settle in Alberta I believe that the certificate can be exchanged for an Albertan version.
ESAT CD is very useful to gage your readiness for the exam and does help with the more obscure questions that may come up. Take about 10% off what you average using the CD this will give a good indication of what you should achieve in the exam. I averaged 85% using the CD and passed the exam with 75%, although I did revise using the 2002 version and was shocked & horrified to be given the 2006 test.
Unless things have changed you have 4 hours and 100 multi-choice questions, time is of the essence and you will need to form a strategy to make best use of your limited time (i.e. leave the complicated ones till last).
A lot of the Canadian sparks find this test harder than the TQ exam, so just make sure that your prepared and can thumb through the code book with ease.
Good Luck
Thomas

Hi Thomas

Once again thank you for your input, the reason why we are going to Ontario is that is where he was qualified.

Is there any hidden things that we perhaps would need to know, i.e. questions that are not in the book, do you have an easy way of getting to know the book, and do you also know if there are many motor questions in the ontario exam as he is finding these more difficult.

The pressure is on as we know that this is the ticket to our future.

If i think of anything else hope you dont mind me asking or visa versa if you think of any other advise then greatly appreciated.

Bye for now

Janeymay
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:10 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by janeymay
Hi Mikey B

Thanks for your reply, my husband is using the CSA 2006 book and cd and is studying every night after work, which he is dedicated to, but at the moment he feels he is going a bit backwards with this, but he has only been doing it for about 3-4 weeks so maybe it gets harder berfore it gets easier (i hope) anyway.

The questions in the ontario exam are they similar that are on the cd, or is he to expect some different ones, also are there many motor questions as he is finding these more difficult. We have another 7 weeks before we go out so i suppose he still has plenty of time but he gets a bit dis-heartened when he doesnt do very well, on average he is getting about 13-15 questions right out of 20 in the sections. I think when you know that our future is all on the pass of exam the pressure is on.

Did you pass first time and what score did you get, if you have any other advise or remember anything about the exam we would be greatly appreciative in any in sight.

Thanks and bye for now, if you prefer you can PM me

Janeymay
Yes they were pretty similar and yes I passed 1st time - I got 93%. Its 75 to pass I beleive. There were a few motor questions but not an excessive amount.

Honestly no need to get stressed he should be fine, your allowed I think 1 or 2 re-takes if you dont pass too so at least then if worst case happens he knows what he faces.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

liang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

i am going to take that exam in August, i am in BC, and i am looking for any reading material, i noticed you guys metioned Electrical Code and CD ,what 's that CD , where can i get that CD? thanks
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liang
Hi everyone,

i am going to take that exam in August, i am in BC, and i am looking for any reading material, i noticed you guys metioned Electrical Code and CD ,what 's that CD , where can i get that CD? thanks
Hi Liang

The book you require is Electrical Code book 2006 but now see that they have brought a new edition out Elecrical Code Book 2009, and the cd is called ESAT (Electricians Self Assessment Tool) which can be purchase from www.csa.ca. The cd is more for helping you learn to work the book and solve and answer questions, make sure you get to know the code book as the cd is only there for that reason and dont expect the exam to be like the cd as it is certainly not to my OH surprise. The exam is very hard so do lots of studying, its hard but worth it in the end, my OH failed the first exam but passed on 2nd attempt.

Good Luck for your exam and hope you do well.

Janeymay