Red seal exam

Old Oct 24th 2018, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Kellyjane85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Red seal exam

hi we are doing the express visa and have been told that my partner needs to do the red seal exam in Canada which is fine.

our issue is that he has never worked in Canada before so he’s worried he will not pass the exam as he doesn’t no the laws has anyone done this exam before who could give us a bit more information?

thanks in advance
Old Oct 24th 2018, 6:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Red seal exam

Originally Posted by Kellyjane85
hi we are doing the express visa and have been told that my partner needs to do the red seal exam in Canada which is fine.

our issue is that he has never worked in Canada before so he’s worried he will not pass the exam as he doesn’t no the laws has anyone done this exam before who could give us a bit more information?

thanks in advance
Hello!

Express Entry is the program with many different routes within it, for Permanent Residence - it's not a visa.

Similarly there are many Red Seal Trade exams - but Red Seal is an endorsement on the Provincial Certification which is a requirement for many Regulated Trades. Which trade is he in? Presumably you want to ascertain the requirements for Alberta.... Whether he can challenge the Provincial Certification for his trade will depend on the amount of experience he has - he will need around 9000 hours for most regulated trades.
https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/experiencedworkers/
Old Oct 24th 2018, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your response we have applied for permenant residence and we have passed the first part my partner is a heating gas engineer / plumber and has 17 years Experiance in the trade,

What I want to know is the exam different for a British citizen then a Canadian citizen? Would the written exam paper be different for someone who’s never worked in Canada then someone who has?

thank you
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response we have applied for permenant residence and we have passed the first part my partner is a heating gas engineer / plumber and has 17 years Experiance in the trade,

What I want to know is the exam different for a British citizen then a Canadian citizen? Would the written exam paper be different for someone who’s never worked in Canada then someone who has?

thank you
He will need to sit two exams, the safety authority for the gas ticket and the inter provincial exam for plumbing. He would have to prove the required experience, then challenge the exams. If he also does electrical as part of his job, that is another exam. The exams are the same for everyone. The whole point is to test someones understanding of the codes and regulations in Canada. He would be advised to study before taking the exams. The provincial certification bodies will be able to help.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
No, the exam is the same no matter where he's from . Why would it be different for British than Canadian? He's going to work in Canada, right? So he's going to need to know Canadian standards . You can order study materials through the College of the Rockies or Centennial College (both $$$$) and do practice exams online.

​​​​​My partner is a diesel mechanic with almost 40 years experience and he said that the exam is not something you go into without study. He failed by 4 the first time around, so we're going back to Canada next week to sit it again.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 10:01 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is a Vehicle mechanic (cars/trucks). He failed the 1st time by 2. When he turned up to take the exam (as advised to see what he would have to brush up on) 1st time around he was given a 3 month work permit, even though we weren't planning on moving just yet. He then had 3 months in which to pass the exam. That entailed coming home, handing his notice in, working his notice and getting back to he could learn a bit on the job (He had a job to go to already) - Canadian terminololgy etc. In the meantime our house was put on the market and I followed several weeks later with our daughter. So if your OH can get some studying in, I would advise it wholeheartedly.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 10:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

thank you
Sorry, I'm confused - what do you mean by 'we've passed the first part'? Your husband would need the Certificate of Qualification OR a qualifying job offer to start the application.
Express Entry (Trades) requires you to apply to the pool and then have sufficient points to be invited from the pool to apply for Permanent Residence.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ed-trades.html

Yes, as others have said, the exams are the same.. do look at the link I gave to Alberta Trade Secrets - it will give you the information you need of what your husband will need to do to apply and challenge ...

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 24th 2018 at 10:36 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 4:57 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The provincial certification bodies will be able to help.
The ITA in BC are pretty useless. Took me forever to get the right info.

I asked the ITA where I could get study material from, they told me to speak to a college. I spoke to BCIT, and they told me to speak to the ITA . Constantly went around in circles. Eventually figured out you can only get study material if you take a course at a college, which they hand out in class.

​​

​​
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
The ITA in BC are pretty useless. Took me forever to get the right info.

I asked the ITA where I could get study material from, they told me to speak to a college. I spoke to BCIT, and they told me to speak to the ITA . Constantly went around in circles. Eventually figured out you can only get study material if you take a course at a college, which they hand out in class.

​​

​​
We looked online for study materials and bought thebooks from College of the Rockies in Kamloops. The bookstore does online as well as in person. Same as Centennial in Toronto .
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband would be better off challenging the interprovincial red seal plumbing exam. Then go do night school for 12 weeks and sit the gas b ticket exam for the province you decide to live in.

I would recommend taking a plumbing job at a lower wage and get up to speed on how it's done here, wouldn't hurt to do a refresher course on plumbing as well. Terminology is different and some things are done differently.

The plumbing exam is 4hrs and 125 questions.

The BC Gas B ticket exam is 3hrs 150 questions.

No mock questions as it's all kept secret. Only mock questions you will find are from what people remembered from the exams.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We looked online for study materials and bought thebooks from College of the Rockies in Kamloops. The bookstore does online as well as in person. Same as Centennial in Toronto .
Believe me I looked online, called colleges, spoke to people in the plumbing departments at colleges. Asked plumbers I worked with. No one seemed to have a answer. Which I founsd baffling. You would thing an apprentice that goes to college would know where they got their school notes from. Oh that's right it's handed out to you in class. Yet they couldn't tell me that.

I ended up doing a plumbing refresher course at BCIT in Vancouver online. Then once I got my red seal i was allowed to take the gas b ticket night school classes. Once I completed the gas classes I was allowed to sit the BC gas b ticket exam.

This was 4 years ago. So things may have changed. But it's still tight lipped on what is in the exams

Last edited by MrHyperPants; Oct 25th 2018 at 5:23 am.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
No, the exam is the same no matter where he's from . Why would it be different for British than Canadian? He's going to work in Canada, right? So he's going to need to know Canadian standards . You can order study materials through the College of the Rockies or Centennial College (both $$$$) and do practice exams online.

​​​​​My partner is a diesel mechanic with almost 40 years experience and he said that the exam is not something you go into without study. He failed by 4 the first time around, so we're going back to Canada next week to sit it again.
I was just asking the question because our friend who lives in Canada has only just done his and he is a Canadian Citizen - he was confused as to why my partner had to do it but i have done alot of research on it and we have more of an understanding now.

Hope your husband passes his next exam Good Luck
Old Oct 25th 2018, 12:28 pm
Still alive

I was just asking the question because our friend who lives in Canada has only just done his and he is a Canadian Citizen - he was confused as to why my partner had to do it but i have done alot of research on it and we have more of an understanding now.

Hope your husband passes his next exam Good Luck
Thanks. Best of luck to your husband too.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrHyperPants
Your husband would be better off challenging the interprovincial red seal plumbing exam..
I've seen this expression a few times now. Challenging an exam. What does that mean, taking an exam? It's just that challenging something usually means to take issue with. In the case of an exam it sounds like taking the exam and disagreeing with the marks.

Someone please enlighten me.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've seen this expression a few times now. Challenging an exam. What does that mean, taking an exam?
It is a commonly used expression for taking an exam on the merits of experience, rather than undertaking a usual course of education first.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 25th 2018 at 5:13 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.