Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommendation/Advice - Ottawa v Winnipeg

Recommendation/Advice - Ottawa v Winnipeg

Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

slh71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recommendation/Advice - Ottawa v Winnipeg

This is my first post to apologies first if it doesn't quite make sense or I am asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum.

My family and I are just starting out on the immigration process and are at the early stages of research (and more research). At the moment we have narrowed down the likely areas that we are considering to Ottawa and Winnipeg but I would be grateful for any thoughts and feedback from members on here. Having read a number of posts already I know that you all need lots of information to be able to help me so hopefully the following will help:

My OH and I are "older" wannabe immigrants, by the time that we are actually in a position to move over we will be mid 40s and early 50s. I am a lawyer by profession (although not working in that area at the moment) and my OH is in logistics. We have two children who will be approximately 21 and 19 when we are ready for the move.

We want to live somewhere rural but within commuting distance of a decent sized town/city for work and shopping etc. We currently live in a rural location and commute about 1 hour each way each day to work, so travelling this same amount of time each day for work doesn't worry us; and obviously because of the age of the children we don't have to worry about schools nearby.

As a family we have lived abroad before and currently do not live locally to any family so the whole moving abroad to live scenario doesn't phase us as we stay in touch with family and friends now by phone, e-mail and the occasional visit.

Ultimately we would like to buy our own property with a decent sized garden and somewhere where the properties aren't too crowded together, but to begin with we appreciate that renting is going to be the better option and would look to do that for at least the first 6 months.

I know that the two locations we are considering have very cold winters and hot summers but again that doesn't really phase us as we will just dress appropriately and follow the lead of the locals (if they can cope with it then I am sure we will too).

I would be really grateful for your thoughts and suggestions on possible locations on the basis of the above and which of the two choices between Ottawa and Winnipeg you think would be the better option.

Hopefully I have given enough information about us and what we are looking for so that someone on this site can give us feedback.

Many thanks
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommendation/Advice - Ottawa v Winnipeg

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I'll move your thread to the main Canada forum, as the immi section is really only for visa related queries and your questions are mainly about location. I'm sure that those in the Ottawa/Winnipeg areas will be able to help. I'm intrigued to know how you came up with two very different areas as choices though!

One thing I assume you're aware of is that your children would only be considered dependents (and therefore able to go on your visa application) until the age of 22? I'm not sure how old they are now, but if one will be approximately 21 by the time you move, that's something to consider.

Also, do you know what kind of visa you'll be moving on? As your children wouldn't be able to work in Manitoba unless they are PR's, so that may be another thing to factor in.

And lastly, if you haven't already, do look in to what you'd need to do to requalify and work in Canada as a lawyer in Canada if you want to work in that area, as it will vary by province and you may find that one is much easier than another.

Best of luck with it all.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:40 am
Just Joined

Thank you for responding so quickly (and for moving me to the right thread).

I did know about the age limit of 22 years for dependants but hadn't appreciated the restriction on them being able to work in Manitoba without PR.

I have started to look into the requalifying/working as a lawyer in Canada, but to be honest that isn't a major consideration for us at the moment. As I am not currently working as a lawyer here, I am happy to consider alternative employment (after 20+ years I am looking for a change).

Thanks again for your response and putting me in the right place.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slh71
Thanks again for your response and putting me in the right place.
No probs. Just for your info re: your children working, this is how they'd (currently) be allowed to work in Ontario but not MB - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp

Obviously, that may change by the time you come to move though, MB may have a pilot program in place and ON may have ended theirs! No way of knowing, but if you were planning on going on a TWP then it's something to be aware of as it's often a problem for working age teens.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

We want to live somewhere rural but within commuting distance of a decent sized town/city for work and shopping etc. We currently live in a rural location and commute about 1 hour each way each day to work, so travelling this same amount of time each day for work doesn't worry us; and obviously because of the age of the children we don't have to worry about schools nearby.

I know that the two locations we are considering have very cold winters and hot summers but again that doesn't really phase us as we will just dress appropriately and follow the lead of the locals (if they can cope with it then I am sure we will too).

Many thanks
Hello and welcome,

good attitude towards the cold winters. Can speak only about Winterpeg, we have lived three weeks there last February during our Exploratory Visit, we had only few really cold days (up to-37° C) but the cold was dry, so dressed appropriately we were absolutely fine with that.
We're moving in April, so let's see what the next winter will have in store for us.

As living in a rural community in commuting distance to a city is concerned, check out Brandon (as city )

http://www.brandon.ca/

and explore the areas around. Rossburn e.g. could be nice, but the driving distance would be 150 km or so, presumably too far for daily commute, at least on the long run.

Here is a list with towns and smaller cities:

http://www.immigratemanitoba.com/cho...l-communities/

Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This is my first post to apologies first if it doesn't quite make sense or I am asking the wrong questions in the wrong forum.

My family and I are just starting out on the immigration process and are at the early stages of research (and more research). At the moment we have narrowed down the likely areas that we are considering to Ottawa and Winnipeg but I would be grateful for any thoughts and feedback from members on here. Having read a number of posts already I know that you all need lots of information to be able to help me so hopefully the following will help:

My OH and I are "older" wannabe immigrants, by the time that we are actually in a position to move over we will be mid 40s and early 50s. I am a lawyer by profession (although not working in that area at the moment) and my OH is in logistics. We have two children who will be approximately 21 and 19 when we are ready for the move.

As a family we have lived abroad before and currently do not live locally to any family so the whole moving abroad to live scenario doesn't phase us as we stay in touch with family and friends now by phone, e-mail and the occasional visit.

Ultimately we would like to buy our own property with a decent sized garden and somewhere where the properties aren't too crowded together, but to begin with we appreciate that renting is going to be the better option and would look to do that for at least the first 6 months.

I would be really grateful for your thoughts and suggestions on possible locations on the basis of the above and which of the two choices between Ottawa and Winnipeg you think would be the better option.

Hopefully I have given enough information about us and what we are looking for so that someone on this site can give us feedback.

Many thanks
What is is about Winnipeg and Ottawa that has attracted you to those locations as, from what you have stated above, it is difficult to see why you have discounted the rest of the country?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:39 am
Just Joined

I have so far narrowed it down to Ottawa and Winnipeg on the basis that we want to be on/near the east of Canada (based primarily on flight times to UK) and also wanting to be near (or fairly near) town/city for better employment prospects.

Given that we have no links to Canada which would require us to be in any particular place other than what I have already posted and commented above, we are completely open to suggestions (although we would like to go somewhere that does at least have a bit of a summer and isn't cold and wet throughout the year!).
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:42 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have so far narrowed it down to Ottawa and Winnipeg on the basis that we want to be on/near the east of Canada (based primarily on flight times to UK) and also wanting to be near (or fairly near) town/city for better employment prospects.
Err, Winnipeg is not in the east of Canada, nor is Ottawa although less so.

Ottawa's quite pleasant, Winnipeg's the armpit of Canada.

I think you should do a bit more research.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Given that we have no links to Canada which would require us to be in any particular place other than what I have already posted and commented above, we are completely open to suggestions (although we would like to go somewhere that does at least have a bit of a summer and isn't cold and wet throughout the year!).
I suggest that most of Canada has a bit of summer and most of Canada isn't cold and wet throughout the year. Most of Canada would permit you to live rurally and be within reasonable travelling distance of a town/city.

If you have chosen Ottawa or Winnipeg, that is fine. It's just that you have asked people which they believe is preferable but have not really provided any criteria that would enable them to provide you with an objective opinion. For me, I would not countenance living in Winnipeg so it would be Ottawa for me but, as you can see, I don't live near any of them.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:10 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I would choose whichever is closer to your place of employment.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You narrowed it down to Winnipeg based on its connections to the outside world and cos its not cold?

Is this a wind up?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:17 am
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Halifax
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
You narrowed it down to Winnipeg based on its connections to the outside world and cos its not cold?

Is this a wind up?
Cold but not cold througout the year, at least that`s how I got it.
And there is summer in Peg, in fact also spring and autumn and...no, not only one day
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tangram
I would choose whichever is closer to your place of employment.
+1
Old Jan 30th 2013, 3:40 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conmar
Cold but not cold througout the year, at least that`s how I got it.
And there is summer in Peg, in fact also spring and autumn and...no, not only one day
Its not exactly an international travel hub though is it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.