Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recruiters in Victoria / Vancouver...?

Recruiters in Victoria / Vancouver...?

Old Jan 19th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dozzpot is on a distinguished road
Default Recruiters in Victoria / Vancouver...?

Hi all,
My first post: just wondering if anyone has experience of good recruitment agencies in Victoria (or on Vancouver Island generally)...? Or Vancouver...?!
I am a chemist, at the moment in food quality assurance but with a broad background (chemical, medical devices etc).
We already have PR status but are still in the UK trying to raise interest with employers. Have had a couple of promising telephone interviews - so it is not impossible to pursue applications from here - but I am really looking for a decent recruiter or two to push things as a local representative.
Thanks!

Last edited by Dozzpot; Jan 19th 2011 at 7:35 pm. Reason: title
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:16 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of
Default Re: Recruiters in Victoria / Vancouver...?

Originally Posted by Dozzpot
Hi all,
My first post: just wondering if anyone has experience of good recruitment agencies in Victoria (or on Vancouver Island generally)...? Or Vancouver...?!
I am a chemist, at the moment in food quality assurance but with a broad background (chemical, medical devices etc).
We already have PR status but are still in the UK trying to raise interest with employers. Have had a couple of promising telephone interviews - so it is not impossible to pursue applications from here - but I am really looking for a decent recruiter or two to push things as a local representative.
Thanks!
Hi and welcome,

You have done well to get some interviews already since so many people struggle with getting employers to even consider them when they are not here in Canada.

My understanding is still that networking is the very best way to get work and I have seen that time and time again with people here - meet someone and then they start to take interest in you and are helpful.

That said, read the wiki on job hunting if you have not already:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

and I'd suggest leveraging things like LinkedIn, which I believe is particularly well used in the tech industries (chemists included?).

My guess is that Vancouver is more likely to have openings for you than Victoria.

Hope this is of some help.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Frank,
Actually...we are connected on LinkedIn...!
I would indeed like to use that more but the problem is that I can't go public with my UK employer just yet and I am also connected to my boss. That is a shame as I am getting leads for UK jobs through LI but it is not obvious for the stated reason that I am interested in Canada. I have joined lots of BC groups on there but of course they are set not to show on my profile, at least for now.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:39 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dozzpot
Hi Frank,
Actually...we are connected on LinkedIn...!
I would indeed like to use that more but the problem is that I can't go public with my UK employer just yet and I am also connected to my boss. That is a shame as I am getting leads for UK jobs through LI but it is not obvious for the stated reason that I am interested in Canada. I have joined lots of BC groups on there but of course they are set not to show on my profile, at least for now.
Many thanks.
Yes. I well remember the limbo you're in when you cannot go public with your intentions on moving.

One of my clients here was telling me that she had to go public when the company she worked for started offering redundancy and she felt it would be unfair to see others made redundant when she knew she was leaving. And the money was a bonus!

Good luck and let me know if I can help via LI or otherwise.

Frank
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 5:15 am
Just Joined

albert_ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dozzpot

Sounds like you have a good technical background within a range of sectors, similar to my own background. We landed here in August '10 and if you can connect with me through Linked-In I can share my experiences and also the database for the various recruiters I compiled (mainly Vancouver) but in point of fact there are only two I can recommend. In the end it was networking and perseverance that paid off, but there are a few tricks & I learned along the way that may maximise your chances of getting a job!

I'll be up at Whistler this weekend (!) but will happily share this with you on my return.

Eddie Peace
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks gents.

Eddie - we also landed in August; an easy process although we didn't get asked for any supporting documentation like goods list or proof of funds, presumably because we weren't able to stay at the time.

I have just sent you an invite on LinkedIn. Hope you had a good weekend in Whistler!