Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

I agree about the chance of getting a job as an urban planner. It is somewhere between slim and none.

However, logistics is a big business in Vancouver. Vancouver is the largest port in Canada and the fourth largest in North America. It is a distribution hub to eastern Canada and western USA and the point of export of Canadian goods and resources to Asia. There is certainly some opportunity here.

Two things to keep in mind:

1) Generally, companies will not recruit overseas unless they are desperate. Personal contact is a central part of the recruitment process. Someone they can sit down and chat to, and who has some work and personal referees the employer can chat to, has a huge advantage over a faceless person on the end of an email.

Because of this I agree with others above that you should consider the WHV if your occupation is not on the new FSW 1 list from July 1. A year is a long time to find a job and, if you have anything about you, to persuade an employer to sponsor you for a TWP then PR or for the PNP.

2) I see that you have experience in process improvement. Great, and if you have verifiable and quantifiable examples to show potential employers all the better. However, be aware that despite our similarities there are countless subtle cultural differences in the workplace. Make sure you take the time to understand them and make sure you know why things are done the way they are done before you start shaking things up.

As you will know, successful change management is about communication and persuasion. If you go at it with an attitude of "I'll whip these backward colonials into shape by making them operate in the advanced way we do in the UK" you will quickly find your employment is "not working out."
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:41 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajster
You come on a WHV - don't get sponsored and then get kicked out. That's why.
I'd come on the WHV. It is easily your best chance and fastest option.

There is two of you in different fields. Only one of you need achieve an employer who wants to get you a work permit and you are both good to stay. Once you have the work permit you can move towards PR easily.

If you are not on the list you are done and if you are you will still more than likely get stuck in a lengthy process.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Ajster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant futureAjster has a brilliant future

Thanks all for your responses, it's nice to know that people do read the forum.

Just so that I'm clear, we're aware of all of our options to come into Canada. We've spent a long time doing research, both in and out of Canada and with the help of a lot of experienced registered Canadian emigration consultants. Before any of you jump in - we've not paid for this advice, as we know we could get it for free.

I'm cautious of the WHV for a number of reasons:

1) Employers are nervous when they find out that you are on a WHV initially - as they think they will train you up for you to bugger off a year or two later. Because of this, they don't tend to recruit the kind of jobs that I want, thus giving me no opportunity to get a sponsor for a longer work permit, pr or pnp.

2) Canada protects it's self - I have 3 friends who have had to leave after the expiration of their WHV, and one who got work permit for 1 year after his WHV which wasn't renewed - that means no further entry into Canada for 4 years.

3) I'm moving my life - house, belongings, the cat - everything. We know we like Canada, we know we fit in, we know that it's Vancouver we want to live in, despite the rest of Canada being beautiful! We know it's going tp be hard and we know it can take time - but we know we have to do it properly.

Re comment about bulldozing people into the British way of working: That's exactly what we're trying to escape. Urgent in Canada means get it done by the end of the week, not by 5pm, working through your lunch and getting clinically stressed like we do in the UK.

The Canadian work ethic is amazing - work hard, be rewarded - enjoy life.

There are no rose tinted glasses here, work is work whatever country you live in.

Keep the comments coming guys - and if possible, refer back to my initial post - if anyone knows of any recruiters that are considering hiring with an LMO, get in touch.

Thanks all

A
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your concerns, and I'm not sure that I would have been brave enough to pack up, lock stock and barrel, and move to Canada if I did not have the certainty of PR at the time.

However, I have been here a number of years so I know how important inter-personal relationships are in business. I honestly believe that this is your best chance to secure the kind of work you want. Don't expect to be hired with a view to being trained into a role. You will get hired if you have skills that are valuable to the employer right now. This is true whether or not you are here on a WHV or applying from the UK.

If the WHV is not an option then read the wiki articles on job hunting. Here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_is_different!!! and here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...uctions-Canada to start with. You can establish relationships form the UK but it is more difficult. LinkedIn is also worthwhile. Plan or making some visits for formal and informal interviews.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your responses, it's nice to know that people do read the forum.

Just so that I'm clear, we're aware of all of our options to come into Canada. We've spent a long time doing research, both in and out of Canada and with the help of a lot of experienced registered Canadian emigration consultants. Before any of you jump in - we've not paid for this advice, as we know we could get it for free.

I'm cautious of the WHV for a number of reasons:

1) Employers are nervous when they find out that you are on a WHV initially - as they think they will train you up for you to bugger off a year or two later. Because of this, they don't tend to recruit the kind of jobs that I want, thus giving me no opportunity to get a sponsor for a longer work permit, pr or pnp.

2) Canada protects it's self - I have 3 friends who have had to leave after the expiration of their WHV, and one who got work permit for 1 year after his WHV which wasn't renewed - that means no further entry into Canada for 4 years.

3) I'm moving my life - house, belongings, the cat - everything. We know we like Canada, we know we fit in, we know that it's Vancouver we want to live in, despite the rest of Canada being beautiful! We know it's going tp be hard and we know it can take time - but we know we have to do it properly.

Re comment about bulldozing people into the British way of working: That's exactly what we're trying to escape. Urgent in Canada means get it done by the end of the week, not by 5pm, working through your lunch and getting clinically stressed like we do in the UK.

There are no rose tinted glasses here, work is work whatever country you live in.

Keep the comments coming guys - and if possible, refer back to my initial post - if anyone knows of any recruiters that are considering hiring with an LMO, get in touch.

Thanks all

A
We've obviously seen a different work ethic and working practice than each other in Vancouver

I would wager the roles you're not willing to do are the ones offering LMO.

It's a very closeted envirinment here so to be successful in the most part, you really need to be here. The WHV gives you that opportunity. At least that way you can work freely unlike if you were on a temporary visa.

Emigrating is always a risk. Whether you come on a 2yr TWP or a 1yr WHV, you'll not know if it'll work until you jump in.

Good luck, and clean those glasses of yours

I don't know recruiters I'm afraid. I think planning work is out so concentrate on building contacts in logistics etc.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

My boyfriend came out here on a WHV, and his employer had no qualms whatsoever about keeping him. He was also on the original version with only one year.

He's now going the PNP route and all is good. Obviously every situation is different, but as a recruiter I have seen lots of companies sponsor people to stay here.

If you really want to come out here, WHV is the best way.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:34 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
My boyfriend came out here on a WHV, and his employer had no qualms whatsoever about keeping him. He was also on the original version with only one year.

He's now going the PNP route and all is good. Obviously every situation is different, but as a recruiter I have seen lots of companies sponsor people to stay here.

If you really want to come out here, WHV is the best way.
Agreed - one of my coworkers came on a WHV and is being sponsored for PR by our company.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 1:57 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

TRe comment about bulldozing people into the British way of working: That's exactly what we're trying to escape. Urgent in Canada means get it done by the end of the week, not by 5pm, working through your lunch and getting clinically stressed like we do in the UK.

And Denial is a river in Egypt. I, and others, have different experiences of the Canadian work ethic. Life is much the same workwise for me than it was in the UK. I've experienced as much stress working here as there. Outside of government and heavily unionised positions, the work ethic is about working and getting the job done. Rewards are on a par or less financially and of course you get to enjoy life during the 2-3 weeks vacation as opposed to trying to stretch that enjoyment across the 5 weeks in the UK.

One of you works in logistics? That's part of what I do, at Director level in Canada. Getting it done by the end of the week tends not to work so well when you are talking about fulfilling customer orders. Getting it done today is the norm. Of course, geographically I'm closer to UK than I am to Vancouver so maybe on the west coast, it's all a bit more relaxed. But I doubt it.

I genuinely wish you the best in your quest to move to Vancouver. But you come across as very much wearing a pair of rose tinted glasses I'm afraid.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jun 23rd 2012 at 2:37 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:30 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think the West coast is perhaps a little more relaxed than Toronto and the East in general. My day to day experience is really only of the West coast so it's a bit difficult to make comparrisons. I certainly find "doing business" here can be frustration at times. Some companies and individuals within those companies can be highly professional and efficient - but there are a lot more that adopt what is called "Island Time"!

Saying that, if you are one of the group who is prepared to be professional and work hard, it isn't difficult to stand out or be noticed - and so get on well in business.

Just as an asside, is your profession one that is currently on the list for FSW status?
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:30 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Urban planning - pfft ! Came over in 2008 am RTPI and PIBC on TWP on husbands job. Worked in Local Govnt in Uk from 89 to 2008 - team leader mud management etc....,,
Hmmm now I wear Lycra and work at the gym

Oh not for lack of trying, interviewing, volunteering, committee work etc.
Sorry you don't have Canadian experience.... Ok I will apply for the more junior roles ...... Sorry you are over qualified!

It's not as tho I don't know all the COV planners etc due to hubby's job!

Hey ho maybe you will get in as you are prob not as old and therefore less experienced .... I dunno .

But tbh I don't have to work or need the hassle of a full time job so am happy prancing on lycra and making people sweat, which I must be good at as I have just been nominated as BCs Group Ex Instructor of the Year!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 2:33 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Not really no... They need planners, but can't find good enough ones from Canada.

Should we already be in Canada, then Mark would likely have a chance. More of a corporate decision to only recruit from within Canada, or those who have PR.
Don't count on that - translunar wanted my OH - even with PR politics made it. V v v tough call.
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 4:01 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Another ex-uk planner here! I got myself a job in a rural municipality in Alberta pretty much as soon as I got a Permanent Resident visa back in late 2007. Got it on the back of a phone interview too! The City of Calgary also recruited some UK planners a couple of years back and sorted out visa sponsorship and stuff but job opportunities have tailed off quite a bit since I started. Word was that mid-career planners were in short supply in Alberta due to abolition of the regional planning commission in the Ralph Klein era hence a lot of planners retrained and left planning altogether creating a skills gap.

I applied for jobs in both BC and Alberta at the time and while I had a few interviews for the Alberta positions I never had a single sniff from the numerous positions I applied for in BC, despite principal level experience, policy, environment and transport experience, RTPI and CIP provisional membership.

I would think it highly unlikely you would find a planning job that would sponsor a visa at the current time. One of the issues with municipalities is they are often union positions, so over here unions are a bit 'stronger' for want of a better word. That basically means if a union position is advertised they have to interview all the internal union people first and if they meet the criteria then they get the job! If you have a particular specialism you might be better to target the consultancy side of things. You may even luck out if planners are mentioned on the annual federal skills list when it comes out in July.

To be honest planning (in Alberta anyway) isn't a patch on that in the UK believe it or not! In my experience it boiled down to arguing the toss over wording in policy documents, allowing completely outrageous development proposals in the middle of nowhere, no proper policy framework, a cliquey system (too cliquey for my liking) where consultants and municipal planners knew each other so well that it felt a little uncomfortable to me, consultants just churned out exactly the same identikit development plan documents and just changed the name of the development on the cover! Hence I quit after nine months and temped instead!!!

Having said all that don't give up and good luck!
Flossie
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:02 pm
half a century

Where did they go?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Where did they go?
Maybe not the answers they were looking for
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, i think that's what happens when rose-tinted specs shatter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.