Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What happened here? I tried to post and couldn't as it was closed, now it is open again.
Brief moment of indecisiveness.

Any more name calling though, and it will be closed sharpish.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:46 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - wish I hadn't bothered! Best of luck in your job hunt - whatever career or non career path you end up taking to ensure your lifetime desire to be a Couv ite.

Kiwi, El R, oink and Jb - beers next week ?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:53 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Wow - wish I hadn't bothered! Best of luck in your job hunt - whatever career or non career path you end up taking to ensure your lifetime desire to be a Couv ite.

XO i'm in
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What happened here? I tried to post and couldn't as it was closed, now it is open again.

Newbies v. old timers is always going to end in tears
It shouldn't though! The people on this forum seem to think I'm ungrateful for their comments - I'm not at all... but I'd prefer it they had answered my question.

I expected a long list of people replying to say that they didn't know of any companies recruiting from overseas, and maybe 1 or 2 that said yes!

There was actually a few comments which I really took on board. This is such a great tool, but I don't want to get bogged down by people who want to use it to moan on or as a platform to preach.

I wanted help, and I really don't feel on the whole I got it. I would like a send out a big thank you to the few people who tried to genuinely help me.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure you've really understood the point of the replies you have received. I've just read back through the posts from start to finish and I think you have had as much advice as is available. You are very unlikely to secure a job - or even leads - in your field from a random post on this or any other forum. Just because you haven't heard what you perhaps wanted to hear doesn't mean the comments or advice aren't valid or true.

As an employer myself, I'm not sure I would hire you. Employment and life aren't about just hearing the things you want to hear. I'm British and living in Canada; I think a Canadian employer would be even less sympathetic. If you've just spent 2 weeks in Vancouver, perhaps you've got a brief taste of the humility that's required to get along here. An aggressive attitude will not work.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:52 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajster
It shouldn't though! The people on this forum seem to think I'm ungrateful for their comments - I'm not at all... but I'd prefer it they had answered my question.

I expected a long list of people replying to say that they didn't know of any companies recruiting from overseas, and maybe 1 or 2 that said yes!

There was actually a few comments which I really took on board. This is such a great tool, but I don't want to get bogged down by people who want to use it to moan on or as a platform to preach.

I wanted help, and I really don't feel on the whole I got it. I would like a send out a big thank you to the few people who tried to genuinely help me.
To be honest given the number of threads and questions asked on here if I don't know the answer or have any relevant experience relating to what's being asked I don't post. Otherwise you would end up on here all day posting stuff that is of no use . But that's just my view!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in for a quick one after work one day. We can't make the weekend as things are at the moment.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:54 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Oh darn. looks like I missed all the fun again
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry - you must have missed the points about my rose tinted glasses being shattered, denial being a river in Egypt? and that we may as well not bother if we're planners!
I guess you'll find out in the fullness of time!
Old Jun 28th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of lightElizabeth I is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, you really are nasty bunch of folks on this forum. Thank God the other expat forums are not like this, despite them being smaller.

If I could bring your attention back to my original post - I asked people if they knew any companies who were recruiting from overseas. I'm not actually too sure if anyone gave me the answer to that.

Once again, I'm aware of all my imigration options.

For thoses of you who are actually interested, both my partner and I have had some interviews via skype/phone since my first post and both in our desired roles!

We've just recently come back from 2 weeks in Vancouver and shall be heading off again soon.

Doubt i'll be seeing if anyone on here wants to meet up for a beer to be honest!

I'll meet you for a beer!

Take no notice of the cynical "we know better than you" mantra. I've been on here for years and it always ends up the same way. Take what you read with a pinch of salt, especially when it involves immigration issues and personal experiences (every situation varies, there is no 'one size fits all' and you might succeed where others have failed).

Just keep positive and focused on your goal.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:07 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I

Take no notice of the cynical "we know better than you" mantra. I've been on here for years and it always ends up the same way. Take what you read with a pinch of salt, especially when it involves immigration issues and personal experiences (every situation varies, there is no 'one size fits all' and you might succeed where others have failed).

Hmm I think I was balanced - it didnt work out for me BUT as I said they may be younger, diff skill set etc .. So they ma fare differntly !
Old Jun 29th 2012, 12:09 am
half a century

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I

Hmm I think I was balanced - it didnt work out for me BUT as I said they may be younger, diff skill set etc .. So they ma fare differntly !

We can only tell what has happened in our situations .... But not heard from may planners that successfully broke thru ... Where are they hiding?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Heres the thing...
You need to be here on a WHV or at least come ober for a few month recce to network.
I know of a very big project here in BC that is going to be a global leader, however im aware that recruiting is done through recccomendations and very rarely advertised, so unless i met you at an event i wouldnt say call so and so and tell him Steve told you about the planning jobs.
When i came over i read about networking and thought it cant be so different to the uk, but it is, i habe done more deals, met more people and had more great advice in the last few months of attending events that the past 10 years in the uk.
People are friendly and willing to help, but you have to take the leap of faith and be here for them to help you.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:39 am
half a century

If you look at our resumes - neither of us can be classed as low-skilled. Not even in the eyes of Canadian authorities.

Yep, we're both under 30 - but seems the govt are getting more strict on applying for a second year extension, so a little concerned over getting kicked out after 12 months - we're talking moving our life rather a year or two out.

I'm surprised that you said that about urban planning - we've met with City Hall a few times that think there is some exciting stuff ahead for Vancouver. Whilst Mark is an Urban planner in the UK, he's qualified in other aspects. Translink like planners, but refuse to recruit from overseas, even when they are stuck!

http://www.andrewwillis.co.uk/

hmm - no post secondary education? Even a basic degree is often not enough to secure a job here . . .
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:05 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.andrewwillis.co.uk/

hmm - no post secondary education? Even a basic degree is often not enough to secure a job here . . .
You cannot even get a job pumping gas without a high school diploma. What surprised me when I moved here, was that employers wanted to know what your degree was, not if you had one.

Also, how one sees one self, highly skilled or not is immaterial, it is how those who influence your future see you. Arrogance goes nowhere here either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.