Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:41 am
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough
Default Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Hello

My family and I will be landing in Toronto in Oakville and we'll be there for 2 weeks.

We're planning to relocate to the Oakville area in July God willing and are currently look to either rent for a year and buy later or buy straight. I've fallen in love with Oakville event though I've never being there before although the porperties I love at a bit on the higher side so we're considering other areas nearby too and came across Milton.

Does anyone live in either areas and can tell me what they're like. Are they ideal for a young family with 2 young children aged 5 and 8?

Please can you kindly recommend a good real estate agent in the areas?

Many thanks
T4T
Old Mar 1st 2011, 12:21 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recommend good real estate in Oakville/Milton areas

Originally Posted by T4T
Hello

My family and I will be landing in Toronto in Oakville and we'll be there for 2 weeks.

We're planning to relocate to the Oakville area in July God willing and are currently look to either rent for a year and buy later or buy straight. I've fallen in love with Oakville event though I've never being there before although the porperties I love at a bit on the higher side so we're considering other areas nearby too and came across Milton.

Does anyone live in either areas and can tell me what they're like. Are they ideal for a young family with 2 young children aged 5 and 8?

Please can you kindly recommend a good real estate agent in the areas?

Many thanks
T4T
I would point you in the direction of Frances & Ken Wedlake (mother and son).

http://wedlake.ca/index.php?option=c...id=9&Itemid=10

We bought our house with Frances and sold it through the pair of them. Really good. They know the Oakville property market inside out. They may not know Milton but they will certainly know who does.

Tell them I sent you. They will likely remember the Brit with the Quebecoise missus.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 12:09 am
Just Joined

gtown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

If I could offer some advice, from experience, do not buy before you have lived in the area. Luckily we rented and got to know what each place had to offer, what the house prices were like and what the transportation links were like.

It is difficult to describe a place without putting your own spin on things and that will depend on what you want or are looking for. However, you will not have any problems relocating, with youngsters to Oakville, Milton or any other towns such as Burlington and Georgetown.

If you want more specific advice, you would probably need to add where you/OH will be working and what youlike to do out of work.

Good luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:28 am
T4T
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvy
I would point you in the direction of Frances & Ken Wedlake (mother and son).

http://wedlake.ca/index.php?option=c...id=9&Itemid=10

We bought our house with Frances and sold it through the pair of them. Really good. They know the Oakville property market inside out. They may not know Milton but they will certainly know who does.

Tell them I sent you. They will likely remember the Brit with the Quebecoise missus.
Dear Souvy

Many thanks for the reply and for the information.

I'll contact them and mention that you recommended them to me.

T4T
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 5:33 am
T4T
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gtown
Hi,

If I could offer some advice, from experience, do not buy before you have lived in the area. Luckily we rented and got to know what each place had to offer, what the house prices were like and what the transportation links were like.

It is difficult to describe a place without putting your own spin on things and that will depend on what you want or are looking for. However, you will not have any problems relocating, with youngsters to Oakville, Milton or any other towns such as Burlington and Georgetown.

If you want more specific advice, you would probably need to add where you/OH will be working and what youlike to do out of work.

Good luck.

Hi Gtown

Many thanks for the reply and the advice.

You're right, renting is the best idea especially when one's is moving to an entirely new country.
I've never looked into Georgetown. How far away from Mississauga is it?
Hubby and I don't have jobs yet. I'll be moving over with the kids so that start school in September and likely to be working in Mississauga area as I work in the Pharmaceutical industry and that's where most of them are based.

Hubby will stay in the UK until he's done all the necessary exams and then move over later.

Lots to think about and to do too!

Thanks
T4T
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I live in Milton - it's nice, good location, but doesn't really have the "old town" feeling of Oakville. Milton's primary demographic seems to be families with young children, so there are tons of schools, sports centers, etc. and is just starting to get the big box stores so you don't have to drive to Mississauga. Milton is getting expensive, but still not as expensive as Oakville.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I live in Milton - it's nice, good location, but doesn't really have the "old town" feeling of Oakville. Milton's primary demographic seems to be families with young children, so there are tons of schools, sports centers, etc. and is just starting to get the big box stores so you don't have to drive to Mississauga. Milton is getting expensive, but still not as expensive as Oakville.
The advantage of Milton over Oakville is predominantly the price - you get more property for the money but it doesn't have the "old town" feel of Oakville. We, like you, fell in love with Oakville right from the first day we came here on our recce. We rented first to check out the commute and bought 6 months later. We are still here after nearly seven years and totally love it. Another possibility is Burlington - on lakeshore (like Oakville) has nice downtown area but as it is further from Toronto - it is a little cheaper.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:40 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Prices on the high side in Oakville? - good lordy try Vancouver!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

gtown is an unknown quantity at this point

The commute from Milton or Georgetown intro Mississauga is quite easy, if you can avoid the 401. Oakville is closer, but its an "urban" commute into Mississauga.

As one of the other poster has said, housing in less expensive in Milton and Georgetown but will not have everything on your doorstep except easier access to the countryside.

You just have to experience each place for yourself and choose the one that best fits you.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:26 am
T4T
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gtown
The commute from Milton or Georgetown intro Mississauga is quite easy, if you can avoid the 401. Oakville is closer, but its an "urban" commute into Mississauga.

As one of the other poster has said, housing in less expensive in Milton and Georgetown but will not have everything on your doorstep except easier access to the countryside.

You just have to experience each place for yourself and choose the one that best fits you.

Hi Gtown

Many thanks for the reply. Can't wait for our trip in April!!!

T4T
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

If you're still looking for an agent my brother is one, working in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area. Let me know if you'd like his details. He's also an expat so has done the move.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:34 pm
GO FLAMES GO!!!!

Steve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to beholdSteve&Tanya is a splendid one to behold

Hi.

When we where going to move to oakville/milton, we met a realtor called John Clark.

John is an expat who I would highly reccomend. He goes that extra mile to look after you, not only in real estate.

Www.homefindnow.ca

Good luck for the move.

Steve
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:41 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mrs-G
If you're still looking for an agent my brother is one, working in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton area. Let me know if you'd like his details. He's also an expat so has done the move.
Thanks for the reply Mrs G. I've contacted a few realtors recommended by people on this forum.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 9:41 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve&Tanya
Hi.

When we where going to move to oakville/milton, we met a realtor called John Clark.

John is an expat who I would highly reccomend. He goes that extra mile to look after you, not only in real estate.

Www.homefindnow.ca

Good luck for the move.

Steve
Thanks for the reply steve & Tanya. I've contacted a few realtors recommended by people on this forum.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 1:00 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I currently live in Oakville and do rather like it here. I commute into Toronto daily from Bronte GO station and it's about 35 - 40 mins to Exhibition (used to be to Union but we moved offices last week). It's not a bad commute, far better than getting into London (UK not Ontario), which I used to loathe doing.

Oakville does seem to have a bit of reputation for being expensive / stuck up, a bit like Royal Tunbridge Wells (*shudders* at putting the Royal there) but it's not all like that, and thus it isn't all super expensive. We're in a rather nice house and it didn't cost an absolute fortune. Compared to what the same money in the UK would buy it's very reasonable.

We are close to woodland and parks, Bronte Park is about a 15 min walk from where we live. There seem to be many schools around too.

Downtown Oakville is ok, perhaps it's me, but there doesn't seem to be too much to do down there, but then I don't go down there that often.

More than happy to answer any questions you might have, either here or via the private message system if there are things you want to ask, but not publicly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.