Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

recommendations for housing/living in NS

recommendations for housing/living in NS

Old Aug 27th 2018, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: recommendations for housing/living in NS

Ouch quite the picture you paint. Maybe i should be looking at ontario then, alberta sounds great but people here live to work it's sad and they live like that because of stupid high mortgages and truck debt. The land/houses are no where near worth what there selling for. It's in a bit of a bubble. Plus oil isn't gonna last forever but that is taboo to even consider that Canada low grade oil isn't going to sustain them.
I wanted more work life balance; I figured lower bills lower wages but less likely I would be working till I drop dead trying to pay a mortgage off, also being a little closer to UK for jollys.
I'll have a goose at ontario I'm pretty sure lafarge have some good plants there anyway.
not much opportunity for tidal sailing though but swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Would you say the same for transport industry in New Brunswick?
Old Aug 27th 2018, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

sidjoloo is an unknown quantity at this point

We came to Nova Scotia because my mum lives here and it's easy to get home... we live on the Eastern Shore now and love it.
Dartmouth is a good settling spot, the new 4 pad is great, I loved being able to go for a skate every morning for FREE! And the ice is great.
My mum is looking for someone to share her house, if you have never been over before perhaps you could look into a house share for a few months to get you going? At least then you can work out where you love/hate and if it's a go-er before getting too deep with a mortgage etc?
Old Aug 28th 2018, 4:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by wardy_1990
Would you say the same for transport industry in New Brunswick?
With bells on
Old Aug 29th 2018, 11:46 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sharpy4
Hi All,

I am looking to relocate from the UK to NS Halifax/ Dartmouth area and wanted some advise on nice family friendly areas that are fairly close to ice/leisure facilities for my young boys.
I also work as a Nurse and hoping to work in the local hospitals in or surrounding Haifax. My husband would ideally work as a plumbers mate/ apprentice until he converts to a qualified plumber once he has gained enough experience/ hours/ qualifications etc.

So far I have looked at Bedford, Clayton Park and some of Dartmouth but it is limited to see whats to offer on the web considering that I have not been to NS before.
We were originally looking to re-locate to GTA--Burlington or Milton area as I have been over to visit twice before but the prices are jumping up fairly quickly and we may find ourselves financially restricted until we become established with work etc.

Any advise or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Why don't you consider other areas in Ontario that might be cheaper? Such as Kitchner-Waterloo, Kingston or Ottawa?