Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

dan09uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by el_richo
Out of curiosity, do you think you'd have the planning job if you weren't in Canada?
I would like to think so, I had made some good connections in both the private and public sector during my years at uni and had a few months experience in both.

I think luck plays a big part too, my interviews and tests for my current job went very well and they really wanted me.

I also had to overcome not being a PR/Canadian citizen as it was a government job.

Last edited by dan09uk; Jun 29th 2012 at 11:41 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:13 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan09uk
I am a planner, took me 2 years to get a planning job. I worked at staples for 9 months as a computer technician on just above minimum wage. I left there as it was going no where and interned full time unpaid for 6 months at a local municipality to get more Canadian planning experience.

During my internship I applied for a job with the bc ministry of transportation and infrastructure and got a job as a planning technician.

I am a recent graduate from the UK and was living in Toronto at the time I applied for that job, it is possible to get a job, just a lot harder than in the UK.
So, confirming the : its better to be here and you wil prob have a crap job first ! l
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

dan09uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
So, confirming the : its better to be here and you wil prob have a crap job first ! l
I think for me, its better in Canada!

Its not easy at first but it was worth it.

I now have a great job (I get paid more than I would in the same position in the UK even with the exchange rate) that I love and I live in a beautiful place were I can be in the mountains after work to go running, skiing or biking.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:31 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan09uk
I think for me, its better in Canada!

Its not easy at first but it was worth it.

I now have a great job (I get paid more than I would in the same position in the UK even with the exchange rate) that I love and I live in a beautiful place were I can be in the mountains after work to go running, skiing or biking.
I think she suggesting you think it's better to be looking for your job while in Canada rather than from the UK.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 1:38 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think she suggesting you think it's better to be looking for your job while in Canada rather than from the UK.
Yes that's what I was getting at!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:12 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I think that even in easier to get positions its almost vital to be in Canada to obtain them.
How can an employer seriously consider an employee whos not even here (unless they are some rare much in need scientist or similiar). The employer is taking a risk when taking on a new employee anyway, they would want to mitigate that risk as much as possible. If the potential employee is not even in the country then the employer knows that situations can arise and they may not even arrive, no matter how keen they seem.
Therefore that job is still not filled, they have taken it off the market and now they have to start again.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 7:41 pm
half a century

......... Waiting for the op ......
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

jennyj83 is an unknown quantity at this point

To the Original Poster:

Don't be put off by negativity, it's easy for people who have already made the jump/got their PR etc to shoot down your dreams.

If you're young (and childless I assume), put your stuff in storage, get a WHV, get over to BC and see what you can cobble together. Life is too short to never take risks.

As a Canadian I can tell you, it's a great country! Try not to have too specific a goal in mind, go with the flow and see what comes your way. If you have the skills/personality and mindset then who knows what could be in the horizon.

And if it all goes tits up, you've got good ol' Blighty to fall back on:-)

Best of luck!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:16 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennyj83
To the Original Poster:

Don't be put off by negativity, it's easy for people who have already made the jump/got their PR etc to shoot down your dreams.

If you're young (and childless I assume), put your stuff in storage, get a WHV, get over to BC and see what you can cobble together. Life is too short to never take risks.

As a Canadian I can tell you, it's a great country! Try not to have too specific a goal in mind, go with the flow and see what comes your way. If you have the skills/personality and mindset then who knows what could be in the horizon.

Best of luck!
I agree!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

um, no offence Jenny but that's pretty much what we all told him to do (WHV etc) And we got shot down, so yeah.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

jennyj83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Yeah, i think that's what happens when rose-tinted specs shatter
Really friendly!

I personally think CIC should have a personality test in use in a bid to preserve the friendly, helpful citizens that Canada is so famous for.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Really friendly!

I personally think CIC should have a personality test in use in a bid to preserve the friendly, helpful citizens that Canada is so famous for.
But the OP is a Brit so we are just addressing him as he should expect. I think the OP has been given lots of useful and usable advice on this thread (including yours). However, it seems he doesn't want the advice we have given. He wants someone to fix him up with a job.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:05 am
half a century

To the Original Poster:

Best of luck!
Ummm if you read all the posts you can see that WHIV was suggested but not considered acceptable.

I came on TWP .
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:06 am
half a century

Really friendly!

Truth is usually more helpful than platitudes .
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:50 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Really friendly!

I've never heard of that.

I thought Canada was mainly famous for being cold.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.