Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reccie to NS and driving

Reccie to NS and driving

Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reccie to NS and driving

Originally Posted by Emmjay
Hi All

I am planning a reccie to NS in September this year. My question is do i need to hire a car? I am planning on doing Truro and Halifax mainly, as these are the best areas for my line of work and plan on meeting the RDAs for these areas.

I am a bit nervous about driving on the right hand side of the road, and as i am on my own and will not have anyone to shre the driving, i just wondered if getting a bus would be simpler or is it better to hire a car. Also i am worried about the cost of hiring a car, parking and petrol etc. From previous coach tours in NS and various websites, i know Acadian buses go between Truro and Halifax and there's Metro in Halifax/Dartmouth etc. Do i really need to hire a car?

Any advice welcome.

Emmjay
You're certainly going to confuse a few people back home saying you're moving to Halifax!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:57 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
sounds good! I might just have to tie one leg to the other so I don't go for the clutch and slam on the brake
nothing new there then
Old May 1st 2008, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Hi there, just wanted to add that hiring a car from the airport location will cost you more than in a downtown location it works out to about an extra $150 a week on a mid size car, there is a surchage for the airport so take a taxi into Halifax first then hire a car for your trip, we have used Avis on Kempt Road for years and now have a discount set up as a bed and breakfast .If you book early you will get a better rate than leaving to last minute as prices fluctuate with supply and demand during high season.

the link is on my website not sure if I can put it in a post or not? Also you can return an Avis car back to the airport location when you leave without an extra charge....hope that saves someone a few dollars. the taxi fare from the Airport to Halifax is usually around $53-55 dollars whether you take a limo or car.
JS
Old May 1st 2008, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

I have found when hiring a car from the airport or downtown Halifax the cost is the same. In fact I drove from downtown once to collect a car from the airport, because they had more choice of vehicles there and I stood a better chance of being upgraded to something better for the same money. I had been shown the choices in Halifax and decided to take a chance, wow was it worth it ended up with a stunning car. If I need a nice car I just nip down to the airport.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
You're certainly going to confuse a few people back home saying you're moving to Halifax!
That's how we ended up in Nova Scotia. We were looking for property in Halifax UK and Halifax NS came up. If it wasn't for the internet I would not be with my gorgeous guy or living in NS.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
I have found when hiring a car from the airport or downtown Halifax the cost is the same. In fact I drove from downtown once to collect a car from the airport, because they had more choice of vehicles there and I stood a better chance of being upgraded to something better for the same money. I had been shown the choices in Halifax and decided to take a chance, wow was it worth it ended up with a stunning car. If I need a nice car I just nip down to the airport.
I agree about the cost, I have always found the quotes the same. I never thought about the choice thing though. Thats a good tip.
Old May 1st 2008, 7:02 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I booked our car through Canadian Affair with airport pick up and found it no more expensive than going direct to downtown branch.

I also got a deal for reduced sat nav hire through them.
Old May 1st 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

TIP
If you're nervous about driving on the right then pop a post stick note on the steering wheel and draw a simple diagram to remind you which side of the road you should be on and which way to drive round roundabouts!

It may sound stupid but even after 3 years of driving in France if there is no traffic around and I'm having a blonde moment and I'm at a junction I can be damned if I can remember which side I should be on! I guess that's why my OH prefers to do the driving
Old May 1st 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Roundabouts? as in plural?? Please don't tell me that Halifax & NS has more than the Armdale rotary now

The Armdale rotary was a source of hilarity to the Brits when I lived out there! nobody knew how to drive round it and loads of our pals would go out of their way to avoid it. I have a girlfriend who's office overlooks it and they use it a a source of entertainment!
Old May 1st 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LiffyB
Roundabouts? as in plural?? Please don't tell me that Halifax & NS has more than the Armdale rotary now

The Armdale rotary was a source of hilarity to the Brits when I lived out there! nobody knew how to drive round it and loads of our pals would go out of their way to avoid it. I have a girlfriend who's office overlooks it and they use it a a source of entertainment!
As I've never been outside Europe I just assumed every country had roundabouts! Saying that I've never seen any on any N.A. video footage, film etc. So perhaps they don't have any, I have no idea, but if they don't have them then that's great news for me

Where I live in France, the French use roundabouts like a game of Russian roulette! I now find it quite normal to give way whilst going round just to avoid an accident! They also like to indicate as they are turning rather than before!
Old May 1st 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

The only Rotary we have come across is just outside Pictou but it's very large.
Old May 1st 2008, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

The Rotary has been changed into a roundabout now with lots of really big lane markings and signs so you know how to drive around its the same as we do in UK with a roundabout! still fun sitting in the Armview frestaurant watching the locals struggle at rush hour...
The car hire tip was based on the fact that i was giving you my promo code to use and that they will always guarantee a car no matter what. we didnt experience any of our guests getting an cheaper deal from airport location only if they had booked on some rally good internet deal in which case thats even better.. JS
Old May 2nd 2008, 11:58 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Thanks, everyone for all the helpful comments. I feel soooo much better about driving when i come out to NS now.

If the locals cannot even manage rotary's or roundabouts (whatever they are called over there), then i think i can manage, i hope!!!

I will have to check our this Armdale restaurant at some point, when i move over, just for the entertainment factor, sounds like a good laugh.

I will keep you all informed about how i get on, should give everyone a laugh.....

Emmjay