Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reccomend an area

Reccomend an area

Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:44 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Reccomend an area

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know lots of people who don't drive but, except for Souvenir, they all live in Toronto within the bounds of the TTC. I think the combination of Canada, not driving and not wanting to live around people is extremely limiting; your partner would have to take you everywhere. I think step one is learning to drive.

A job in conservation is another problem. I know people working for conservation authorities in Southern Ontario. It might be different elsewhere but getting their jobs required a combination of "relevant" education, e.g. a degree in forestry, and a long wait/bribery. It's not an easy field to enter and, btw, it doesn't pay a living wage.
No, I don't live in TO but I do live somewhere with a good bus service, which also serves Ottawa. Plus, I don't need a car to work and am prepared to walk further than North Americans.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

You could live in towns like St Thomas Ontario. Which has about 28,000 people. very Close to London Ontario. It is a blue collar town. but it will have everything you need and has a bus service. but only in the city limits. London would be a Taxi ride. There are small towns like that, that are close to major population centers. But far away to keep them small and sleepy. The is also Tillsonburg Ontario which has 14,000 and has transit systems less blue collar. You still need a Taxi or Greyhound if you need to go to London....These towns are sleepy and very slow pace.....you won't find that much of a difference between 5,000 to 35,000 imo. The towns are quiet and peaceful and layed back.

Canada is built for the car. Your missing so much by not driving.

Last edited by Essex_Man; Jun 10th 2009 at 2:03 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Learning to drive is strongly recomended.

In small town canada its not nearly as intimidating as the UK anyway, there is far less traffic, parking is a doddle. Plus its unlikely you will be the least competent person on the roads judging by what I see every day

You wont find a small comunity that has public transport. Taxis are an option, but again, in a small town, not convenient.

Bad enough waiting for a bus as a student in leeds where they come every fifteen minutes and the worst weather is a bit of rain. I would not want to be hanging around with kids for long periods for a less frequent bus service in a medium sized town in a february blizzard.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 10th 2009 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

islandboy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Recommend an area

Hello
Before being able to recommend an area, you really need to tell us which Province, what type of work you and your husband are looking for, what type of climate you would like. There are a few I could recommend that nearly meet your criteria but without knowing more of what your requirements are its a bit like pinning the tail on the donkey. What part of Fife are from? as my wife is from Dunfermline in Fife.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest Campbellford in Ontario. You can walk to the shops, it's pretty, has schools, restaurants, a pub, and Iain playing on his big trombone tonight.

It's in Northumberland county which has a very arty community.

You do need to learn to drive though. I don't think there is any public transport there. We live in a village that has a bus service once a week to Peterborough, this is good.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Its simple

the expected critical mass to justify public transport is much higher than europe

public transport = lots of people
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

British Columbia does offer some public transport in smaller communities.

Main website: http://www.busonline.ca/default.cfm

Link to list of communities served: http://www.busonline.ca/regions/default.cfm?p=1.txt

Perhaps you should consider mainland BC or Vancouver Island.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My father in law lives out in the sticks in greater vancouver (Whonnock) and the area gives an immense feeling of solitude and open space. Not a high population in the direct vicinity however you're close enough to a larger populace to make life easier.

There's a bus that passes by the end of his road every 2 hours that gets you into an area where you can get more transport towards Downtown Vancouver. This would be a heck of a journey but it's possible.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

dbd was online early this morning... I would have answered much the same way if I'd been up earlier. But I'll add to the chorus anyway. You won't find a community of < 5,000 that has public transit. Living in a place like that with no car will be difficult. Living in a place like that with only one car will be a pain, especially if you have kids.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:41 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Heh. I think everyone's pretty much covered it.

I think you need to decide what is more important to you: living in a small town or having public transit. I don't drive either, but I live in an urban area so it doesn't matter. Buses come by every 5-10 minutes - as a non-driver, you dont' want to be stuck waiting for a bus every 2 hours, it will pall very quickly.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Its simple

the expected critical mass to justify public transport is much higher than europe

public transport = lots of people
Doesn't public vs private ownership also play a part?
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:00 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Doesn't public vs private ownership also play a part?
It plays a part

But I think the fact that so many own a car and that’s the norm, that you need a much bigger critical population mass to make a transport service worthwhile public or private

Even the inner city transport systems are noticeably inferior to their European counterpart’s size for size
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK
It plays a part

But I think the fact that so many own a car and that’s the norm, that you need a much bigger critical population mass to make a transport service worthwhile public or private

Even the inner city transport systems are noticeably inferior to their European counterpart’s size for size
That and the fact that north Americans are wedded to their cars. My neighbours drive to the corner store. I get there quicker on foot.

Years ago, before I moved to Canada, I was at a meeting and needing to go my next one. I had a rough idea of where it was and asked the bloke I'd been taking to (a Welshman) if it was walkable.

"European walkable or Canadian walkable?" was his reply.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

What about the Edmonton area? There's a nice little town right beside Edmonton called St Albert, it has public transport links into Edmonton.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirstine
There's a nice little town right beside Edmonton called St Albert
The residents of St. Alberta will be outraged at your comments.

St. Albert has city status.

http://www.stalbert.ca/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.