Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recruiting in Vancouver from the UK

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
http://www.andrewwillis.co.uk/

hmm - no post secondary education? Even a basic degree is often not enough to secure a job here . . .
Oh, it's a brave man who would create such a self congratulatory website & post the link here. I seem to have incurred his wrath for my attempts to interject a dose of reality into the OP's plans and views on Canada. However, his responses seem to be at odds with the "...ability to relate to people at all levels." Relate to those that tell you what you want to hear is perhaps more accurate?

I too, think you'll struggle without a degree, to obtain a good job. It shouldn't be neccessary, but a degree seems an entry level requirement in Canada these days.

Still, best of British and all that. Please do come back and relate how you've proved us all wrong.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

Okkkkaaaayyyy, well, erm, first of all, dont use that website to show to potential employers... the majority will tear you into little bits, the ones who consider you because of it, well you dont want to work for. Linkedin is there for a reason.
You are going to have to accept that you are going to be on a low step of the ladder, if you accept that, maybe just maybe you might find an employer, it will be tough, but with the right attitude, meeting the right people and a little luck there is a chance.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:27 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdo1982
Okkkkaaaayyyy, well, erm, first of all, dont use that website to show to potential employers... the majority will tear you into little bits, the ones who consider you because of it, well you dont want to work for. .
Good advice. I guess I could be a potential employer were I in Vancouver as I work in that field. Based on the website, I wouldn't even interview.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good advice. I guess I could be a potential employer were I in Vancouver as I work in that field. Based on the website, I wouldn't even interview.
Because of the website? If so, what's wrong with it?

It gave me the impression of a driven door step salesman. If I wanted someone to sell to convenience stores or pubs, get a large install base for my new alcopop vending machines, some role like that, I'd risk a phone interview.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Oh, it's a brave man who would create such a self congratulatory website & post the link here. I seem to have incurred his wrath for my attempts to interject a dose of reality into the OP's plans and views on Canada. However, his responses seem to be at odds with the "...ability to relate to people at all levels." Relate to those that tell you what you want to hear is perhaps more accurate?

I too, think you'll struggle without a degree, to obtain a good job. It shouldn't be neccessary, but a degree seems an entry level requirement in Canada these days.

Still, best of British and all that. Please do come back and relate how you've proved us all wrong.
Did he post it?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 2:11 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Did he post it?
Its in hiis member info page or whatever that page is called.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:09 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of getting shot down in flames...but I just can't help myself...here goes...

Looking at the resume, I think it may need to be a little bit more "Canadianized" - If I were looking at it with the prospect of hiring someone there are a few things I probably wouldn't know what they were...

Education

I would probably just lump the GCSEs and A Levels together and then state that you have a High School Diploma equivalent, as not all employers here know what kind of level our GCSEs and A Levels are.

Awards & Achievements

I think I have read on this forum a few times before that Prince2 is not very popular or not very well known over here, but perhaps others will come along and advise.

I doubt any Canadians will know what an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence?) is so you might have to spell it out if you think it is an asset to mention.

Also I don't think they will know about the D of E stuff either.

Miscellaneous

I wouldn't mentioning a full UK driving licence - as far as an employer knows it may or may not be valid here. I'd probably just remove the UK bit!

Also, if I saw the phrase "enjoys travel" I probably wouldn't bother interviewing because I translate this as "I like to spend my time roaming around other countries and not at the office" (but that's just me!)

As they say over here..."Good luck with that"
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
At the risk of getting shot down in flames...but I just can't help myself...here goes...

Looking at the resume, I think it may need to be a little bit more "Canadianized" - If I were looking at it with the prospect of hiring someone there are a few things I probably wouldn't know what they were...

Education

I would probably just lump the GCSEs and A Levels together and then state that you have a High School Diploma equivalent, as not all employers here know what kind of level our GCSEs and A Levels are.

Awards & Achievements

I think I have read on this forum a few times before that Prince2 is not very popular or not very well known over here, but perhaps others will come along and advise.

I doubt any Canadians will know what an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence?) is so you might have to spell it out if you think it is an asset to mention.

Also I don't think they will know about the D of E stuff either.

Miscellaneous

I wouldn't mentioning a full UK driving licence - as far as an employer knows it may or may not be valid here. I'd probably just remove the UK bit!

Also, if I saw the phrase "enjoys travel" I probably wouldn't bother interviewing because I translate this as "I like to spend my time roaming around other countries and not at the office" (but that's just me!)

As they say over here..."Good luck with that"
Do you also think he would train and swim in the office as well?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:54 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoys travel - good we can second him to the shitty towns

But D of E is good - tis big here in van schools - but it requires PROPER outback camping etc! Daughter got silver in Gr 10
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with FLossie's advice.

It's a good website for a salesy- type.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:22 pm
half a century

Out of interest - OP we have noted that you have no post secondary education , however on a previous thread you indicated that your partner is a "Town and City Planner" .
Does she have a planning degree ? Or a similar, say geography, with a post grad planning diploma?

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Jun 29th 2012 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Out of interest - OP we have noted that you have no post secondary education , however on a previous thread you indicated that your partner is a "Town and City Planner" .
Does she have a planning degree ? Or a similar, say geography, with a post grad planning diploma?

For the purposes of this thread, does that really matter? It would appear that, even if she has a Ph.D., she will still struggle to obtain work in Vancouver
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:11 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
For the purposes of this thread, does that really matter? It would appear that, even if she has a Ph.D., she will still struggle to obtain work in Vancouver
True, especially as we have Drs driving taxis here ! But at least then some one can advise about education points with regard PR !
Old Jun 29th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

dan09uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
MacDonalds also does LMOs for low skilled workers.

Urban planner? Forget it. Your partner will be up against the locals for the minuscule amount of urban planner jobs here. It's very competitive to get into. Ask 4 Bells.

Are you under 30? could you come on a WHV?
I am a planner, took me 2 years to get a planning job. I worked at staples for 9 months as a computer technician on just above minimum wage. I left there as it was going no where and interned full time unpaid for 6 months at a local municipality to get more Canadian planning experience.

During my internship I applied for a job with the bc ministry of transportation and infrastructure and got a job as a planning technician.

I am a recent graduate from the UK and was living in Toronto at the time I applied for that job, it is possible to get a job, just a lot harder than in the UK.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:09 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan09uk
I am a planner, took me 2 years to get a planning job. I worked at staples for 9 months as a computer technician on just above minimum wage. I left there as it was going no where and interned full time unpaid for 6 months at a local municipality to get more Canadian planning experience.

During my internship I applied for a job with the bc ministry of transportation and infrastructure and got a job as a planning technician.

I am a recent graduate from the UK and was living in Toronto at the time I applied for that job, it is possible to get a job, just a lot harder than in the UK.
Out of curiosity, do you think you'd have the planning job if you weren't in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.