Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for airlines when travelling with young children

Wikiposts

Recommendations for airlines when travelling with young children

Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all
Default Re: Recommendations for airlines when travelling with young children

I was planning on checking the seats in - don't want to carry them anywhere!!! But at this rate, by the time our passports come back - they'll be old enough to pilot the planes themselves!!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:39 am
Just Joined

nikkistothard is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning on booking in our car seats as luggage as I dont really want to haul them round departures - I know BA do offer their own seats on the plane if you ask but wasnt sure if any other airlines do this or not.

I have resigned myself to my 2 and a half year old creating havoc for the duration of the flight - I may have to resort to the valium option too!!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
RN1
BE Enthusiast

RN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to allRN1 is a name known to all

Medised??? Phenergan?? :-D

Actually I regularly travelled the Atlantic with my kids from when they were 6 weeks old (my eldest is now 16) & never had any issues (neither did any of our fellow travellers - even those who scowled when we came aboard!)

I used to make my own airplane packs with new stuff for each child. I wrapped up everything for the older ones (well opening presents takes a few seconds!) & made sure they openedn just one at a time.

I made sure there was plenty of things that wouldn't need too much input from me! Those Crayola magic marker books are awesome for 18mths plus - they do a finger painting version too. I also made sure there were lots of snacky things too (NOT too much sugary stuff though!)

The babies always slept - the white noise of the engine plus the early leaving times seemed to keep them out my hair the vast majority of the trip!

Of course now theyre' older the PSP/NDS & back seat entertainment are just perfect! Don't hear a peep ALL flight!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Nikki, are your car seats ok to use in Canada? We had to ditch ours and buy new on arrival. They are completely different to UK models and have tether straps and all sorts... Just a word of warning as the police in AB were quite hot on checking car seats...
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

ness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really niceness101 is just really nice

Hi

Just thought I'd let you knwo we flew with Air Canada in May to Calgary - 9 hour flight and they were good. Our children are 6, 4 and 2. Our plane has individual tv's in the headrests and the children has their own headsets to watch the kids tv and films. There was a young baby on our flight out and they had a carry cot that attached to the wall in the front seats.

The supply of food and drink kept the children occupied too. We had DS'a with us but they never used them on the flight.

Hope this helps but we would use Air Canada again.

When there we hired an RV and toured for 2 weeks. This was really good as the children had space to move around and use the toilet if they needed to. We too went on a reccie so my husband went for interviews and we stayed outside in the RV.

Let me know if I can be of any more help,

Vanessa
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:15 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbiem
Nikki, are your car seats ok to use in Canada? We had to ditch ours and buy new on arrival. They are completely different to UK models and have tether straps and all sorts... Just a word of warning as the police in AB were quite hot on checking car seats...
Hi

They are very strict on car seats, whilst I think the UK ones are at least on a par, they dont have the Canada Transport sign and therefore do not meet Canada regulations.

We gave ours to family, hired a car to Gatwick with their car seats and then bought new car seats for the kids when we arrived.

Last edited by nikki dreaming; Jul 1st 2009 at 12:18 pm.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 12:23 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I have two sets of carseats - English (Britax) and the Canadian ones. I just take the Britax ones with me when I go home, upgrading as required over the years. It resolves the flights issue and that of arriving in Canada without CSA approved carseats - they are already in the van in the long term car park!