Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all
Default Re: Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

We have lived in Burlington for six years, very family orientated, love it...

Realtors we have used in the past, who I would recommend highly;

Dave Cole

http://www.royallepage.ca/davecole

and Glenn Martin (He was excellent in our house selling negotiations, actually got us more money than we would have thought)

http://www.onsalehomes.com/aboutus

A nice place though with a villagy feel would also be Waterdown.

If you want any more info PM me...
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

The Oakville Soccer club is huge. They run a full programme of both house league (recreational) and representative (competitive) soccer for all age groups, starting at Under 4 level for the house leagues. The season runs from May to mid-July for outdoor, and as Dollface mentioned, there's an indoor winter league system too. The club is one of the largest in the country, adn has excellent new-ish facilities at Pine Glen & Third Line in northwest Oakville. Registration for the summer season is open now, but tends to fill up fast so it may already be too late to get a place for this season. www.oakvillesoccer.ca will have details, but since it's their busiest time of year trying to arrange the summer leagues, volunteer coaches, etc, I'm not too surprised they haven't got round to replying to you yet.

For swimming, we've had enormous success with the programmes run by the town's own parks & rec department. Our two eldest (now 7 and 4) have learned through the graduated classes from the earliest preschool to confident and reasonably competent swimming. Class sizes are small (instructor:student ratio is about 1:3 on average) and remarkably good value for money. There are huge numbers of courses for all sorts of things run through the town: take a look at http://www.oakville.ca/progbrochure.htm for more details. My OH is just finishing up a digital photography course; our eldest is about to start after-school skateboarding lessons - there's no shortage of activities! I've had mixed reports about the Oakville Swim Academy. My own view, not from any personal experience, is that it would have to be really good to be worth the money, and I can't see that it is.

Can't speak directly about drama or (instrumental) music, but I do know there's an excellent children's choir www.oakvillechildrenschoir.org if that floats your boat.

For babysitters/childminders, do you mean on an occasional basis, or a regular before/after school care programme? For occasional babysitters, before in-laws moved within striking distance, we used a system managed by Sheridan College, which has an early-childhood education programme, that matched up babysitters in their programme with local parents needing babysitting. Most schools will have some form of preschool and afterschool club, several of which are run by the YMCA. Ask other parents at the bus-stop or school gate - or see which of your neighbours has likely-looking teenagers in need of an extra few bucks!

Hope that helps

Originally Posted by T4T
Thanks all for the lovely replies.

To those living in Oakville/Milton areas who have younge children, please can you recommend a good soccer club, swimm school, drama school, piano and guitar teacher.

I've heard of Oakville Soccer club and I've tried contacting them but haven't had a reply back.

I also found the Oakville Swim Academy's website and it looks very nice but wonder if anyone has had any experience with them.

Also, does anyone use babysitters/childminders outside their children's school and if so how do you find them? This is one of my main concerns as we'll be moving to a place where we'll have no friends initiallly and we may well need childcare support outside the school.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:06 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Yes, Milton has lots of parks and green space - dogs are supposed to be kept on leases in most of them (generally ones with children's playgrounds), but Milton does have at least one big leash-free park for dogs to play and run, which is fenced to protect them from cars, etc.

Shops: depends what you're looking for. There are half a dozen supermarkets, lots of pharmacies, etc., a big Home Depot, a Best Buy, some furniture stores, a golf store, lots of take out foods and restaurants, and lots of coffee shops (Starbucks/Tim Hortons/one-off places). As far as clothing goes, there isn't a ton, but I don't buy clothes very often, and only a couple of places carry my size, so I do most of my clothes shopping at a mall in Mississauga (about 15 minutes away).

Libraries - yes, several. I think there are 2 or 3 now. I borrow books electronically and read them on my e-reader, never even have to set foot in the physical building (although the one nearest to me is brand new and very nice).
Thats great thanks alot for that we will def look at Milton sounds a great place just what we are looking for also thanks Mrs G ill send him an email thanks for all you help
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:10 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
Thats great thanks alot for that we will def look at Milton sounds a great place just what we are looking for also thanks Mrs G ill send him an email thanks for all you help
I am told that you are not allowed to park on the street in Milton, that can be an issue when you have guests
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
I was in Milton last Friday. It was subsequently pointed out to me that I drove through at a little over twice the speed limit (55mph in a 40kph zone). I find it's that kind of place, I go faster and faster trying to escape and find myself going around and around the identical streets wondering if I should not just kill myself there and then rather than endure another moment.

That's pretty much my view of Mississauga too.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:29 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
We don't have kids, but live between two elementary schools and have lots of neighbours with kids. You don't mention the ages of your kids, but Milton has a ton of organised kids sports - Milton Magic soccer, Milton Marlins for competitive swimming, there are 2 or three music schools (School of Rock and Guitar World come to mind, both teach all instruments). Drama is often offered within schools, or as an after school club.

Can't help with before/after school care - most of the kids around us are either old enough to babysit other kids (12 and up) or are too young for school. Again, this will all depend on the age of your kid about whether you want them going to a daycare after school or whether you sign them up for at-school activities. Keep in mind that if your child is in Junior or Senior kindergarten, they may only be in school for either half days or every other day.
Hi cov-canuck

Many thanks for the reply. My kids are 5 and 8. My 5 year old will be going to Grade 1 and the school we're looking at offers before/after school club, however I'm thinking of childcare outside the school if need be.
T4T
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:33 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
The Oakville Soccer club is huge. They run a full programme of both house league (recreational) and representative (competitive) soccer for all age groups, starting at Under 4 level for the house leagues. The season runs from May to mid-July for outdoor, and as Dollface mentioned, there's an indoor winter league system too. The club is one of the largest in the country, adn has excellent new-ish facilities at Pine Glen & Third Line in northwest Oakville. Registration for the summer season is open now, but tends to fill up fast so it may already be too late to get a place for this season. www.oakvillesoccer.ca will have details, but since it's their busiest time of year trying to arrange the summer leagues, volunteer coaches, etc, I'm not too surprised they haven't got round to replying to you yet.

For swimming, we've had enormous success with the programmes run by the town's own parks & rec department. Our two eldest (now 7 and 4) have learned through the graduated classes from the earliest preschool to confident and reasonably competent swimming. Class sizes are small (instructor:student ratio is about 1:3 on average) and remarkably good value for money. There are huge numbers of courses for all sorts of things run through the town: take a look at http://www.oakville.ca/progbrochure.htm for more details. My OH is just finishing up a digital photography course; our eldest is about to start after-school skateboarding lessons - there's no shortage of activities! I've had mixed reports about the Oakville Swim Academy. My own view, not from any personal experience, is that it would have to be really good to be worth the money, and I can't see that it is.

Can't speak directly about drama or (instrumental) music, but I do know there's an excellent children's choir www.oakvillechildrenschoir.org if that floats your boat.

For babysitters/childminders, do you mean on an occasional basis, or a regular before/after school care programme? For occasional babysitters, before in-laws moved within striking distance, we used a system managed by Sheridan College, which has an early-childhood education programme, that matched up babysitters in their programme with local parents needing babysitting. Most schools will have some form of preschool and afterschool club, several of which are run by the YMCA. Ask other parents at the bus-stop or school gate - or see which of your neighbours has likely-looking teenagers in need of an extra few bucks!

Hope that helps

Hi Oakvillian

Many thanks for the info about the children's choir and swimming lesson. I'll looking into both of them.

As if by magic, I got a reply from Oakville Soccer club. Looking forward to visitng their club.

Thanks also for the info about Sheridan College, I'll contact them and find out.

Yes, you're right, there's so much for everyone to do. Can't wait to move!
T4T
Old Mar 9th 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
I am told that you are not allowed to park on the street in Milton, that can be an issue when you have guests
Not quite accurate. Some streets (especially the residential ones in the newer areas) have 3 hour parking limits. If you are having guests stay longer, you can apply online for a parking consideration for 24 hours, and you can get 18 of those per plate per year, which is more than ample for most people. Plus they only have a couple of people patrolling the entire city, so the chances of getting a ticket is rare (in 5 years, neither we or any guests have been ticketed).
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:08 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I was in Milton last Friday. It was subsequently pointed out to me that I drove through at a little over twice the speed limit (55mph in a 40kph zone). I find it's that kind of place, I go faster and faster trying to escape and find myself going around and around the identical streets wondering if I should not just kill myself there and then rather than endure another moment.

That's pretty much my view of Mississauga too.
who cares?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
who cares?
I suppose you care enough to comment. I imagine the rest of the world is divided into people who hate suburbs and those who don't notice where they live. I assume the former have their prejudices confirmed, the latter don't know what I'm on about. I don't imagine anyone, except yourself, pays much attention.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:46 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I think hes talking about the real world, not Planet Lower Mainland
Tell me about it!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by T4T
Hi 27mich71

Thanks. Wishing you all the best with your move too.

Trust the girls are excited about the move.

Can I ask why you choose Burlington over Oakville?

Thanks
T4T
Hi

Burlington is i think slightly cheaper and we are looking at renting for our first year (rentals are so expensive and no fully furnished) If anyone has any links for rentals it would be appreciated.
I would definatley be up for a get together once we have arrived in early June!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:43 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose you care enough to comment. I imagine the rest of the world is divided into people who hate suburbs and those who don't notice where they live. I assume the former have their prejudices confirmed, the latter don't know what I'm on about. I don't imagine anyone, except yourself, pays much attention.
Most people tend to notice where they live and most pay attention, hence why they chose to live there in the first place. Why are you always so difficult?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Most people tend to notice where they live and most pay attention, hence why they chose to live there in the first place.
I have trouble with the concept of "choosing" suburbia. I think people wind up there because the city's too expensive and the country's too far away. I don't think anyone dreams of life in a housing project.

Why are you always so difficult?
I'm not. I'm famously easy going, stable and relaxed.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:48 pm

I have trouble with the concept of "choosing" suburbia. I think people wind up there because the city's too expensive and the country's too far away. I don't think anyone dreams of life in a housing project.

I'm not. I'm famously easy going, stable and relaxed.
We could have lived in the city but choose not to raise our children there. Suburbia isn't a bad place to raise a family believe it or not. Guelph isn't exactly in the wilds!

Stable??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.