Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Old Mar 7th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future27mich71 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Originally Posted by T4T
Hello

My family and I will be landing in Toronto in Oakville and we'll be there for 2 weeks.

We're planning to relocate to the Oakville area in July God willing and are currently look to either rent for a year and buy later or buy straight. I've fallen in love with Oakville event though I've never being there before although the porperties I love at a bit on the higher side so we're considering other areas nearby too and came across Milton.

Does anyone live in either areas and can tell me what they're like. Are they ideal for a young family with 2 young children aged 5 and 8?

Please can you kindly recommend a good real estate agent in the areas?

Many thanks
T4T
Hi T4T

We are looking at coming over in June with our 2 daughters (9 and 11). We ahve family in Oakville, but are looking at Burlington. Looking at renting first then deciding what to do after 6 months. We don't have jobs so that will be a priority when we land, after we find the furniture to furnish a house!!!!!

Good Luck
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 27mich71
Hi T4T

We are looking at coming over in June with our 2 daughters (9 and 11). We ahve family in Oakville, but are looking at Burlington. Looking at renting first then deciding what to do after 6 months. We don't have jobs so that will be a priority when we land, after we find the furniture to furnish a house!!!!!

Good Luck
Hi 27mich71

Thanks. Wishing you all the best with your move too.

Trust the girls are excited about the move.

Can I ask why you choose Burlington over Oakville?

Thanks
T4T
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:14 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Another Oakvillian here! live beside Bronte Provincial Park very nice, but more expensive than Milton, Burlington, Georgetown etc. Great place for kids, everything pretty much on your doorstep including indoor soccer for those winter months!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Good Luck
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
everything pretty much on your doorstep including indoor soccer for those winter months!
OK, I only go to Bronte Creek once a year but it looks to me as if it's a long way from anywhere. There's a petrol station across from the entrance and some sort of fast food place but what else is there within walking distance?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:49 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I live in Milton - it's nice, good location, but doesn't really have the "old town" feeling of Oakville. Milton's primary demographic seems to be families with young children, so there are tons of schools, sports centers, etc. and is just starting to get the big box stores so you don't have to drive to Mississauga. Milton is getting expensive, but still not as expensive as Oakville.
hi glad i saw this thread was just about to start a new 1 about what Milton is like . My wife and i are moving to Ontario at end me year and was looking at Milton, a couple me questions if you dont mind are there many parks and green spaces we have a dog who loves running around , also what is town like are there good shops and a library ? Thanks in advance
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:54 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mrs-G
If you're still looking for an agent my brother is one, working in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area. Let me know if you'd like his details. He's also an expat so has done the move.
hi Mrs-G , i an also looking to move to Milton it would be great if you could give me your brothers details either on here or pm thanks alot
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:30 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arniedog
hi glad i saw this thread was just about to start a new 1 about what Milton is like . My wife and i are moving to Ontario at end me year and was looking at Milton, a couple me questions if you dont mind are there many parks and green spaces we have a dog who loves running around , also what is town like are there good shops and a library ? Thanks in advance
I can't speak for Milton specifically but for the most part dogs in Ontario have to be leashed when in public parks. Some municipalities provide special parks for dogs to run free and I believe Milton has one.
http://www.milton.ca/execserv/press_...bbq_sept08.pdf
Old Mar 8th 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

hi Mrs-G , i an also looking to move to Milton it would be great if you could give me your brothers details either on here or pm thanks alot
Arniedog

He's Scott MacClure at Century 21 Dreams.
http://www.century21.ca/scott.macclure

he's based in oakville, but works in Milton, Burlington etc, down to Stoney Creek usually.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Yes, Milton has lots of parks and green space - dogs are supposed to be kept on leases in most of them (generally ones with children's playgrounds), but Milton does have at least one big leash-free park for dogs to play and run, which is fenced to protect them from cars, etc.

Shops: depends what you're looking for. There are half a dozen supermarkets, lots of pharmacies, etc., a big Home Depot, a Best Buy, some furniture stores, a golf store, lots of take out foods and restaurants, and lots of coffee shops (Starbucks/Tim Hortons/one-off places). As far as clothing goes, there isn't a ton, but I don't buy clothes very often, and only a couple of places carry my size, so I do most of my clothes shopping at a mall in Mississauga (about 15 minutes away).

Libraries - yes, several. I think there are 2 or 3 now. I borrow books electronically and read them on my e-reader, never even have to set foot in the physical building (although the one nearest to me is brand new and very nice).
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:11 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
OK, I only go to Bronte Creek once a year but it looks to me as if it's a long way from anywhere. There's a petrol station across from the entrance and some sort of fast food place but what else is there within walking distance?
Dentist, Starbucks, Pizza, DVD store, corner shop Doctors, Dry cleaners, bank, great parks, splash pads, dog (leash free) park etc. Thats walking distance. Most folks drive and the soccer, grocery stores etc a 2 minute drive.

I know you hate Oakville, but it is a great, safe, pretty place for families.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Dentist, Starbucks, Pizza, DVD store, corner shop Doctors, Dry cleaners, bank, great parks, splash pads, dog (leash free) park etc. Thats walking distance. Most folks drive and the soccer, grocery stores etc a 2 minute drive.

I know you hate Oakville, but it is a great, safe, pretty place for families.
I don't hate it, at least not specifically, I see it as just another suburb. "Most folks drive" says it all really.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't hate it, at least not specifically, I see it as just another suburb. "Most folks drive" says it all really.
Says all what? we also excersise alot - Bronte park on the doorstep, daily walks etc so you need to drive places, don't most folk worldwide have to drive at some point? You live in Guelph, not exactly what one would consider to be rural.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:57 am
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough

Thanks all for the lovely replies.

To those living in Oakville/Milton areas who have younge children, please can you recommend a good soccer club, swimm school, drama school, piano and guitar teacher.

I've heard of Oakville Soccer club and I've tried contacting them but haven't had a reply back.

I also found the Oakville Swim Academy's website and it looks very nice but wonder if anyone has had any experience with them.

Also, does anyone use babysitters/childminders outside their children's school and if so how do you find them? This is one of my main concerns as we'll be moving to a place where we'll have no friends initiallly and we may well need childcare support outside the school.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:34 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Prices on the high side in Oakville? - good lordy try Vancouver!!
I think hes talking about the real world, not Planet Lower Mainland
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by T4T
Thanks all for the lovely replies.

To those living in Oakville/Milton areas who have younge children, please can you recommend a good soccer club, swimm school, drama school, piano and guitar teacher.

I've heard of Oakville Soccer club and I've tried contacting them but haven't had a reply back.

I also found the Oakville Swim Academy's website and it looks very nice but wonder if anyone has had any experience with them.

Also, does anyone use babysitters/childminders outside their children's school and if so how do you find them? This is one of my main concerns as we'll be moving to a place where we'll have no friends initiallly and we may well need childcare support outside the school.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
We don't have kids, but live between two elementary schools and have lots of neighbours with kids. You don't mention the ages of your kids, but Milton has a ton of organised kids sports - Milton Magic soccer, Milton Marlins for competitive swimming, there are 2 or three music schools (School of Rock and Guitar World come to mind, both teach all instruments). Drama is often offered within schools, or as an after school club.

Can't help with before/after school care - most of the kids around us are either old enough to babysit other kids (12 and up) or are too young for school. Again, this will all depend on the age of your kid about whether you want them going to a daycare after school or whether you sign them up for at-school activities. Keep in mind that if your child is in Junior or Senior kindergarten, they may only be in school for either half days or every other day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.