British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Red Deer Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/red-deer-alberta-741038/)

Law-Burnett Family Dec 5th 2011 9:09 am

Red Deer Alberta

As with any city anywhere there are some areas nicer than others to live in, can anyone tell us where in red deer with a young family is a nice area to live

Piff Poff Dec 5th 2011 12:20 pm

Re: Red Deer Alberta

Do you want an older more established area with bigger gardens and grown up trees or a new baby trees and concrete type area (new house or old house).

I have lived here for just over 6 years and love Red Deer. I would not want to live in Highland Green or down town - although the Waskasoo area is lovely as are some of the older (original) bits by the river.

There are nicer parts in all the subdivisions, some subdivisions have a general higher re sell value than others, for no apparent reason. General rule of thumb - South of the River. There has been major development in the city in the last 6 years, so lots and lots of brand new houses all over the place. We started off in a newer subdivision but didn't like the closed in with all the neighbours watching you feeling so moved on to a older subdivision within a year.

I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid (now 16) to any of the schools in town so that shouldn't be an issue. My immediate suggestion for you though would be to look at Deer Park and Lancaster subdivisions and Mattie McCullogh elementry school, depending on the age of your kids if they are fairly new to school I would look into French Immersion, had my daughter been any younger when we first moved I would have wanted her to do this option.

HTH

Law-Burnett Family Dec 5th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 9772314)
Do you want an older more established area with bigger gardens and grown up trees or a new baby trees and concrete type area (new house or old house).

I have lived here for just over 6 years and love Red Deer. I would not want to live in Highland Green or down town - although the Waskasoo area is lovely as are some of the older (original) bits by the river.

There are nicer parts in all the subdivisions, some subdivisions have a general higher re sell value than others, for no apparent reason. General rule of thumb - South of the River. There has been major development in the city in the last 6 years, so lots and lots of brand new houses all over the place. We started off in a newer subdivision but didn't like the closed in with all the neighbours watching you feeling so moved on to a older subdivision within a year.

I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid (now 16) to any of the schools in town so that shouldn't be an issue. My immediate suggestion for you though would be to look at Deer Park and Lancaster subdivisions and Mattie McCullogh elementry school, depending on the age of your kids if they are fairly new to school I would look into French Immersion, had my daughter been any younger when we first moved I would have wanted her to do this option.

HTH

thank you for the reply its a great help:thumbup: also do you know what kind of monthly repayments we would have on a $100,000 mortgage

christmasoompa Dec 5th 2011 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by Law-Burnett Family (Post 9773094)
thank you for the reply its a great help:thumbup: also do you know what kind of monthly repayments we would have on a $100,000 mortgage

I thought the Wiki article about mortgages had a link to a calculator, or is it not working? I'll try and fix it if so.

Mad Jockette Dec 5th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Law-Burnett Family (Post 9772049)
As with any city anywhere there are some areas nicer than others to live in, can anyone tell us where in red deer with a young family is a nice area to live

Hi
I lived in the north end of Red Deer for 7 months, albeit in a condo, but the area was quite nice. I have a few friends who live in the North and South of Red Deer both equally liking where they live.
I can't give you any info on schools as our kids are grown up and didn't come to Canada with us.

Maybe best to rent somewhere before you buy. As Piff Poff said about the suddivisons and the closeness of the houses in the newer areas was also not for us. But each to their own, so to speak.

Good luck with the move and hope all goes well for you
:)

Piff Poff Dec 6th 2011 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette (Post 9773144)
Hi
I lived in the north end of Red Deer for 7 months, albeit in a condo, but the area was quite nice. I have a few friends who live in the North and South of Red Deer both equally liking where they live.
I can't give you any info on schools as our kids are grown up and didn't come to Canada with us.

Maybe best to rent somewhere before you buy. As Piff Poff said about the suddivisons and the closeness of the houses in the newer areas was also not for us. But each to their own, so to speak.

Good luck with the move and hope all goes well for you

If I remember right, you were in Johnstone Crossing? in one of the newer bits? It's the older bits I'd be a little wary of as there tends to be lower income families - not that lower income families are bad don't get me wrong, but I think you know what I'm saying. (Normandeau, The Pines - although there are some stunning houses and views from The Pines and Glendale, wouldn't be 'up there' with places I'd pick BUT if a house with the right specs came along I would look at it seriously). I wouldn't look at Inglewood either, just don't like the feel of that subdivision - however OH almost put a offer in on a house there before the subdivision was finished - only one road had been built then.

Best thing to do is when you arrive look at as many houses and drive road as much as you can, it is always possible to send your child to school of choice (as long as there is availability) rather than catchement and that really isn't a problem in town as all the schools seem to be pretty good.

Law-Burnett Family Dec 6th 2011 2:05 am

morgage info

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9773107)
I thought the Wiki article about mortgages had a link to a calculator, or is it not working? I'll try and fix it if so.

as you can see i am kinda new to this and did not see above link :unsure:but now we are getting lots of progress:)many thanks for above advise:thumbup: still so many questions to ask so we hope they dont sound crazy to you folks

christmasoompa Dec 6th 2011 3:47 am

Re: morgage info

Originally Posted by Law-Burnett Family (Post 9773427)
as you can see i am kinda new to this and did not see above link :unsure:but now we are getting lots of progress:)

Good. If you've haven't read it already, the 'Newcomers to the Forum' sticky thread (link in my signature) will point you in the direction of stuff like the Wiki.

YoshiPal2010 Dec 6th 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 9773375)
It's the older bits I'd be a little wary of as there tends to be lower income families - not that lower income families are bad don't get me wrong, but I think you know what I'm saying.

Pray tell, what are you saying?

Mad Jockette Dec 6th 2011 3:31 pm

[QUOTE=Piff Poff;9773375]If I remember right, you were in Johnstone Crossing? in one of the newer bits?
I lived in Johnstone Park. As you know we looked at many houses in Red deer but, preferred the one we are in now in Sylvan Lake. Funny how things work out, on our recce, we decided we would NOT live in Sylvan Lake, yet here we are :)

Law-Burnett family
Look at as many house styles and types and areas that you can before making a final decision.
I spent my 7 months here on my own looking at houses with our realtor and on open house visits.
good luck:fingerscrossed:

Piff Poff Dec 6th 2011 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010 (Post 9774651)
Pray tell, what are you saying?

Lower income families do not have the spare income to update their homes and spend on their yards, homes tend to be smaller. I know, I used to be a low income single Mum, the last thing I would spend money on was pretty flowers...

Piff Poff Dec 6th 2011 3:38 pm

[QUOTE=Mad Jockette;9774859]

If I remember right, you were in Johnstone Crossing? in one of the newer bits?
I lived in Johnstone Park. As you know we looked at many houses in Red deer but, preferred the one we are in now in Sylvan Lake. Funny how things work out, on our recce, we decided we would NOT live in Sylvan Lake, yet here we are :)

Law-Burnett family
Look at as many house styles and types and areas that you can before making a final decision.
I spent my 7 months here on my own looking at houses with our realtor and on open house visits.

AND we're on our 4th house in 6 years:rofl:

YoshiPal2010 Dec 6th 2011 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 9774862)
Lower income families do not have the spare income to update their homes and spend on their yards, homes tend to be smaller. I know, I used to be a low income single Mum, the last thing I would spend money on was pretty flowers...

Fair do! Mind you, the idea that low income families live in smaller homes is a bit of a generalization. Our home is only 1200 sq ft. but we do earn around $140,000 per annum -- maybe you consider that low income -- so it could be that some smaller homes are owned by people who do not wish to have a 4 bed, 5-bath McMansion! On the other hand, my full-time cleaner at the school where I work, earns just over $18 per hour, and manages to pay for one of those McMansions (and she does have a rather nice yard -- and furniture!)

Law-Burnett Family Dec 6th 2011 10:45 pm

[QUOTE=Mad Jockette;9774859]

If I remember right, you were in Johnstone Crossing? in one of the newer bits?

Law-Burnett family

7 months:eek: must make sure we start early spring time then,sylvan lake thats a fairly short drive from red deer isnt it?

Mad Jockette Dec 7th 2011 1:25 am

[QUOTE=Law-Burnett Family;9775348]

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette (Post 9774859)

7 months:eek: must make sure we start early spring time then,sylvan lake thats a fairly short drive from red deer isnt it?

It is only 20 minutes drive from Sylvan Lake, where we live, to go into Red Deer. Like all places there are nice and not so nice areas, as with the old and new.

I was (and am ) very fussy, our friend and Realtor said at one point " why don't you go back to UK and let your hubby come across here, it would be easier to find you a house" :lol: Yes, he is still our friend and we got a lovely house ( we think it is):starsmile: