Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rece Trip (with kids) - Calgary - March

Rece Trip (with kids) - Calgary - March

Old Mar 12th 2014, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

JBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to allJBJ14 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rece Trip (with kids) - Calgary - March

Hi and good luck with the recce trip, we used a great realtor here too if you want her details pm me and I'll pass them on. We love the NW part of the city and moved to an area with a great community centre for the kids which they ride to. splash park in summer, ice rink in winter, playground and regular family events which is awesome.

We have been here almost 1 year now so if you need any other info, feel free to drop me a pm.

Good Luck :-)
Wayne
Old Mar 12th 2014, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sealaig
but it is good to know if he is commuting to Calgary that from Airdrie would be a pain. I may need to look into alternatives if that happens.. thanks
it depends how you look at it

there's loads of car-pools and other stuff...

if push came to shove (this is me thinking on a family point of view) and i could make good enough money, in a decent job, close to home then i'd be more inclined to put up with an hour or so in the car every day as opposed to flying up North for 2 weeks at a time!
Old Mar 12th 2014, 8:47 am
Been here a while

Sealaig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by haggis88
it depends how you look at it

there's loads of car-pools and other stuff...

if push came to shove (this is me thinking on a family point of view) and i could make good enough money, in a decent job, close to home then i'd be more inclined to put up with an hour or so in the car every day as opposed to flying up North for 2 weeks at a time!
True, i guess I'm not used to thinking about other options. As in NS we don't have many alternatives.

Last edited by Sealaig; Mar 12th 2014 at 8:49 am.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Mrs A and Co is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Rece Trip (with kids) - Calgary - March

Originally Posted by Green Toadster
Hi there,

My husband and I are coming over for a Rece trip to Calgary in early March with our 3 children (aged 4 months, 5 and 7). My husband is moving with his work so does not need to worry about looking for employment (I am taking a career break to be a full time mum so won't be looking for employment either). We will be moving over at the end of June/early July this year. As we are only going to be there for 5 days we just really want to have a wee look around and get a feel for the place as we are going to be spending the next three years there! My husbands company will be booking us somewhere to stay for the rece trip (and they are also arranging car hire for us too), however we plan on living in a serviced apartment for the first 6 weeks of the actual move to ensure that we have sufficient time to look about at the different areas of Calgary before renting a more long term property. The type of advice I am looking for is:

- Can anyone recommend a good relator that might be able to arm us with information re what we should bring over with us to house hunt properly?
- Can anyone recommend any good serviced apartments that we might be able to view ahead of the bigger move (probably up to a budget of $3000 a month)
- What sights are best to see to give us and the kids an overview of the city
- What should we pack (clothes wise) for ourselves and the kids, we are from Scotland and are used to cold weather, but how "cold" is cold in Calgary in March e.g. would the kids regular winter jackets be enough or should we invest in something a little more heavy weight?
- Are there any official paperwork things that we should kick off on our 1st visit or does everything need to wait until we actually arrive for our 3 years

All help/suggestions very welcome, feeling a little bit overwhelmed at the enormity of the task of moving...

Thanks!
Good morning,

So.. How was your trip to Calgary? Perhaps I've missed your updates.. Just hoping you had a great trip
Old Mar 18th 2014, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Green Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of light

WARNING – LONG POST ALERT! I cover the whole trip!!!!!!!

Hey all! Sorry this has taken so long (I've sat down and started to draft it a few times and always got interrupted, the joys of 3 kids!). So........we all had an absolutely fab trip to Calgary and are now really excited about making the big move over. I'll start at the beginning...

Clothing – We had been planning on not buying too much in the way of “proper” winter gear and just planning to get through the trip with lots of layers and some good old uk winter jackets and buy new stuff for the real winter in Calgary. However given that there had been a brutally cold snap (-25 and colder with wind chill), we went a bit mad in the North Face Sale buying thermal basewear, ski trousers and winter jackets. Even though we technically could have gone without them as a chinook blew in 12 hours after we arrived and raised the temp for the whole visit to a lovely -1 to 5 degrees. They were still a godsend as the kids wanted to roll about in the snow as they haven’t seen real deep snow for a good couple of years. The gear won’t go to waste as we bought the stuff big enough that it will still fit the girls for this winter when we are actually over there.

We flew over with British Airways and I can highly recommend them even though it was via Heathrow the flight went really well, they made a fuss of the children and made sure that we had everything we needed. They pre booked us an extra leg room seat that allowed us to have access to a fold down table that they put a baby carry cot on for us. This was an absolute life saver as I couldn't have managed with my littlest in my arms for 9 hours! It would only do for a baby up to 4-6 months max but our 4.5 month boy was very happy snuggled in it. Think we will need to trade up for the bouncer style chair for our next visit in June though as he will be pushing out of it by then. I would highly recommend booking these seats with BA in advance, they don't charge extra for this service as you have an infant with you. Also my older children (5 and 7) were more than happy with the range of inflight entertainment. They also "loved" sitting behind mummy and daddy as it made them feel all grown up.

We arrived at about 5pm and the transfer through the airport was really quick and smooth, we easily found the car hire place and picked up the car that my husband’s work had rented for us. I say car but it was more like a truck, it was massive and quite daunting to drive although we got the hang of it soon enough. We also hired out a Sat Nav which turned out to be a life saver for the whole trip and would thoroughly recommend this if anyone is thinking of hiring a car (myself and my other half would have definitely have come to blow on the navigation side of things without it!). We drove to our apartment which was in a great location and had everything that we could possibly need. It really was like a home from home, so much so that we are going to book back in for our first few weeks in July (They were the Premier Exec Suites and are in Eau Claire). Underground (heated) parking, lifts, nice reception area and communal snooker room). Really central location and we could walk to quite a few places (and save us taking the monster truck out!).

We made the mistake of letting the kids go to bed at their usual bed time (local time of 8pm), in hindsight we should have kept them up later as they both woke up at 3am local time and couldn’t get back to sleep again (my poor husband stayed up with them). It all came good in the end though as after a wee disco nap the next afternoon in the car they went to bed at usual (local time) again and it kicked them into their Calgary sleeping pattern.

Banff
We took a drive out to Banff on the first day (as we thought it would be quieter than at the weekend). It took about an hour from downtown but was really easy to navigate to. Lovely little place, lots of touristy type shops on a picturesque high street, scenery was stunning. We took a Gondola ride up Sulphur Mountain, it was quite pricey but worth it as the girls loved it and kept asking if we could climb the mountain (this was the easier option!). You can walk up a further 440 steps at the top, but I made the mistake of carrying my youngest so sat in the café with him whilst my other half took the kids right up. Tip would be to take a baby carrier with you for the last part. Great views. We had lunch in the Maple Leaf Grill which was really nice too, not too expensive and they entertained the kids with colouring stuff. Would have like to have gone in the hot springs but didn’t realise it was there and we hadn’t packed any swimming stuff.

Downtown and Calgary Tower
Another day we had a wee walk around downtown and went up the Calgary Tower. This was great for getting our bearings and kept the fun factor up for the kids who loved the glass floor. We made the mistake of not booking the revolving restaurant at the top and in hindsight this would have been great for lunch (your get free access to the tower when you have lunch there too). We then ended up having lunch at a place called Milestones which was lovely and actually was about the only place in downtown we could find that was open and allowed kids in. Later found out that lots of downtown restaurants don’t open till later on Saturday/Sundays as it is much quieter as all of the offices are closed.

Princes Island
Kids had been harping on about going to a play park and wanting to make snow angels so day 3 we let them blow off steam on Princes Island, great wee playpark and lots of snow on the grass for a few snowball fights and snow angel fun. Black squirrel spotting and there were 3 Owl’s perched on a tree to look at too! Lovely wee place to have lunch (riverside café), but you should defo book this in advance.

Visited others who had made the move
Spent a couple of afternoons visiting people who were known through mutual friends and who had made the leap to living in Calgary. Was brilliant to get a wee look inside their house and to pick their brains on how they found the transition.

Met with a Realtor
Met with a realtor who gave us lots of practical information on whether to rent or buy in Calgary. She also gave us a great book (CREB MLS Community and street atlas), this helped us when we were driving around lots of areas to look at. We think we are going to look at a laked community as we think this will suit us with the girls.

Visited the Chinook Centre
Might sound strange but I wanted to get a look at the type of shops available just so I knew what to expect when I got over there! Got a really pleasant surprise to see a number of familiar shops together with some appealing new ones that I look forward to trying! The interactive Map system was great to navigate your way about the centre.

Area sussing!
Spent a good amount of time driving about areas that we had heard were nice places to stay with kids. Liking the look of Elbow Valley (amongst others). Took a wee drive down to Chapparal to get a look at what was on offer on a new build (although think this is too far out for us). Drove out to Cochrane and although really nice, think this is a bit too far out for us too. Real house hunting will be waiting until July when we are staying in a serviced apartment.

All in all we had a ball, kids didn’t even want to get the flight home, they couldn’t understand why we couldn’t just stay as we were there already! Evening flight home was great as everyone practically slept the whole way home! Happy days. Congrats if you made it to the end of this, I didn’t realise how long it was!!!!!!
Old Mar 18th 2014, 11:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Great post and good to hear that you enjoyed your 'recce' trip and that the kids did too!

Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Green Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of lightGreen Toadster is a glorious beacon of light

So...we all arrived safe on the 4th of July, in time for Stampede too which was great.

After a good few days of searching we found a house to rent in Garrison Green near Marda Loop which is lovely, has a number of parks around it for the kids, close to downtown for work.

We have now registered the kids for school which is a relief as there were a number capped out, especially near Cougar Ridge with some families saying their kids are travelling around 8km to school every day. The school we have is within walking distance which is great, although we appreciate that won't be possible for 7 months or more of the year.

We also got our healthcare and driving licences set up, but were surprised that they took our paper copy and driving card from us which is now causing us some issues in terms of insurance. The insurance company we have are saying they need original copies of the paper licence to prove we have been driving since 1997 not our photocopies, so rather than having 12 years experience they can only give us 3 - which has pushed the premium right up. We have also given them the original letter from our insurers which confirms our no claims of 12 years too. Can anyone recommend an insurer that will take a photocopy of my paper licence and letter from previous UK insurer as proof as it could save us $700 or so per annum? we have been quoted $2,400 for a Ford Explorer 2015 model.

At the end of June we took advantage of the ski resort that offered major discounts on the family passes too, I think it was Nikiska (or spelt something like that?) - so we look forward to that.

Overall, the experience so far has been excellent along with the weather, everyone has been so friendly and welcoming!

If someone can please help on the insurance it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

stuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond reputestuabroad has a reputation beyond repute

So...we all arrived safe on the 4th of July, in time for Stampede too which was great.

After a good few days of searching we found a house to rent in Garrison Green near Marda Loop which is lovely, has a number of parks around it for the kids, close to downtown for work.

We have now registered the kids for school which is a relief as there were a number capped out, especially near Cougar Ridge with some families saying their kids are travelling around 8km to school every day. The school we have is within walking distance which is great, although we appreciate that won't be possible for 7 months or more of the year.

We also got our healthcare and driving licences set up, but were surprised that they took our paper copy and driving card from us which is now causing us some issues in terms of insurance. The insurance company we have are saying they need original copies of the paper licence to prove we have been driving since 1997 not our photocopies, so rather than having 12 years experience they can only give us 3 - which has pushed the premium right up. We have also given them the original letter from our insurers which confirms our no claims of 12 years too. Can anyone recommend an insurer that will take a photocopy of my paper licence and letter from previous UK insurer as proof as it could save us $700 or so per annum? we have been quoted $2,400 for a Ford Explorer 2015 model.

At the end of June we took advantage of the ski resort that offered major discounts on the family passes too, I think it was Nikiska (or spelt something like that?) - so we look forward to that.

Overall, the experience so far has been excellent along with the weather, everyone has been so friendly and welcoming!

If someone can please help on the insurance it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Glad you made it, welcome

I'm calling BS on whoever you spoke to. Go see AMA, they honoured my UK paperwork and some of the no claims bonus. This may be down to who you speak to.

Btw be very careful buying a new vehicle at dealerships here, have found ALL of them to be crooks so far (just my experience) - do your research and have them compete against each other. You should be able to pick up a better deal on 2014 model year as they need to clear their inventory to make way for 2015.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks Stu, we are leasing for 3 years so got the employee guarantee or whatever it's called?

We negotiated down on price but it was a good deal (we think - around $7k off) and no down payment required either - it was a 2015 model so new stock as there was no 2014 model available for us.

Will try that insurance company - thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Have PM'd you the name of a fabulous broker who will give you a great price on insurance.

Ours is no-where near what you have been quoted and she takes your no claims into account.

Old Jul 25th 2014, 5:11 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much all!

My colleague got an excellent quote with Intact? Giving just copies of his documents to his broker, but the annoying thing is the broker I am dealing with is stating that Intact require original documents in a sealed envelope to be accepted which was not the same as my colleague.

Sounds suss to me..
Old Jul 26th 2014, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

WARNING – LONG POST ALERT! I cover the whole trip!!!!!!!

Hey all! Sorry this has taken so long (I've sat down and started to draft it a few times and always got interrupted, the joys of 3 kids!). So........we all had an absolutely fab trip to Calgary and are now really excited about making the big move over. I'll start at the beginning...

Clothing – We had been planning on not buying too much in the way of “proper” winter gear and just planning to get through the trip with lots of layers and some good old uk winter jackets and buy new stuff for the real winter in Calgary. However given that there had been a brutally cold snap (-25 and colder with wind chill), we went a bit mad in the North Face Sale buying thermal basewear, ski trousers and winter jackets. Even though we technically could have gone without them as a chinook blew in 12 hours after we arrived and raised the temp for the whole visit to a lovely -1 to 5 degrees. They were still a godsend as the kids wanted to roll about in the snow as they haven’t seen real deep snow for a good couple of years. The gear won’t go to waste as we bought the stuff big enough that it will still fit the girls for this winter when we are actually over there.

We flew over with British Airways and I can highly recommend them even though it was via Heathrow the flight went really well, they made a fuss of the children and made sure that we had everything we needed. They pre booked us an extra leg room seat that allowed us to have access to a fold down table that they put a baby carry cot on for us. This was an absolute life saver as I couldn't have managed with my littlest in my arms for 9 hours! It would only do for a baby up to 4-6 months max but our 4.5 month boy was very happy snuggled in it. Think we will need to trade up for the bouncer style chair for our next visit in June though as he will be pushing out of it by then. I would highly recommend booking these seats with BA in advance, they don't charge extra for this service as you have an infant with you. Also my older children (5 and 7) were more than happy with the range of inflight entertainment. They also "loved" sitting behind mummy and daddy as it made them feel all grown up.

We arrived at about 5pm and the transfer through the airport was really quick and smooth, we easily found the car hire place and picked up the car that my husband’s work had rented for us. I say car but it was more like a truck, it was massive and quite daunting to drive although we got the hang of it soon enough. We also hired out a Sat Nav which turned out to be a life saver for the whole trip and would thoroughly recommend this if anyone is thinking of hiring a car (myself and my other half would have definitely have come to blow on the navigation side of things without it!). We drove to our apartment which was in a great location and had everything that we could possibly need. It really was like a home from home, so much so that we are going to book back in for our first few weeks in July (They were the Premier Exec Suites and are in Eau Claire). Underground (heated) parking, lifts, nice reception area and communal snooker room). Really central location and we could walk to quite a few places (and save us taking the monster truck out!).

We made the mistake of letting the kids go to bed at their usual bed time (local time of 8pm), in hindsight we should have kept them up later as they both woke up at 3am local time and couldn’t get back to sleep again (my poor husband stayed up with them). It all came good in the end though as after a wee disco nap the next afternoon in the car they went to bed at usual (local time) again and it kicked them into their Calgary sleeping pattern.

Banff
We took a drive out to Banff on the first day (as we thought it would be quieter than at the weekend). It took about an hour from downtown but was really easy to navigate to. Lovely little place, lots of touristy type shops on a picturesque high street, scenery was stunning. We took a Gondola ride up Sulphur Mountain, it was quite pricey but worth it as the girls loved it and kept asking if we could climb the mountain (this was the easier option!). You can walk up a further 440 steps at the top, but I made the mistake of carrying my youngest so sat in the café with him whilst my other half took the kids right up. Tip would be to take a baby carrier with you for the last part. Great views. We had lunch in the Maple Leaf Grill which was really nice too, not too expensive and they entertained the kids with colouring stuff. Would have like to have gone in the hot springs but didn’t realise it was there and we hadn’t packed any swimming stuff.

Downtown and Calgary Tower
Another day we had a wee walk around downtown and went up the Calgary Tower. This was great for getting our bearings and kept the fun factor up for the kids who loved the glass floor. We made the mistake of not booking the revolving restaurant at the top and in hindsight this would have been great for lunch (your get free access to the tower when you have lunch there too). We then ended up having lunch at a place called Milestones which was lovely and actually was about the only place in downtown we could find that was open and allowed kids in. Later found out that lots of downtown restaurants don’t open till later on Saturday/Sundays as it is much quieter as all of the offices are closed.

Princes Island
Kids had been harping on about going to a play park and wanting to make snow angels so day 3 we let them blow off steam on Princes Island, great wee playpark and lots of snow on the grass for a few snowball fights and snow angel fun. Black squirrel spotting and there were 3 Owl’s perched on a tree to look at too! Lovely wee place to have lunch (riverside café), but you should defo book this in advance.

Visited others who had made the move
Spent a couple of afternoons visiting people who were known through mutual friends and who had made the leap to living in Calgary. Was brilliant to get a wee look inside their house and to pick their brains on how they found the transition.

Met with a Realtor
Met with a realtor who gave us lots of practical information on whether to rent or buy in Calgary. She also gave us a great book (CREB MLS Community and street atlas), this helped us when we were driving around lots of areas to look at. We think we are going to look at a laked community as we think this will suit us with the girls.

Visited the Chinook Centre
Might sound strange but I wanted to get a look at the type of shops available just so I knew what to expect when I got over there! Got a really pleasant surprise to see a number of familiar shops together with some appealing new ones that I look forward to trying! The interactive Map system was great to navigate your way about the centre.

Area sussing!
Spent a good amount of time driving about areas that we had heard were nice places to stay with kids. Liking the look of Elbow Valley (amongst others). Took a wee drive down to Chapparal to get a look at what was on offer on a new build (although think this is too far out for us). Drove out to Cochrane and although really nice, think this is a bit too far out for us too. Real house hunting will be waiting until July when we are staying in a serviced apartment.

All in all we had a ball, kids didn’t even want to get the flight home, they couldn’t understand why we couldn’t just stay as we were there already! Evening flight home was great as everyone practically slept the whole way home! Happy days. Congrats if you made it to the end of this, I didn’t realise how long it was!!!!!!

Old Jul 26th 2014, 12:39 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The school we have is within walking distance which is great, although we appreciate that won't be possible for 7 months or more of the year.
Our kids walked to elementary school (10-15 mins each way) every single day. Do not think you cannot do it - far too many people are just lazy and look to use the weather as an excuse. On the 15 minute walk, we used to pass garage doors opening one after another and our kids' classmates being driven the half-mile to school. Inexcusable and sets a terrible example to the kids.