Reload this Page >

Recommendations Please - Gloves

Wikiposts

Recommendations Please - Gloves

Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough
Default Recommendations Please - Gloves

I wonder if anyone can recommend me a good make of gloves?

I have some nerve damage in my hands that means they hurt when they get cold so I would like some decent gloves before I move over and have to deal with the cold winter.

Ideally I would like them to have a bit of freedom in them rather than be massive padded things / mittens as I imagine I will be wearing them a lot. I currently wear a pair of leather gloves over here in the UK but I know they won't be enough for Toronto. I have been to a couple of outdoor shops here and no one could give me that good an answer.

can anyone recommend any makes / types to look at?

many thanks
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:51 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendations Please - Gloves

Mittens are actually warmer, combined with thin glove "liners" if not warm enough. Id go that way under your curcumstances.

You can also get mits/ gloves that take a chemical heater pad in a built in pocket.

Check out some of the ski supply websites or MEC for ideas. Waterproof / Breathable is a must too if you are going to be in them for any decent length of time.

My liners are North Face and are thin enought that I can play my sax in them in the Santa parades while keeping warmish

The mitts I typically wear on the skihill are Waterproof breathable ones with a shock chord that goes around my wrist so I can easily whip them off if I need to do something fiddly. Came from Winners, I think they are Burton ones. I also have a really expensive pair of goretex / thinsulate leather gloves, but I seldom ever wear them as the other setup works better. In terms of "technical" clothing Ive seen a lot of Auclair branded gloves here, they are well made, good value and suitable to the local climate.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 13th 2011 at 8:15 am.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Mittens are actually warmer, combined with thin glove "liners" if not warm enough. Id go that way under your curcumstances.

You can also get mits/ gloves that take a chemical heater pad in a built in pocket.

Check out some of the ski supply websites for ideas. Waterproof / Breathable is a must too if you are going to be in them for any decent length of time.
I would recommend a good pair of mittens which have a zip on the top so you can put in heat pads. The pads are available all over once it gets colder.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:05 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

agree with the above though unfortunately (not too sure on the temps in Ontario so bear with me) I don't think there is a thin pair of gloves on the market that will allow you maximum dexterity in the really cold times.

You may have to suck it up and go the liner / mitten route (my preferred choice)
Old Oct 7th 2011, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the above. When I climbed in the Alps it was somewhat of a badge if honour to be able to eat a 4 fingered Kit-kat with full winter mitts on without losing any of the silver foil, so dexterity with mitts is possible.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 2:26 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Men/Acc...oves/index.cat

Have a look at the First Ascent line of gloves in the link, they have been developed by mountain guides, so you would still have lots of dexterity there. Online coupon code can be provided if your/anyone is interested.

As others have mentioned mittens are the warmest things for your hands, even the woolly $10 Canadian Olympic ones are good for warm hands (I have some and love them more than I thought I would). I think I might get some down filled gloves this year from work though.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Oct 7th 2011 at 2:31 am.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:01 am
Wish I was elsewhere!

sulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant future

Not sure where you live, but 19th-23rd Oct is the Ski/Snowboard Show in London, you might be able to get a deal on a pair there, I've got deals at the NEC motorbike show previously, saved Ā£200 on a pair of leathers before!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

get a decent pair of ski gloves, my Swany gloves have been excellent, and that is in a winnipeg winter!

make sure you get ones with an elasticated wrist strap so that if you need to you can whip them off and not have to put them anywhere - it does make you look like a 4 year old, but at least you can get your gloves on quick.

I can drive in my gloves quite happily, but can't operate a cellphone with them.

btw, if you are still in UK I recently saw swany gloves in tk max, other than that go to a decent ski shop
Old Oct 7th 2011, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

badab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant futurebadab1ng has a brilliant future

The Bay sell a range of gloves with metal buttons/studs on the fingertips for operating cell phones, mp3 etc without having to take them off.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

many thanks for the replies - will have a look in TKMAXX - cheers!
Old Oct 9th 2011, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

honeybunny2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rich07
I would recommend a good pair of mittens which have a zip on the top so you can put in heat pads. The pads are available all over once it gets colder.
Mittens with heat pads - Oh my! I feel a little more out of touch with the world when I read things like this!!!
Old Oct 12th 2011, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Dakota Thinsulate gloves from Marks Work Wearhouse. I am truck driver in Halifax. I suffer from arthritis and swear by them, great for the cold winters and you can still work with them!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:43 am
Just Joined

foxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to allfoxytri is a name known to all

good thread - preparing for my first winter in Canada and I'm looking for all the protection I can get although I know Vancouver is the mildest part so I'm hoping it wont be too bad!
Old Oct 13th 2011, 6:19 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxytri
good thread - preparing for my first winter in Canada and I'm looking for all the protection I can get although I know Vancouver is the mildest part so I'm hoping it wont be too bad!
Its a very damp cold here though, so it feels a lot colder than it appears. I'd suggest gore-tex ones as they will keep you dry as well as warm.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Location: Dryden - in the bit of Ontario that everyone forgets about.
rob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of lightrob28 is a glorious beacon of light

I seemed to suffer with cold hands while the wife was quite happy in a thin pair of wollen gloves.
I've now found 150gsm (insulation weight) mittens with a built in glove liner insert are brilliant for me and still keep my fingers nice and toasty even when walking the dog in -35.
I've also got a pair of 150gsm gloves which are OK for a while in about -20 but nowhere near as good as the mitts.